Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Veteran Icon
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am 

Wow at the person who got very upset over an in game icon. Honestly doesn't seem like you have the maturity of a person who has served. I really wouldn't expect someone who has served, or at least served overseas and saw combat to make such a huge deal and throw a tantrim over an icon. It's really not that big of a deal. Yea I had one too on an old account which I no longer know. I'm not gonna yell and scream about it though. Way to represent us vets on a public board. For everyone reading this I would just like to apologize on behalf of all veterans out there. I have never seen one behave so much like a child over something so small.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am 
AACM
AACM

For what its worth I have manually processed in game Vet Icons since the launch of AA3 as the automated system we had in AA2 of using a .mil account proved to be capable of being circumvented.

The move over to Steam resulted in the unfortunate loss of our ability to manually apply icons to accounts which is where the issue lies at the moment. I would very much like to see this capability returned as we all feel that our Veterans should be honored in any way possible.

However all that aside, we insist on .mil accounts to be present for all Vet Icons including forum Icons to ensure that only those due that recognition get it.

This may upset the few deserving people who do not have AKO accounts and for that I am sorry, but we have been stung too many times with situations of exploitation of the system to bend the rules.

As a reminder to any Veteran that does not have a Forum Avatar that wants one, please send an email from your AKO Account (sending an email from another account stating an AKO account address is not sufficient) to aacm@americasarmy.com and I will begin the vetting procedures.

Pat

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, we need more people in the vet fourm. It is pretty dead in there with just me talking to myself........

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:45 pm 

So how do you get the vet icon here and in-game if you got out before the Army had email addresses? I'm a veteran but I don't have a .mil email address.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:57 pm 

you cant, rules state you NEED a .mil email

Quote:
please send an email from your AKO Account (sending an email from another account stating an AKO account address is not sufficient)

read GBGangsta post again

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 pm 

That's too bad. That leaves out alot of us. I was in the Army '88 to '98. Anyone have email in '98? I didn't.

By the way, you don't have to be in the military to get a .mil address. You can be a DA civilian employee, for example, and get a .mil address.

I hope the criteria will be reconsidered.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 pm 

if you dont have to be in the US Army to have a .mil email, then i too would question the method and if you have been in the Army i feel sorry for you.

is there anything else you can provide them with to prove your service? seems a real shame to see a veteran even having to prove it.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:20 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

That is why the process is manual for vetting. They will take the submitted email address, and check to see the category of the person. It is easy to check to see if they are a Soldier, retired, Civillian, contractor, dependant, or another category.

The fourm icons were always much more difficult to get than the in game icons ever where since ingame was automated.

Back when I was doing the fourm icon vetting, probably 2 out of every 3 submissions turned out to be an actual Soldier. The rest were dependants, civillan employees, fake addresses, or the "other" catagory.

It is way to easy to create a fake DD 214 as we found out which is why that method of vetting was discarded.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:27 pm 

There's really no solid way to verify veteran status that I can think of. I don't know what I could show or tell you that would prove anything. My class A uniform? How would you know it was mine? My DD214? same problem. A recounting of old war stories? How do you really know it's true.

I think it's sad that people want to claim to be a veteran when they aren't, especially since it means that people feel the need to ask for proof of veteran status, resulting in a system (.mil check) that leaves out pre-internet veterans. By the way, it's not just here. I've run into the .mil verification other places and it's frustrating. People act like the internet has been around forever.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 pm 

In 1970 there was no emails...
So I will still complain.... but they keep removing my bad f u b a r messages :) oh well...
Life goes on till I die, then I will come back and haunt this place :)

A Veteran-whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve-is someone who,at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America",for an amount of"up to and including my life."
Unknown

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion