Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Porting Counter-Strike de_dust over.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:08 am 

Working on a port of Counter-Strike de_dust now. After a few conversions and porting I was able to get the geometry into the AA editor. Just put some stock material on the walls and floor for now.

Post subject: Re: Porting Counter-Strike de_dust over.
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:01 pm 

Will this be different from the previous dust map you made?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:24 pm 

perhaps this version will be more dimensionally exact to the original map, going by what he said..

believe it or not.. i have never played Counter Strike so i have no idea what the map is supposed to be like, but this port is looking good :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:49 pm 

The previously made dust2 by him was great except for a few innacuracies. I'm just curious if he's updating the map to be more accurate or if he's simply making a new dust map.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:59 pm 

Well this is the original dust map, not dust 2. Dust 2 he did a remake and didn't use the exact geometry because he was unable (at the time) to port it from the source engine.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:33 pm 

The_Vaporizer_ wrote:
Well this is the original dust map, not dust 2. Dust 2 he did a remake and didn't use the exact geometry because he was unable (at the time) to port it from the source engine.

Ahh if it isn't my Baltimore buddy. Since you're an avid CSGO player, what are the differences between the two?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:40 pm 

Its vastly different.. Only a small portion of dust is similar to Dust 2 imo. It's not like one small addition it's a whole new map.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:04 pm 

My first attempt at remaking Dust2 was done entirely with the basic editor only using the advanced editor to copy content from existing maps and paste into the basic editor. It was the first map I've ever built on any platform. It also lacked from any play testing since due to bugs it literally took like 10 minutes to load up the first time.

This is a direct port of the geometry from the original Dust map.

I made no attempt at keeping to the original scale on the Dust2 map I did. It was really an exercise of simply learning how to use the AA editor and done mostly from memory and a few top down images I found online.

This Dust map I plan to stay true to the original. I was able to export the exact geometry into UDK using various tools. I'm working on the textures/materials now. I don't know how it will actually play. Scale isn't exactly the same between CS and AA. Players move differently, physics are a little different, different weapons, etc.

It's just a fun exercise for me to learn new tools and these are two very classic maps that have influenced map making over almost all platforms.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Community Missions