Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [BETA] FLO All Terrain (Extract)
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:26 pm 

There are some nice screenshots at the Workshop page... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =390503463

Apparently the ICU umm server will be running this map.

Introducing: FLO All Terrain (Extract)

Both teams fight to gain control of the flag at daybreak on a mountainous 600 meter outdoor map with NO man made objects. It's .....all ....terrain. This will be a 10 minute map until other aspects are dialed in. (Then it'll be a 15 minute map.... :P )

Present loadout is 3 sniper slots per team plus the whole team can pick DMR or ...of course the M4 red dot CQB....or 4 SAW slots. Heh heh....I can't wait to see someone running around with a SAW.....

Map is still in development and will need enough playtesting to understand where to move things for best balance. Then I'll detail it and optimize.

There are screenies at the link, since I don't have a photo host. I've put my experience as a nature photographer to work to create this outdoor environment.

By the way, if you can't hit anything with the M24, it's not broke....aim high!!!!

I'd like to apologize to everyone who already subscribed to the Alpha. I had some workshop issues and deleted to reset. This is a good upgrade from that version, so...let me know what still needs work...

I expect to see a lot of people "PRONING" out there! 8-)

Last edited by Keebler_750 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: [BETA] FLO All Terrain (Extract)
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm 

Oh...known issue with the Game Engine is smoke and fog grenades only work to about 380m so don't think you're hiding from that guy across the map if you pop smoke!! :shock:

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:40 am 

Can't wait to try it out! Sounds a little different for AA, but hey, everything can be improved on!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:20 am 

Congrats Keebz! Well done.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:40 pm 

Good job hope it turns out great.
I will seek for it on the mentioned server.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:49 pm 

This map got started before the Editor came out when I was puttering around trying to learn and test stuff. There's a really fun story behind the birth of this map, but a certain [DEV] would have to tell it. Anyway, some people will like this map and gameplay, and some won't.

I have a lot of interesting ideas for the map, but really need to sort out how to make the teams engage in a balanced battle first. The first version had a 45 second run to the flag and a 16 second run to extract. The teams could bypass an engagement due to terrain features and timings. It was just a test, but what an eye-opener! The [Balkan] clan really helped point me in the right direction.

We'll see.......

:)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:41 pm 

i imagine on a map like this being open and spacious.. balance and timings are a key factor, it sure looks very nice!

you have some cover spots and overwatches in there? even if its using the terrain itself, things like that can be important and add variety to how to approach the mission.

i shall download it later and check it out :)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 pm 

There's places to find cover and use low areas to minimize exposure. There are definitely routes, as well as ways a team can push through an area. There's a lot of rocky areas and overwatch for sniping or scouting where the flag is going. Meh...I'm still learning though.

Right now it's VERY subject to playtesting and working it out. I think this one will have more challenge, but if not perfect, I'll learn from it an make it even better.

I'm confident creating the outdoor environments, I just need to understand the tactics that might be employed and balance it out.

:)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 am 

In my biased opinion, this is already a pretty map to run around in. With your feedback, I think this can be made into something really challenging.

OBJECTIVE TYPE:
It's a capture the flag "Tug Of War!" There is no ATTACK or DEFEND. This map is all about decisions. I've combined elements of Extract and Take and Hold so that either team can decide to take the flag, or maybe ambush the enemy flag carrier and pull the flag back into safe territory for extract. The Round will end in a DRAW if no team extracts, so considering the size of this map, there's a lot of motivation to get the objective instead of hunt for the lone camper or AFK.

FIRETEAMS:
If we had Fireteams, this map would be perfect for them. One group of four to go for the flag, and two other fireteams to fan out in support positions to cover extract and take out the enemy snipers.

GAMEPLAY:
Teams spawn 90m from the flag. In the first 19 seconds that it takes to cross that rough terrain, before anyone can reach the flag, members of both teams will be fanning out to find dominant positions to support the team. There might be a grenade battle at the flag if both teams try to grab it. Enemy snipers don't have a direct view of the flag, but one false move and they'll literally have your head!

If the team chooses, they can save the manpower from a flag battle and position the team to ambush the enemy. Intel will be critical for team rotation, and running too far will either get you shot, or put you out of position to effectively help your teammates.

There may be an advantage to capturing the entire central flag mountain and using it as a stronghold.

Snipers will be "in the scope" quite a bit to be effective, and are subject to flanking or being sniped themselves due to low peripheral awareness. Again, having teammates help communicate threats is critical.

NAVIGATION:
The sun is coming up in the east. Keep it in mind, because in this environment it's easy to get disoriented. PAY ATTENTION! This is rough country. If you pay too much attention to covering angles, and not enough to what you can jump up on...or fall off of...you may come to a bone-crunching stop! Make use of landmarks and the information below your compass.

SNIPING:
Because of bullet drop, sniping will require some skill. This won't be a quick-scoping map. If you choose to take a shot but miss, YOU may be the one eating a bullet. There's nothing like seeing a flash in the hills just before your player yells, "I need a medic!" If one of your snipers decide to run around in the lowlands, he's probably just given the opposing team an advantage.

NEXT STEPS:
This map needs cover, sightlines and timing to strategic positions tuned properly prior to final art and release.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:32 pm 

This map was tested with a BDX-sized crew today on the [BALKAN] server. Definitely more battles going on than the last version. The map really needs a full server to get enough "fireteam" movement into the flanks to cover extract. Also there are still known issues with cover and sightlines but that's to be expected. The next version should have some more fine tuning and extra features like the Custom Briefing I was working on.

[POSSIBLE BUG] - One issue that I don't know how to deal with is the color of the icon at the top of the screen is not always right to tell you which team has the flag. This needs some research and testing. No idea if it's the engine, or my map.

[KNOWN BUG] - Revive/Secure on uneven terrain sometimes results in the pawn and player icon above being disconnected and the player can't be healed or secured. This is a game engine issue, but something to keep an eye on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions