Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:23 pm 

There are diverse onboard solutions with varying positive and negative results. NO SOUND CARD, however, discrete or onboard, PRODUCES AUDIO CUES THAT WEREN'T DESIGNED INTO THE GAME BY THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM. A mouse macro that significantly reduces recoil, however, is blatantly counter to game design. It's not hard dude. At all. Not. Hard.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:23 pm 

In Cold Front you can hear footsteps through a whole building from Market Street to Ivy Trees.

do positive actions
and the positive grows.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:34 pm 

rokis wrote:
Idk how well the new engine source will remedy that, but Am I the only one who thinks environment sounds are simply too loud now?

If it was my choice I'd have them low to med. AA2 you could hear foots steps coming from very far, it worked great. It is also one of the reason why AA players are still AA players. CSGO has taken that route. Even with their poop sound engine. Although their map levels are far less complex than AAPG

Anyone else agree or am I completely alone on this?

The first thing I thought when the ambient sound was introduced was it felt way way louder than AA2 ambient. It also seems to purposely be there to drain out the sound of footsteps like they are on the same audio track or something. (Not sure how to explain properly). But in AA2 it was not like this and it was perfect. I am waiting to hear the new sound engine before I make a full assessment of this topic. Yes I find them very loud at the current patch but all that could be different with the new sound api so I will wait till that is released to fully comment on this issue.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:58 pm 

.sauce wrote:
There are diverse onboard solutions with varying positive and negative results. NO SOUND CARD, however, discrete or onboard, PRODUCES AUDIO CUES THAT WEREN'T DESIGNED INTO THE GAME BY THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM. A mouse macro that significantly reduces recoil, however, is blatantly counter to game design. It's not hard dude. At all. Not. Hard.

You forgot your caps on and to address the balance issue, nice.
Apparently it's hard for you to understand that there are games where both don't take place. You simply can't use a macros or have more sound awarness than other players because you have hardware X.
AA2 had a lot of sound imbalance. That and "tweaks", spoiled the game in the end to me as it affected the playstyle a lot. I didn't play 3 long enough to assess that, but in this version the sound is all over the place so I would assume it's the same thing. Some guy, listening everything around and stacking chances favorable to him either if his running or leaning in a fox-hole.
Plus you can equalize the sound to hell to bring up things you want, pretty simple.

Make a match with a team with mouse macros and a team with pro soundcards with custom settings and see who wins. Shooting is just the final act of a kill, it's not the whole play.

Bye

Last edited by animatics on Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:27 am 

animatics wrote:
.sauce wrote:

Apparently it's hard for you to understand that there are games where both don't take place. You simply can't use a macros or have more sound awarness than other players because you have hardware X.
AA2 had a lot of sound imbalance. That and tweaks, spoiled the game in the end to me as it affected the playstyle a lot. I didn't play 3 long enough to assess that, but in this version the sound is all over the place so I would assume it's the same thing. Some guy, listening everything around and stacking chances favorable to him either if his running or leaning in a fox-hole.
Plus you can equalize the sound to hell to bring up things you want, pretty simple.

Make a match with a team with mouse macros and a team with pro soundcards with custom settings and see who wins. Shooting is just the final act of a kill, it's not the whole play.

Bye

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:54 am 

PG has never had directsound implementation (what turned sound card owners into cheaters according to you) or a proper binaural api, xaudio mixes the sound before it gets to the sound card. AA2 was a bit extreme on dynamics, I'll give you that, but there is no indication it will be like that with wwise, so you are beating a non existent dead horse very hard with an imaginary stick that is made of fairy dust.

Also, a decent sound card costs the same as a decent mouse...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:37 am 

This isn't AA2...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:46 am 

animatics wrote:
.sauce wrote:

AA2 had a lot of sound imbalance. That and "tweaks", spoiled the game in the end to me as it affected the playstyle a lot. I didn't play 3 long enough to assess that, but in this version the sound is all over the place so I would assume it's the same thing. Some guy, listening everything around and stacking chances favorable to him either if his running or leaning in a fox-hole.

Bye

I can't really beleive you seriously mean what you say here.

The devs can make the sound of for example footsteps fade away after a certain distance, it's what happening now. Having a soundcard just gives a better quality of sound, nothing else.

In AA2, the way sound was designed was different, and it was possible to tweak it in such a way that you could hear all over the map, here this is not possible.

Mouse macro's actually do the work for you, you don't have to think, don't have to control any recoil, don't have to act on the information you got (like with sound, you have to act on the knowledge you get, but a mouse macro does the acting for you).

Mouse macro's are designed to help unskilled players cope with people who can actually do some things themselves. Having better sound gives better information, which you still have to use in a wise way, also, the way you hear with a soundcard is just how you should hear it, the game already GAVE you the possibility to hear this, you don't have to change anything for it and the devs deliberately made it that way.

The game did not give you the possibility to use a macro.

Now if you have a problem with SVM and eq settings, that's another point, but that has nothing to do with having a good soundcard/soundsystem.

What's next? a good videocard is unfair advantage because he does not have the lag that you got?

Do you see the difference, or are you just too stubborn to admit people actually have a point here?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 pm 

iColts wrote:
It also seems to purposely be there to drain out the sound of footsteps like they are on the same audio track or something. (Not sure how to explain properly)

No, they are different sound files/cues and you can turn them off all ambient sounds in offline mode to prove it.
You can also adjust the volume of any specific sound louder or quieter offline for lols. Fun to play around with.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:55 am 

bart3097 wrote:

What's next? a good videocard is unfair advantage because he does not have the lag that you got?

animatics wrote:
Actually the comparison with graphics is a bit ridiculous, as investing in a sound card improves your game more than on an uber GPU for pretty graphics, which are all turned down for competition purposes, which to me, some level of texture tweaking it's also shady, because it removes noise from the game and accentuates player movement. So please enough with the "what about better graphic card" argument.

One thing is true though I don't know the effect of soundcards today as well as I did in AA2 days, when my clan had people with fatality and extreme gamer soundcards being bought and the game level changing and people reporting they listen all over the map and people crawling (!). How could someone claim "skill" back then, beats me. And yes people were buying them for that same purpose, not for music, film, whatever. But given that the sound is all over the place in this version, seems to me the same is taking place. And I hope it's prevented. Lets see what the new sound engine brings.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion