Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: R&R Official: Computer Help Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:53 pm 

W!cked wrote:
I have the awesome pleasure of having TWC as an ISP. Before i moved i had no problem with my modem/routers wifi strength,when the technician came out to run cables etc in the new home he switched it for a Ubee. Ever since my wifi signal is so poor for friends devices that come to visit, have switched it 3x now only to have the same result. I don't know a lot about routers so could someone please give me a suggestion as to what a good one is. Budget is roughly 250 Us dollars

This happens more often than you think honestly.
One I would recommend is this one:

ASUS RT-AC68U Wireless-AC1900

Retail on Newegg right now for about $199.

Why? Eventually cable companies will be the first to expand into the AC error of routing. AC is a new connection type that allows for a faster connection. Much like the B, G, N series, now we're getting into a new series known as AC. This router (much like every other in the AC) are backwards compatible but it is also ready for the newer connection for whenever your cable company and you decide to upgrade. If TWC ever does....

So in my expert opinion, this would be the only router you should need.
Should have no problem with multiple devices and Bandwidth strain as well.

Cheers!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 am 

GBGangsta wrote:
Buckaroo Banzai wrote:
Don Quixote wrote:
Hi guys, I'm thinking to upgrade my computer and maybe you could help me with that giving some advices.

Here is my actual specs.

Any help would de appreciated.

Get a SSD, 64GB or larger. Run Windows and games from it. Use a mechanical hard drive for music, pics etc.

I havent taken the plunge on SSD yet. How are they heat wise, I had read that they can get pretty toasty if not well vented.

The best thing that could have happened to storage drives in the past 5 years are SSD-s ,for the past 2 years they reached their maximum in terms of speed ,had 2 so far going to buy a third one in the near future,heat is not an issue at all ,they make no noise are lightning fast. From pushing the power key on your pc to a fully booted windows around 20 sec.Loading times of software is amazing and prizes dropped really over the past years.My personal advice go for Samsung 850 Pro or Evo series whatever capacity you need some stores sell them with a 10 year warranty in Europe.

Image Image

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:43 pm 

i been saving for an upgrade for a while now and pretty soon im taking the plunge into the world of intel/Nvidia, i have primarily always used AMD/Ati mainly for value.. thats ever since i bought my first gaming PC, which was stupid alienware garbage, which i swore by at the time.. :lol:

so yeah, anyways.. im pretty much stumped on what processor to grab, so what do you guys think.. i will have £400 (£500 at most) and have seen some great looking mobo/CPU bundles.. but i really dont know if theres more value going for a higher end i7 or perhaps the i5, i dont know if the extra money for i7 is worth it?

im using most of my current rig to transfer over, so all im getting is a mobo, CPU and Ram.. my current mobo only has support for 8GB of DDR2 memory so am limited to upgrading it and only has AM2+ CPU socket.

heres a link to the place i order 'all things PC' stuff from, so any recommendations within budget would be great :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... subid=2982

i shall buy a new Nvidia GPU later in the year as the one i have now (Ati 6970) is still under warranty.

Last edited by uni-sol on Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:58 pm 
AACM
AACM

It wasnt too long ago that I upgraded from my old Socket 775 system. I plumped for:

Gigabyte Gaming 5 Motherboard
Intel I5-4570
Gigabyte Windforce GTX770 4Gb

These weren't hyper powerful parts and Im sure if one were to spend more money you would get more but along with 8Gb memory these did significantly enhance my gaming experience.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:00 pm 

if theres one thing i know, 'more money' dont necessarily mean better, for example the GPU i bought was £50 more expensive than another of the same specs, simply because of the cooler :lol:

thanks for the links

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:05 pm 
AACM
AACM

Ohhhh Im a sucker for a cool cooler :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:19 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
if theres one thing i know, 'more money' dont necessarily mean better, for example the GPU i bought was £50 more expensive than another of the same specs, simply because of the cooler :lol:

thanks for the links

more money = better ;)
But with that said, it wont scale proportionally so in most cases you end up with weighing back and forth, worth it? not worth it?

Under such a "tight"(ish) budget i would see if i could reuse ram, case, psu, drives etc, and just go for mobo and cpu initially.
Current gen i5(k) should keep you going for a while, granted a i7 would be better but might not be worth it.
(i got a i7, just because, im not doing the mistake of going cheap again and being forced to a premature upgrade)

As i like ASUS i could live with this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=2982

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:20 pm 
AACM
AACM

Wow thats a good set up for the price.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:25 pm 

GBGangsta wrote:
Wow thats a good set up for the price.

That was my thought also, it even makes it posible to fit a Noctua NH-D14 without breaking the £400 barriere.
(i got one my self, running at ultra silent its still good enough for 4.3Ghz on a 2600k)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:40 pm 

frankof wrote:
(i got a i7, just because, im not doing the mistake of going cheap again and being forced to a premature upgrade)

As i like ASUS i could live with this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showprodu ... ubcat=2982

thats kinda what i was thinking, yeah i7 is more money and perhaps not worth it right now, i mean i assume it wouldnt make much difference in terms of game performance whichever i went for..

but then what about in 6-12 months time? its probably a safer bet within budget to actually go for the i7. (going by the rate of updated tech and games getting more and more demanding)

thanks for the link frank :mrgreen: that looks good to me and would leave me plenty for Ram, and yeah, im using a lot of my current rig for donor parts, to carry over.. i can use most of my current PC such as PSU (which was new from about 6 weeks ago) HDDs & SSD DVD all that stuff, and im not new to building.. i just need to remember to get some thermal paste, i forgot last time.. to top it off it was a Saturday afternoon and so had to wait 2 extra days to make the PC, man.. them 2 days seemed like forever :lol:

i wonder if i would 'need' to re-install windows? or would my hardrive with the current O/S just work when put with the new mobo? thats something ive never tried before or even considered.. it would save me a lot of time reacquiring much stuff :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R