Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: Net-whatever
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 am 

sithhunter wrote:
BCPull wrote:
dgodfather wrote:
Probably the absolute biggest problem I have with what I'm seeing is that people react more quickly than realistically possible when someone pops up or from around cover.

I agree. It's a major frustration to be holding an angle appropriately, see an enemy pop out, and near-instantly die before I can just click.

This case needs better methodology than 'It seems to me' tbh. All the netcode stuff is frustrating but remember, when you are stationary holding a spot you don't know the exact time when enemy will be coming in. But the enemy - due to map size, gameplay type etc. - will most likely suspect you to be there and when we connect it with the fact that he obviously will know the exact time when he will move around corner- he is bound to have faster reaction than yours, even when you are playing on lan.
So we need something to measure it- does the netcode really give noticeable advantage (to high pingers etc.)?

I would think it's (at least usually) just a result of network latency. When they turn around the corner, their client responds immediately and they see me. Their movement command has to travel from their machine to the server to my machine before I see them.

Grubber -- how are the edge cases that previously led to double kills handled? I'm imagining a situation where both players fire a lethal shot. The low ping player's shot reaches the server first, but the high ping player's lethal shot corresponds to an earlier server tick. Who gets the kill?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:10 am 

My problem with current netcode. I'm picking on high pingers, but I do see this with a handful of very low pings as well.

*Warping players - Players(especially higher ping) warp. They are always faster than me out the gate even if everyone is standing side by side and all holding down the run button at start. Not only during start, they warp around through out the game play depending on who it is, its usually pretty consistent with the player. This may seem silly to you, but getting to a choke point faster than possible for normal players is not good... Which is exactly what happens. A one second lead is all it takes and you have control of the map if your good.

*Getting shot behind cover - Its not rare, happens almost every round I play against a server where high ping players make up a good portion of the other team. I could be leaning out, running for cover, ducking, etc.. etc.. This happens anywhere from a split second in, to a full second behind cover. It makes leaning and cover useless. I occasionally get this with super low ping players.

*Reaction time - Maybe this is netcode related, maybe its eps progs which do plague the unreal engine, I don't know. Usually a high ping player seems to have much faster reaction time than me. Even in chance in counters. I don't sit still when I play I run around like a wild animal, so when I encounter someone its usually fast twitch reaction where your not expecting it. These guys almost always seem to have faster reaction than me, like I see them bam headshot. I can't even get my gun up.

*Matrix - Higher ping players matrix around a lot. Meaning, they'll be headed one direction then some animation skip or weird contorted looking body motion and their going the other way. I can't even track them, they seem to skip around and become erratic. I don't get this at all with low ping players.

*Bullet proof - Does not happen all the time, but at least a few times a day I'll put over 7 rounds into a high ping player that is fairly stationary and he won't go down.

*High ping players don't seem to be affected by suppression. I've on some maps with long sight lines, I've shot a saw their way where I knew they would come out, second before, and they pop out and head shot me like I never fired at them. How can you consistently pull a 2-3 burst head shot at 200 yards if your being suppressed, unless they're so laggy they never saw me fire?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:24 am 
Developer
Developer

BCPull wrote:
Grubber -- how are the edge cases that previously led to double kills handled? I'm imagining a situation where both players fire a lethal shot. The low ping player's shot reaches the server first, but the high ping player's lethal shot corresponds to an earlier server tick. Who gets the kill?

To prevent double-kills, once a player dies on the server their shots are no longer processed.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:28 am 
Developer
Developer

Ok, I think we have discussed this topic enough and I have gotten a lot of good testimonials from all of you. I move that we lock this thread to preserve the solid discussion. I want to thank everyone for their time spent reading and providing feedback!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 am 
AACM
AACM

I would agree with Grubber and I think we could go round in circles on this subject.

However given the valuable nature of what has been discussed I will Sticky this for the moment so that we dont loose it.

Thanks for everybody's input.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion