Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Tutorials and Assets

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [Tutorial] - Custom Activated Objectives
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:34 pm 

For those who want custom objectives, I'll write up a bit of a tutorial. This is for activated objectives (such as in Three Kings or Harbor Assault).

The only way to get animated objectives is just to make skeletal meshes that animate. I personally don't know how to do this and it doesn't seem to be that easy for a novice to pick up, so I will ignore that.

This tutorial is mainly for the rest of us who want activated objectives that are static meshes, but don't look like that current box setup.

So here's how to do it.

Step 1: View -> Browser -> Actor Classes -> AAObjectiveVolume -> AAObjectiveActivate -> AAObjectiveActivateContent

Step 2: Right Click and Add the AAObjectiveActivateContent Here (you can also just drag and drop from the Browser)

This is like normal.

Step 3: Either double click on the AAObjectiveActivateContent or click it and press F4 (properties).

Step 4: In the Search bar at the top type in "Hidden". You will see a spot called Hidden under the Display category. Put a check mark here.
Step 5: In the Content Browser find the Static Mesh that you wish to use for your objective. In this case I chose a missile. Right click and add it to your map as a static mesh (you can also just drag and drop).

Step 6: Now align the the new objective to where you would like to put it. The key is to make sure it is inside (or mostly inside) of the original objective box.

Step 7: Below we noticed a few problems with collision. To fix this you'll have to resize the objective box to be about the same size as your objective. You'll also have to edit the collision properties. Here there's a section where you can adjust the collision height and width. Play around with these until it lines up properly in game. If you don't do this, then bullets will hit the invisible objective box. (I'll try to add some pictures later on how to do this).

Step 8: You're good to go. When you go into game the Activated objective won't show up and the area for taking the objective will be in the same location as the original item that was there. If you want to make that area bigger or smaller, you could always resize the AAObjectiveActivateContent.

If you want to change the sounds, you can do this is the AAObjectiveActivateContent properties. The first few options relate to the sound. If you want to use custom sounds, you can import a wav file and then create a SoundCue for it and then assign it to one of the three sound properties. You can obviously also use the any of the soundcues already in the game.

Last edited by Whiplash27 on Thu May 15, 2014 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Tutorial - Custom Activated Objectives
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 pm 

Slick man, thank you.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

good Job bro.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:24 pm 

Props to Wolverine for giving me the original idea to put the objective inside the static mesh. I found just hiding it works a bit easier.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:43 am 

This seems on Sandstorm to block shots short above the objektive, maybe the penetrating volume isnt altered or cant be altered but you should be able to shoot an enemy behind the objektive but you cant because the invisible Objektive blocks your shots.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm 

chakka_of_zulu wrote:
This seems on Sandstorm to block shots short above the objektive, maybe the penetrating volume isnt altered or cant be altered but you should be able to shoot an enemy behind the objektive but you cant because the invisible Objektive blocks your shots.

Yeah, I never thought about that. To fix this, just need to go to the Objective properties and then go to Collision and set it to No Collision.

Post Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:29 pm 

How would I do this for just one Objective? If I select the Objective - go to AAObjective Activate - Skeletal Mesh - and change the mesh to an editor-provided "radio mesh" ... the Objective simple disappears ... Your method works great for changing all 3 of the Objective Meshes ...

Post Posted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:32 am 

A couple things I found out.

No Collision doesn't work. This makes it so you can't take the objective unfortunately.

Your best bet is to resize the objective to fit in your object and then change the collision height/width.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Tutorials and Assets