Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: w.ip. desert
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:41 pm 

new style of map for me ,i usually build outdoor big maps ,

so since people seem to like indoor maps ive made outdoor/indoor map

attacking team spawns outside and has to gain entrance to a large undeground complex ,there are 2 entrances ,once under the mountain the fight begins , many rooms , working doors , windows ,hallways ,fight through 3 levels underground ,to reach the objectives ,
plenty of dark corners ,

w.i.p progress ,may need a few tweaks

thanks to wolverine for help with a problem on this one :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =402560805

playable on (Beer_Me) servers

Post subject: Re: w.ip. desert
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:16 pm 

glad to see you got it all working :mrgreen:

i shall sure give it a whirl if i see it on the server list :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 pm 

Since you requested more feedback in another thread:

1) Add pathing from attack spawn to the base entrances. Visual cues like dirt paths or roads will prevent players from getting lost or wasting time outside.

2) All of your doors open the wrong way (towards the push bar). I'm not sure if this is a map problem or a game problem, but it leads to unexpected behavior in-game.

3) Y objective and that entire attack path -- taking obj looks like a freebie for assault, but advancing along that entire path is just one chokepoint/death trap after another. If assault successfully fights their way up the multi-floor staircase, they reach a single door. If they successfully get through that door, they're trapped in another room with only one exit.

4) Assault spawn placement -- the entrance leading to Y obj is much more apparent from spawn. This is also the worse choice for assault due to its chokepoint design. The "main" base entrance should be emphasized, not this narrower path.

5) Lighting -- many areas have zero lighting. There are a ton of hidden corners and holes to hide in. It seems like you consider this a feature ("plenty of dark corners") but I can't agree with this as good design.

6) Size of spaces -- some of the areas are larger than they need to be. There's a ton of empty space between the entrance bulletproof windows and the props in the rest of the space; those windows could get pulled back and the size of that space reduced. It'd make it easier for attackers to make it up those stairs.

7) Sound -- many effects go from loud to totally silent across a footstep, but this may be more of a sound engine limitation than a map design issue? Not sure. That dripping pipe in garage is really loud and from pretty far away, too.

8) Defense spawn -- A pitch black room with two doors for exits. There's not much visually interesting going on and, unless they can get through those doors before the round begins, it's going to be a complete clusterfrack every round. Those exits should be wider to facilitate comfortable player movement and, since that's not a key battle space, there's no reason not to.

9) Chokepoint design -- nearly every room has either only one door for assault to breach through or, if assault is given a door+window, the only exit to continue through the map is a single door. That's a lot of very narrow chokepoints for assault to die in. Adding alternate ingress options would help. A good way to do this would be to add doors or windows connecting some of the adjacent rooms. As an example, a door connecting the medical/lobby area to the locker area (both next to the red garage) would let assault take those rooms by breaching from two directions at once.

10) "tea baggers" for a team name? Seriously?

You have some interesting layouts:
- I think the area around X is well done, minus the lack of lighting in the Defense stairs area; I particularly like the bulletproof window placement and the half-wall designs in the X room
- I also appreciate the garage overwatch bulletproof windows offering intel without possibility of fire

... but I think the emphasis on dark corners, hiding spots, and tight series of chokepoints make the map in its present form less interesting than it otherwise could be.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:29 am 

Good constructive feedback is a valuable thing.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm 

Lobo, glad it worked out for you bud. can't wait to see the final product.

Damn Pull, I'm jealous! :oops:

I wish I got a page worth of feedback like that. :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:02 pm 

thank you for your opinion , quite a few of the things you point out ,ive had at the back of my mind ,as i said w.i.p open to tweaks and changes ,always open to others opinions,

oh and as for team baggers thats an in house joke, :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:26 pm 

I looked at it in the editor. I notice your wallsections aren't all on the grid.
Rule number 1 stay on the grid. Posted some screens to show what I mean.
You can see all these difference in positions of your wall sections in the first 4 pics.

To solve this select your wallmeshes and rmb than transform snap origin to grid.
See picture 5. Keep in mind to have toggle drag to grid checked. When this is solved
your textures would align perfect to.

Better use a wallpart without the bolts. This looks weird.

Try use same texture here to make it realistic.

To solve this select your wallmeshes and rmb than transform snap origin to grid.

Try to add somethinglike support beams to make it more realistic.
Never been to the states probably roofs wont need support there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 pm 

-=}WoLvErInE{=- wrote:

^^ THIS!

I hear you Wolvy!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 am 

-=}WoLvErInE{=- wrote:

We can start to provide solid feedback on eachother. It's like the butcher
judging his own meat, but who cares. We can also make a shedule where
we can test play usermade maps to increase the overall quality.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:52 am 

When I get home today I'll set up a UMM steam page so we can do all that. We can do announcements, set up test dates and even do events. Maybe do something like community's pick for map of the week...etc.

Lobo sorry to hijack thread bud. Maybe we can start new topic on this? Guys?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions