Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Net-whatever
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:18 am 
Developer
Developer

For all in this conversation what is the biggest issue you see with what you would classify as a net-code issue? Is it hit-detection? Player warping? The occasional run behind cover death?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:11 am 

The main problem I still have with it is that higher ping players are compensated, while they see different things happening on their screen, as if in a 24-slot servers there are 24 realities, instead of 1 reality, if you understand what I mean.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:06 am 

bart3097 wrote:
The main problem I still have with it is that higher ping players are compensated, while they see different things happening on their screen, as if in a 24-slot servers there are 24 realities, instead of 1 reality, if you understand what I mean.

Completely agree. Nothing more to say.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:31 am 

All of the above, as bart stated, people playing on a server nearest to their location should have the best results. Nothing should be coded to manipulate the player experience so that everyone has the same results.

Probably the absolute biggest problem I have with what I'm seeing is that people react more quickly than realistically possible when someone pops up or from around cover. What they see is a mathematical interpretation of what is really happening and that changes the game totally.

In almost no other game does someone get a drop nearly as often as they do in AAPG. Sure there are pre-fires and a good few who have a pretty good twitch reaction, but the AAPG net-whatever makes everyone appear to be a better player than they are. Is it scopes and weapon mechanics? I think people are overlooking the coded elements. I don't enjoy bringing it up, but AA3 worked quite well with scopes. For the few that played it, I'm sure they can agree. Something else it the root issue. I'm guessing at this point it's many of the things Grubber talks about in this thread with interpolation, prediction and compensation.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:35 am 

dgodfather wrote:
Probably the absolute biggest problem I have with what I'm seeing is that people react more quickly than realistically possible when someone pops up or from around cover.

I agree. It's a major frustration to be holding an angle appropriately, see an enemy pop out, and near-instantly die before I can just click.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:39 am 

The problem is, I'm noticing this stuff even on a LAN. I'd like to separate the network issues from the code issues.

I've visibly seen a buddy warp on my LAN and yelled over, "Did you just warp?!"..........."Yup."

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 am 

Don knows something - > viewtopic.php?p=133125#p133125

I can't say if he's right or wrong, but I don't gather he's a dumb guy.

You bunch of fools!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:23 am 

BCPull wrote:
dgodfather wrote:
Probably the absolute biggest problem I have with what I'm seeing is that people react more quickly than realistically possible when someone pops up or from around cover.

I agree. It's a major frustration to be holding an angle appropriately, see an enemy pop out, and near-instantly die before I can just click.

This case needs better methodology than 'It seems to me' tbh. All the netcode stuff is frustrating but remember, when you are stationary holding a spot you don't know the exact time when enemy will be coming in. But the enemy - due to map size, gameplay type etc. - will most likely suspect you to be there and when we connect it with the fact that he obviously will know the exact time when he will move around corner- he is bound to have faster reaction than yours, even when you are playing on lan.
So we need something to measure it- does the netcode really give noticeable advantage (to high pingers etc.)?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 am 

I'm sorry but the only way how you can notice, that there is a problem with NetCode is when you shooting to someone then you stop shooting and after for about half second he falls to the ground.

The stories about he came around the corner and killed me are ridiculous.

I did a few tests on my router and i forced my ping to around 90-110-130. Seems to be pretty good combination with fast movement around map (rushes etc.)

Visit us: http://Back2AA.com
Game developer: UE3/UE4/CryEngine3

Post Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:47 am 

While high pingers to take a portion of the pie, it isn't solely those in which these occurrences facilitate. It can be people of all different ranges, that's why I would say that it's something other than just typical internet connectivity problems.

It's not a 100% of the time occurrence adams, but it's enough to prevent consistency in learning. It isn't ridiculous. I think most of us accept that it does happen, it just appears to be much more often in AAPG than other games. It's attributed to something. We're trying to figure that out.

You bunch of fools!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion