Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: R&R Official: Computer Help Thread
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:18 am 

'Computer Help Thread'

was that really necessary?

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:55 am 

Whats the next significant upgrade after the GT220?
That gives a good boost in performance.
Not looking for top of the line stuff.
Looking for cheap...maybe 90$

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:59 am 

For around $90, I'd say the GT 440 GDDR5 version(not GDDR3). If you could stretch the budget another $20-30, the GTS 450 would be a whopping improvement over the 220.

ASUS P5N-D • Q6700 @ 3.3GHz • WD 500GB • Intel 40GB SSD • Vista Ultimate x64 • 4GB G.Skill PQ
MSI GTX460 Hawk • Samsung 245BW • X-Fi XtremeMusic • ATH-A700 • Logitech G5 • G11 • G13

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:54 am 

nvidia's x50 and x60 series have gotten a lot better in the past few years. definately more of the mainstream (average gamer) instead of this bottom line garbage (think of the x20's and x40's).

it sounds bad, but best buy has been carrying some good video cards as of late, for pretty reasonable prices to boot.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:09 pm 

Starting with the 9600GT, which was very close to a 8800/9800GT except in the highest resolutions(1600 x 900 and up), the x6 series have indeed become more than entry-level gaming cards. So far my GTX460 is the best card I've ever owned. Performs as well as, if not better than, my old 8800GT SLi, uses less power(by about 70w) and runs 20C cooler and quieter. It also overclocks like crazy.

ASUS P5N-D • Q6700 @ 3.3GHz • WD 500GB • Intel 40GB SSD • Vista Ultimate x64 • 4GB G.Skill PQ
MSI GTX460 Hawk • Samsung 245BW • X-Fi XtremeMusic • ATH-A700 • Logitech G5 • G11 • G13

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 am 

i've really enjoyed my 260m. infact the next laptop i buy, will likely have a 460m or a 560m.

the 260m is basically a 75W version of a 9800GT. with more ram and a smaller manufacturing process. it still runs most games on high settings. like GTA, Mafia 2, games like Bad Company 2 really seem to tax it, but i think that's more of a bottleneck issue with the CPU.

if you come across any Core2Duo Mobile chips that are faster than 2Ghz, let me know.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:41 pm 

Topic is now a sticky.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:59 pm 

thanks iron.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:47 pm 

Here's some links to useful programs and whatnot:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Virus, Malware and Spyware protection from Microsoft. A full system scan takes a while, but once that's done and all is clean it does a great job keeping it that way.

Comodo Firewall

Good software firewall, even if you're already using a router based hardware firewall.

CCleaner

Cleans out cookies, history and Windows junk files.

CoreTemp

Monitor your CPU temps. If you don't already, you should, especially if you overclock.

MSI Afterburner

Rivatuner based GPU overclocking utility. Works with all brands of ATI/AMD and NVIDIA cards. Can display tons of info from temperatures, core, memory and shader clocks, etc.. Even does screenshot and video capture.

DataVac ED500

There's more than one way to keep your PC clean. This is the best. Even gets out dust that canned air misses.

Page File Optimization

There's a myth that if your PC has enough RAM you can turn virtual memory(page file) off. Not true. Windows and most, if not all, programs are coded to always allocate or request virtual memory. Turning it off takes control of it out of your hands.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:12 pm 

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
Here's some links to useful programs and whatnot:

Microsoft Security Essentials

Virus, Malware and Spyware protection from Microsoft. A full system scan takes a while, but once that's done and all is clean it does a great job keeping it that way.

Comodo Firewall

Good software firewall, even if you're already using a router based hardware firewall.

CCleaner

Cleans out cookies, history and Windows junk files.

CoreTemp

Monitor your CPU temps. If you don't already, you should, especially if you overclock.

MSI Afterburner

Rivatuner based GPU overclocking utility. Works with all brands of ATI/AMD and NVIDIA cards. Can display tons of info from temperatures, core, memory and shader clocks, etc.. Even does screenshot and video capture.

DataVac ED500

There's more than one way to keep your PC clean. This is the best. Even gets out dust that canned air misses.

Page File Optimization

There's a myth that if your PC has enough RAM you can turn virtual memory(page file) off. Not true. Windows and most, if not all, programs are coded to always allocate or request virtual memory. Turning it off takes control of it out of your hands.

Good stuff-

Heres my VM setup-

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R