Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: UMM Competition - The Final Three!
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:20 pm 
AACM
AACM

Over the past week we've played, tested and critiqued last week's six finalists. While all of the remaining six were great examples of what can be accomplished with the Mission Editor, we had to eliminate three and whittle the field down to the Top Three. And here they are:

• Industry by MCHammer
  • Night Infiltration by RedBaron64-ITA
  • Overload by Drecks

You can try out any of these outstanding maps by clicking on the links below.

Industry

Night Infiltration

Overload

Congratulations to our Top Three Finalists!

Post subject: Re: UMM Competition - The Final Three!
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:31 pm 

well doneguys, its getting to the point now where its sad there can be only one winner at the end, they are all awesome, well made maps.

good luck! :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
well doneguys, its getting to the point now where its sad there can be only one winner at the end, they are all awesome, well made maps.

good luck! :mrgreen:

I agree 100%! Good luck guys, well deserved.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:10 pm 

Superb atmospheres on all 3!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:18 am 

All three are great but Industry is seriously the best one!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:08 pm 
AACM
AACM

If you're wondering what happened to your post, I've removed a substantial number of posts from this thread. Some posts were in violation of the TOS, some quoted material which was in violation of the TOS, others just got caught in the middle.

If you posted in this thread, it might be a good idea to review our TOS now before warnings and bans are issued.

My apologies to the Top Three finalists. Once again please accept our congratulations, and we cannot wait to learn who will be selected as the winner of the UMM Competition.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:42 pm 

:D

do positive actions
and the positive grows.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm 
AACM
AACM

-Nero- wrote:
:D

Love your sig!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:44 pm 

From a previous post I had

Hyperlite wrote:
=IK=Doba= wrote:
Excellent stuff Hype.. I'm interested in your top 5 list ATM as they stand (or top 3 cause thats all we're allowed to vote on)

It's kinda difficult for a lot of reasons to find a top 5 based on all the circumstances. Initially this was portrayed to be a rail/railyard themed map contest. Once things changed you had submittals that were made from weeks/months before the contest was announced. So to some degree the playing field was not even.

I will give you my top three in order but to be perfectly honest I haven't played any of the 3 I'm going to say lol. This is all from me running around in the server and doing flyovers. Everyone of my recommendations I would change things on the map though. But you asked for "as is" so here you go.

1. Industry
2. Special Delivery (Dust)
3. Morobayu Station

Contenders that I think have a chance in no particular order

Drasza
Night Infiltration
Overload

Maps that i think are good but i just dont see them taking home a trophy

Bridge 2 Far
Last Stop
Wasteland

I purposely left Csar2 out of the lists because it is easily the most complete and ready to be an official map. Everyone knows the map from the old AA and has watched the progress of it in the mission editor threads.

If I was running this contest I would have 2 winners. Csar and one other

I think Industry is easily the best map and should win this competition by a landslide

Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 am 

I'd love to offer detailed feedback on all three of these, but I've only been able to log PvP time on Industry. I'm hopeful that the UMM Competition servers will get some love this week.

So, some brief thoughts based on fly-throughs:

Industry
- Love the objective mode for its novelty, not sure how it will stand up over time. I really like that it turns on its head the whole "Attack/Defense" roles we get locked into now. (This is part of why I wish for more success from the C4 maps; players have to switch mindsets halfway through each round.)
- This map has, by far, the clearest structure and rotations; it was clear where I could or could not run safely.
- The extraction points don't feel balanced to me, I think there's work to be done on that front. I'd much rather be assaulting the train yard than spawning there.
- This feels small for a FLO map to me, but I can't recall if that was a contest direction or not

Night Infiltration
- The invisible walls on the boundaries frustrate me; there were a lot of times where I wanted to go somewhere but couldn't
- X site funnels assault through a single doorway, rough. Even just making it to that door looks hard, with a lot of tricky camping spots for defense to choose from. The radio can be sniped at from a variety of locations.
- Those thin metal walls? The M14 and the M24 penetrate them. Imagine trying to take Y objective; a single defender on the catwalk (or upper Z roof, accessible from the catwalk) would totally shut that down single-handedly.
- If a defender can make it up that crane, that's a heck of a view (and pretty decent cover to boot)
- Running around, my overall sense was that I was very exposed, but it's hard to judge this without the dynamics of teams establishing zones of control

Overload
- This map feels big. Part of that's just unfamiliarity, I know, but even still it feels imposingly large.
- This is partially just a consequence of its size, but I had a really hard time assigning any sort of structure to the map's organization. I like to make flowcharts to understand map layout, but... I don't know where I'd even start here. Everything feels interconnected and there are overwatch windows all over the place.
- The sites feel far apart, which is both good and bad. I like that defense will be split and give assault an advantage in that way, but I wonder how much time is needed to have any chance for a re-take, especially with how many places there are to hide and effectively cover the sites from.

Right now my preferences are towards Industry or Overload, but I feel like the Devs have work ahead of them no matter what they choose.

Good luck to everyone and congratulations on making it this far. While I like to criticize, I think all three of these are very well-executed and deserve to be in the final three.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements