Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Comp Mode (aka Classic Mode)
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 am 

Keebler_750 wrote:
I typed out a thoughtful treatise on various game modes and the community, but then I realized the last time I did that I got my butt handed to me by The Man. Carry on...

I'm sorry you were so disappointed by your treatment elsewhere that you decided to offhandedly talk about it here.

On topic, the only thing I wonder is if you force 5v5, how often will partial servers be 3v4, etc. Seems like 6v6 fits a little better in a pub mode where even if there server is a little short it plays like a comp match, even if it happens to be full and is 2 men up it's not far from ESL standards. Just a musing. In a perfect world where all bdx comp servers are full 5v5 is perfect.

On the naming convention, I always thought "League Mode" would be good. No negative stigma like comp, implies organized play, etc.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:21 am 

I would try the 5v5 auto match making on at least 1 server. obviously for the most part it would be a whole lot of pug games and might be hard to fill one team of a clan unless everyone participates otherwise I see a lot of vote kicking happening.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:29 am 

sorry to chirp in on a comp thread but..

im sure i have read somewhere they would not be deviating from the 6v6 - 12v12 formats.. like its something they deem out of the question..

so, couldnt this comp mode work with 6v6? or even 12v12?

it just seems to me that for public (with comp settings) purposes it would be a waste of a server to only allow 10 players in total to play and i cant see them dedicating many servers to the mode itself, so it could possibly leave lots of people wanting to play the comp mode waiting for spaces.

i gotta say, im really up for the challenge of having no revives, shorter round times and no spotting aids, it should make for an interesting change from the norm, i just hope it dont end up like the previous attempt where nobody played the hardcore servers, as that would be also be a waste :(

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:46 am 

uni-sol wrote:
so, couldnt this comp mode work with 6v6? or even 12v12?

6v6 isn't dramatically different, though it depends on the map.

12v12 on a map like Inner or Harbor plays very differently than 4v4 or 5v5.

Dark or West in 12v12 Inner are particularly bad for being a continual stream of grenades and flashes. When you limit the number of players, baiting out a grenade actually means something about whether you can push. With 12 on a side, it's random again. "Okay, I've seen 4 grenades from the enemy team in West. Surely I can move up a few feet now... nope, there's a fifth grenade, I'm dead."

With only 5 players, positioning and communication is vitally important. Multiple routes are either singly defended or left open. If you don't communicate before rounds begin, you could be left with a huge hole in your setup and be flanked before your team realizes what's happened. With 12 players, it's unlikely to happen just because there are SO MANY people relative to the number of paths. Planning loses value.

Unrelated thought -- I would like seeing Team VOIP remain available after death in this mode if at all possible. Organized groups already play with TS3 or similar and regularly theorycraft enemy moves after death (or even just finish saying "[location], two pushing, I'm down").

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 am 

I agree 5v5 is probably not going to happen.... wishful thinking of having a quick match making system instead of waiting around .. oh well

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:34 am 

=IK=Doba= wrote:
I agree 5v5 is probably not going to happen....

given that the number of players is baked into the map type, and not a setting, you're probably right

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:46 am 

Bear 82 wrote:
=IK=Doba= wrote:

given that the number of players is baked into the map type, and not a setting, you're probably right

bdx_redline_ex & flo_redline_ex exist side-by-side. There's not really a reason there couldn't be bdx_innerhospital_ex or bdx_harborassault_th.

Technical reasons don't step the Dev team from endorsing a limited-team-size version of maps.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:47 am 

Personally I still think the flo and bdx should be removed from all maps and player count should also be removed. Change it to 32 slot cap and leave it to the server admins to decide what's best for their server. This way you can set the odd numbers too. Then you can have 5v5 official servers. Or 3v3. You're no limited to 2 options.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:00 am 

Bear 82 wrote:
=IK=Doba= wrote:

i wonder if its possible to achieve by limiting the amount of available player spawn points, forcing a 5v5? even in a 6v6 BDX map :mrgreen:

-=}WoLvErInE{=- wrote:
Personally I still think the flo and bdx should be removed from all maps and player count should also be removed. Change it to 32 slot cap and leave it to the server admins to decide what's best for their server. This way you can set the odd numbers too. Then you can have 5v5 official servers. Or 3v3. You're no limited to 2 options.

or do that.. +1 :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:27 am 

just friendly reminder that this topic is about comp mode and its standard settings, nothing else..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion