Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: UMM Competition - MCHammer Interview
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:13 pm 
AACM
AACM

Creator of Industry, MCHammer, was kind enough to respond to our interview questions. Read what he has to say about the Mission Editor and his experience building his Top Three map.

AAPG: Tell us a bit about yourself!

MCHammer: I'm a guy! (you said only a bit)!

AAPG: How long have you been playing America’s Army?

MCHammer: I started playing AA a year ago back in November. Before that I played the Call Of Duty games 1,UO, 2 & 4 (anything after CoD4 is just console trash).

AAPG: How much experience do you have making levels?

MCHammer: I started making maps for Call Of Duty 2 using Radiant. Its very similar to the AAPG Editor except you don't have a builder brush to use and the maps used BSP's more than 3D models which helped people like me who haven't learned a 3D program. I made a weapons map for CoD2 and also this massive recreation of the Tower Bridge London out of just BSP's which took a very very long time and was really stupid because i tried to do it to a scale which i got all wrong and the bridge looked amazing but was just too massive to make a legit map out of it. Then to make matters worse I lost it a few months later which made me take a hiatus from mapping for an extremely long period of time ha.

AAPG: What was your approach and thought process going in to the creation of Industry?

MCHammer: The photos supplied in the original competition thread had a lot of grunge and older train yard photos so I guessed that was the type of map you guys wanted us to create. It was difficult for us all as we didn't really have that many assets for the train theme to be honest, only a few carriages, tracks and most of us are not really great at 3D modeling so we had to make do.

I didn't want to make the traditional train yard style map which is a big open area which would struggle to hold down any real routes so I modeled my map roughly off the same size as Harbor Assault and tried to create 3 main routes across the map with a cut through from the middle.

AAPG: Why did you choose the mission type that you did?

MCHammer: I got marked down in the map reviews for having a mission type that is not directly related to the theme of the map but I choose Extract as I thought that and Activate are the most popular public game types. So I went with Extract as I liked the idea of having 2 flags as that is what I enjoyed lots in Call of Duty 2 as it gives both sides something to attack and defend.

It would be good if I could set it so a team can only capture the flag if their own flag is returned to base. It would bring a new dimension to extract with a player trying to hide and defend himself while the other team hunts him down to capture the flag. This would work both ways for each team.

AAPG: Approximately how many hours have you put in to Industry?

MCHammer: I don't know about how many hours but i got the base of the map mocked up in about 5 days. It was relatively easy as i used the building meshes around the sides of the map to enclose it all in which saved time.
It then took about 2 weeks further to detail and fix bugs that i had trying to build lighting.

AAPG: What were the biggest obstacles or challenges you faced when making the map?

MCHammer: My graphics card broke half way making the map so I had to chuck in my old one so I had problems building the lighting as it only had 512mb and had to remove lots of grass & weeds I had placed to get it to build properly with literally nothing else open on my computer. Not even steam....

Also I used some decals on the floor which I found in harbor assault which gave a nice damaged look. The problem with these was they showed up black when I added a directional sunlight to the map and wasn't able to fix them. So that is why the map has no real lighting yet.

AAPG: If you had more time, what changes or additions would you make to the map?

MCHammer: I might of opened 1 or 2 of the warehouses along the sides and made the train yard a few more tracks wider. A directional sunlight. Try produce better buildings than what i bodged together by putting 2 buildings on top of each other (once you see it, it cannot be unseen).

As I said my graphics card dictated a lot on how the map ended up as i ran out of assets left to use. Its difficult to say as i haven't had the chance to play it with other players yet.

AAPG: Which of the Top 6 maps, other than your own, are you most excited about and why?

MCHammer: Like other people said I didn't really get chance to play many as the comp server wasn't always that active.

AAPG: Will you be making more maps in the future? If so, what type of map do you want to make?

MCHammer: Yes, I am trying to create a C4 competitive map now but I have got slightly lost having fun creating random decals. It’s a warehouse/compound with a wasteland/dumping ground which will draw some slight theme inspiration from CSGO map cache.

AAPG: Is there anything else you would like to say to us and the community?

MCHammer: Thanks for the competition and I hope the community starts to play the UMM's more giving love to maps that are not just AA2/AA3 remakes! A shoutout to Delta who is a great help to anyone that asks!

Post subject: Re: UMM Competition - MCHammer Interview
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm 

:)

do positive actions
and the positive grows.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:20 pm 

well done MCHammer, its a great map!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:52 pm 

Damn I get no love? lol j/k. Nice work dude! 2 thumbs up, well done! :wink:

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:38 am 

Ahhh Great interview..
Congrats on getting into the Top 3..
Love your map, looks awesome..
Thanks for the shout out..Always my pleasure..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements