Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: First Opt-In Beta Test
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:31 am 

jking wrote:
hbk brought up a really good point. Nades are very overpowered. Sure, I "like" that because I'm a sucker for them, and I like doing 'set' nades all over the place.

But in all fairness, it would help the objective of making AAPG a 'strategy' FPS game by making the pulling-nades sounds (and the pins) much louder, sort of like in AA2. It would also help to make the distance at which you can hear nade pins much greater. This helps prevent those customary "nades from heaven" and it deters the thoughtless usage of them. If nades are that powerful, it shouldn't be that easy to use them, if you get my drift.

When the nades are that powerful, they need to also have some liabilities. If you increase the volume of pulling a nade and increase the distance at which you can hear them being cooked, players will have to be more thoughtful and careful before they resort to them.

A change like this can easily create more teamwork and, perhaps, considerably less frustration for new players who get blown up out of nowhere, constantly, with no inkling of why it happens so easily. Imagine comms like this: "Hey, make some noise, so I can throw this nade." "Take cover; they're nading!"

Consider that rambo-type player that likes to run around and rack up kills. He/she is going to think twice before running up behind some folks and trying to nade them. They'll have to scout and create better angles, and likely wait until there's a lot of commotion to pull and cook a nade/flash, rather than just cooking it and KNOWING they won't ever know it's coming.

There is a 67 page thread about grenades on the forum it went something like this.

Realism guys: Perfectly fine nothing wrong with them if anything they should do even more damage than they currently do.

General opinion: They are too powerful maybe make the blast radius smaller.

My opinion: No cooking of grenades to add more of a skill to use them instead of throwing nuke bombs. p.s cooking grenades like what happens in this game is not realistic.

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:31 pm 

frankof wrote:
Opt out when you're done.

Yeah I know I can do that, and will.. I am excited to see whats new, but also like to play with my clan most days so in order to be able to do this I would be installing and un-installing all day I can handle spectating for a while, but I think the amount of people ready for a change may outweigh the amount of servers available and slots on those servers..

In the end, it will be worth seeing whats new, I do love the game and appreciate all the hard work yous dev's put into it!!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:11 pm 

Hello Forum,

I really hope that the possible revivetime will be adjustable by a server variable.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:17 pm 

[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
_V@POR_ wrote:
Don't know why this is back (revive timer)

We had it once....we hated it....so hey....let's bring it back :(

You must be thinking of something else, we did not have this previously.

Ok...it was the "secure" timer. But it's the same thing essentially....tossing caution to the wind for the sake of "quickly" reviving a teammate before the clock runs out.

When the secure timer was out, you could secure an enemy and "unsecure" them in an allotted time limit.
My opinion....pointless addition.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:18 pm 

_V@POR_ wrote:
Ok...it was the "secure" timer. But it's the same thing essentially....tossing caution to the wind for the sake of "quickly" reviving a teammate before the clock runs out.

When the secure timer was out, you could secure an enemy and "unsecure" them in an allotted time limit.
My opinion....pointless addition.

I thought more of the complaints about unsecure initially centered around the on-screen countdown timer acting as a proxy for spotting an enemy through walls.

When it got scrapped, I thought it was at least partially to accommodate the weapon drop system (secure enemy & weapon drops immediately instead of waiting 5 seconds).

5 seconds to unsecure knowing an enemy just acted is pretty different from something more like 15-45 that doesn't guarantee enemy proximity, so maybe players won't feel such a rush to act.

The change I'd predict is players being a little more passive after a kill. Instead of rushing and securing, you can sit back for a bit and essentially confirm/secure at a distance. Who knows if the Devs are aiming for that kind of pacing change; the smoke/fog discussion from the podcast might seem to suggest otherwise.

Ah well, we'll all know how it actually plays in a week.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:00 am 

TheBadaBing! wrote:

My opinion: No cooking of grenades to add more of a skill to use them instead of throwing nuke bombs. p.s cooking grenades like what happens in this game is not realistic.

I get what you want and why you want to have no cooking. But you keep suggesting it without mentioning that the fuse should be significantly shorter. You have been spearheading this change but I think I would be a mistake to not be able to cook grenades. I don't think cookin a grenade is OP.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:22 pm 

not being able to cook nades? wth?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:25 am 

Hyperlite wrote:
TheBadaBing! wrote:

I get what you want and why you want to have no cooking. But you keep suggesting it without mentioning that the fuse should be significantly shorter. You have been spearheading this change but I think I would be a mistake to not be able to cook grenades. I don't think cookin a grenade is OP.

Not that shorter only by a second or 2 at the most. Players want to improve the skill level of the game so an option to not cook grenades should be there. ive explained 4,000 times why. It's always surprising when a "comp" player questions this....

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:45 am 

why would you shorten the fuse at all? Have you timed from pulling the pin/letting the spoon go, and it blowing up? I was wondering so I did, and it was 3.5-4 seconds in game..

The only thing I would change is the damage. If you are within 5-7 feet, yes you are dead, but farther away, ehh. you will still get hit, but depends of distance, depends on how much damage you take.

But on topic..

Are we able to run a beta test server ourselves at all?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:22 am 

mulgarus wrote:
why would you shorten the fuse at all? Have you timed from pulling the pin/letting the spoon go, and it blowing up? I was wondering so I did, and it was 3.5-4 seconds in game..

The only thing I would change is the damage. If you are within 5-7 feet, yes you are dead, but farther away, ehh. you will still get hit, but depends of distance, depends on how much damage you take.

But on topic..

Are we able to run a beta test server ourselves at all?

All times in seconds, all data from AAGame.u
AAWeap_M67Frag: FuseTimeMin = 4.0
AAWeap_M83Smoke: FuseTimeMin = 2.0 (RIP)
AAWeap_M84Stun: FuseTimeMin = 1.8
AAWeap_M106FOG: FuseTimeMin = 1.5

Thought I saw a post saying you'd be able to host your own no problem during the opt-in

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements