Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:10 pm 

Welcome to AA. Its not a competitive game.

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 pm 

TheBadaBing! wrote:
Welcome to AA. Its not a competitive game.

so you condone the 13 month old baby, asking a 3 day old baby for advice on walking and first steps approach?
$tatus wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, in order for an FPS to be successful and thrive at the pub level, it has to be able to be equally successful at a comp level, and needs a larger skill gap

I'm not here to hype up the comp scene, i'm not even involved in comp currently, as there is 0 point to it right now, this game isn't even in good enough shape to support a SMALL comp league after close to 2 years of open beta.

So to all the pro pubbers out there including myself, you better realize the truth in the above quoted statement, or else you guys are going to have an even smaller, less experienced community that will drive the game below AA3 popularity. Would you like the game to succeed or not? i know a lot of people don't care for comp, or the comp community in general, but do note by axing them out you're only effecting the longevity and depth of player base, not going to be a very fun game to play if you're fighting to find a full server.
And again none of this was directed at you badabing just I do understand it's not a competitive game, but why bother leading the comp and skilled player crowd on, and giving them false hope. Honesty from the Devs and administration would really be the best policy at this point, if there is never any intent to include the comp community in any process or make this game more comp, and in turn pub friendly they've got to include this part of the community.
there's a reason why CS:GO has 100k active players at a given time, because it's built with a competitive environment being the focus, which attracts all the pubbers as well. Thanks and sorry for the wall of text!

Last edited by $tatus on Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:34 pm 

i think any game that has you shooting each other over the internet is competitive in nature, but thats just me :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
i think any game that has you shooting each other over the internet is competitive in nature, but thats just me :lol:

Different games have differing degrees of skill gap compression / randomness.

Not to say that all randomness is bad, far from it, but the prospect of nerfing player attention to sound is disturbing. I'll withhold judgment for now -- no sense getting worked up over rumor -- but I definitely remember a patch where comp games were pure sprint-in-and-shoot because you couldn't hear them coming until they were on top of you. That's anti-competitive in how it kills the importance of strategic positioning and creates a single optimal play style.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:38 pm 
Developer
Developer

The heresay Mr. EK posted simply isn't true.
Footstep distance and volume is unchanged in the new engine.

Whoever leaked that information most likely didn't take into account that sound is still very much in flux and that the levels are not fully set in the internal version.

The end result will have you hearing the same volume and distance on the footsteps.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:08 am 

[Dev]TheTots wrote:

Whoever leaked that information most likely didn't take into account that sound is still very much in flux and that the levels are not fully set in the internal version.

The end result will have you hearing the same volume and distance on the footsteps.

And this is why you have an NDA.

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:37 pm 

[Dev]TheTots wrote:

Every things relative. You can say "unchanged" but that doesn't say too much about the big picture (for example, different ambient sounds. Different sound bites and hte levels of sounds that aren't realated to footsteps). I don't doubt that the developers know what they are doing but my concern is in the fact that there are very VERY few people behind the scenes that have the hardware and comp knowledge to really tell if its conducive to a now growing competitive scene. It would be a shame for silly things to completely turn off a whole group of people for no reason other than that it just wasn't noticed. Its happened before.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:49 pm 

io_i_oi wrote:
They should raise the volume of footsteps a bit more while keeping ambient sound as is. I played with the default levels and with G930's. I think I only heard footsteps on InnerHosp and when enemy was on the opposing side of the wall. Or maybe that's the way it's supposed to be?

After tuning my headset with my new Mobo with onboard SupremeFX, my origianl statement/opinion can be removed. I now hear footsteps correctly and directionally on all maps after using my Sound Manager. But I don't have a problem with devs making tweaks to sounds.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion