Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:28 pm 

Soundy has talked a fair amount about sound in PG at various times. I recommend you go back and read it animatics. It's becoming more and more clear that you are only thinking in terms of AA2 which is completely useless here.

Important topics:
xaudio2 and it's shortcomings, distance rolloff in PG, what happened when it was used, why they decided to switch to wwise, etc.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:07 pm 

A. in game voice spam
B. clan ts3
C. real life (tv, cars going by, noisy [TOS Violation] neighbor etc....)
D. poor sound engine (until wwise)

A+B+C+D = i dont care about ambient noise

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:35 pm 

animatics wrote:
bart3097 wrote:

What's next? a good videocard is unfair advantage because he does not have the lag that you got?

animatics wrote:
Actually the comparison with graphics is a bit ridiculous, as investing in a sound card improves your game more than on an uber GPU for pretty graphics, which are all turned down for competition purposes, which to me, some level of texture tweaking it's also shady, because it removes noise from the game and accentuates player movement. So please enough with the "what about better graphic card" argument.

One thing is true though I don't know the effect of soundcards today as well as I did in AA2 days, when my clan had people with fatality and extreme gamer soundcards being bought and the game level changing and people reporting they listen all over the map and people crawling (!). How could someone claim "skill" back then, beats me. And yes people were buying them for that same purpose, not for music, film, whatever. But given that the sound is all over the place in this version, seems to me the same is taking place. And I hope it's prevented. Lets see what the new sound engine brings.

Exactly your last point.

As said in my post, in AA2 it was different, here sound of footsteps just disappears after a set distance, you can't get the advantage as in AA2 here.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:51 pm 

hbk314 wrote:
My biggest issues currently are the lack of a Z-axis, the fact that metal doesn't sound like metal and there being a distance where footsteps just disappear rather than fade out.
Perfectly said.
IMO the sound in AA2 was far superior to this even with the soundcard tweaks and rolloff and whatever else, it may not have been " super realistic" but neither is hearing announcements over a PA system at a shut down stationary train in the middle of an armed fight, or having almost no clue as to whether someone is above you or on the same floor as you, the amount of times im peaking and camping a corner to prefire nothing because the player is on the floor above me is outstanding, and i run this game with sennheiser HD598's
i didn't spend that kind of money for sound to frequently not here footsteps that are 5 meters away, then here someone that sounds like they're 5 meters away but they're on a different floor..
from my observations footsteps are too quiet, and ambient noise is too loud

The game play that resulted in AA2 because of the sound, resulted in a unique play style with lots of fake outs, weapon switch tricks, reload tricks, prefire, rifle poking to expose prefire,
it actually created immersion and challenge, and excitement, the variables to outcomes were much more unpredictable, which lead to being able to play 1 or 2 maps exclusively match after match, and still being interested and having fun, something this game has only achieved with inner hospital - I rather enjoyed that play-style it was more exciting and it added to the learning curve and increased the skill gap

Hopefully Wwise corrects and improves upon footsteps, ambient noise, and lack of Z-axis

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:31 pm 

Quote:
Hopefully Wwise corrects and improves upon footsteps, ambient noise, and lack of Z-axis

The word going around is that they have nerfed footsteps ALOT. HUGE mistake if thats true. We all remember the tragedy that almost killed the game. Can't remember if it was RFI-2 or RFI-3 that you couldn't hear people like beyond 10 feet in any direction.

If it goes back to that then they are asking for this games death.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:50 pm 

EKCommander wrote:
Quote:

The word going around is that they have nerfed footsteps ALOT. HUGE mistake if thats true. We all remember the tragedy that almost killed the game. Can't remember if it was RFI-2 or RFI-3 that you couldn't hear people like beyond 10 feet in any direction.

That would be a horrible mistake.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:55 pm 

hbk314 wrote:
EKCommander wrote:
Quote:

That would be a horrible mistake.

Agreed.

(Hey devs, here's 3 people that say this is emphatically bad, please listen)

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm 

EKCommander wrote:

I wouldn't even touch the game if the footsteps are further nerfed or restricted, that RFI was terrible, i guarantee that would be a sure fire mistake, I know most clans would probably drop this game all together, or lose a lot of membership.

The longer i involve myself in this community, and the more time that passes, the more I feel that there is a transparent system in effect to isolate and disintegrate the competitive and skilled player community both ideas, opinions, and competitive player base. The same issues that are habitually addressed, discussed and frowned upon are rarely rectified, and people that re-state them often have their posts edited, deleted and get a PM warning, or even furthermore, banned from forums(whisper55) yes there are competitive features that are being developed upon and put in place, but with out a game that doesn't play well competitively, developing a competitive system is a joke.. How does this system plan on being tested when there isn't even a group of competitive betas to test or give feedback on the said system?!?!
it's leaving a competitive system to be evaluated by pubbers.. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in order for an FPS to be successful and thrive at the pub level, it has to be able to be equally successful at a comp level, and needs a larger skill gap, what you guys are trying to do is like trying to introduce ballet as an extreme sport without researching or consulting with extreme sports

EDIT: FYI to all those who oppose hearing footsteps better, and think it's unrealistic and too strong as it is, then how come I can hear footsteps of kids that way 65lbs running after getting off the school bus?, overtop of the "ambient" humming of the buses loud diesel engine and their chatter i can still hear their footsteps from inside my house with ALL of my thermal pane windows closed??.. You trying to tell me a fully equipped and armed soldier thats sprinting 15 meters away, isn't going to have as loud of footsteps as a 65lb kid near a diesel engine bus, 20-25 meters away through a solid brick wall and closed thermal pane windows? our sound in real life travels further and is louder than you do give credit

Last edited by $tatus on Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:12 pm 

$tatus wrote:
... How does this system plan on being tested when there isn't even a group of competitive betas to test or give feedback on the said system?!?!
it's leaving a competitive system to be evaluated by pubbers..

Or shifting maps to C4 and using a group of players with little experience with the game mode as their test base. This isn't a formula for success and meaningful feedback.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:19 pm 

BCPull wrote:
$tatus wrote:
... How does this system plan on being tested when there isn't even a group of competitive betas to test or give feedback on the said system?!?!
it's leaving a competitive system to be evaluated by pubbers..

Or shifting maps to C4 and using a group of players with little experience with the game mode as their test base. This isn't a formula for success and meaningful feedback.

which further backs my logic of this..

$tatus wrote:
The longer i involve myself in this community, and the more time that passes, the more I feel that there is a transparent system in effect to isolate and disintegrate the competitive and skilled player community both ideas, opinions, and competitive player base.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion