Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Support

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: How did aa2 setup the double sliding doors?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:41 pm 

In aa2 both the rear garage entrance and the 1st floor lobby double doors were sliders. How was this achieved?
I read the post about triggering a door with "F" action button but the old doors seemed to be radius based depending on how far you were from the door for it to open and close.
Is this possible or working in AAPG?

Post subject: Re: How did aa2 setup the double sliding doors?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:06 pm 

i may be wrong, but i would assume a trigger 'touched' volume set to a desired size (how far away you want the player to be to activate the door) attached to a door open matinee* (the door you want to open when said volume is touched by the player) should work out.. all put together within in kismet of course.

that should get you theoretically what you want to achieve. its something im finding harder to explain than it would be to actually do :lol:

* you would also need to make a movement track for the glass door in matinee.

im not sure how AA2 did, thats before my time, but yeah its 100% possible in AAPG :mrgreen:

edit - that video might explain a trigger volume a little better than me :lol:

Last edited by uni-sol on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:10 pm 

^ wish their was a "Thanks" button....Uni...lol

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:20 pm 

Watch out to make it 'multiplayer-proof'. What works with one guy, can easily get broken/stuck with 2 people I guess. (E.g what happens it a player is sitting in the trigger volume and an other comes by?) This gave me quite a headache with my AA3 style doors, but I figured it out...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 pm 

Levente963 wrote:
Watch out to make it 'multiplayer-proof'. What works with one guy, can easily get broken/stuck with 2 people I guess. (E.g what happens it a player is sitting in the trigger volume and an other comes by?) This gave me quite a headache with my AA3 style doors, but I figured it out...

thats a very good point Levente, the only time i have used trigger volumes is on a shoothouse, not multiplayer..

im not entirely sure how you would get around them kinds of scenarios you mentioned :roll: however where there is a will.. there is always a way :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:26 pm 

Well, you can always check what I did if you download Alley_flag. :) (I didn't cook the map, so you can do that.) My setup is kind of crazy, because every door can open to both sides, depending what direction it is getting opened from etc, etc. In theory it is capable of anything, what an AA3 door could do. It does have some issues with the triggers, however.

Basically I placed triggers on each side of the door. If a trigger gets activated, it disables the others for a very short time (0,05 seconds maybe). To make these triggers synchronized, you have to do some magic with 'gates' and 'switches'.

The current setup is just insane, I made it once, but right now even I'd need a good 60-90 minutes to understand what is going on... I have an older one laying somewhere, what is easier to understand but still multiplayer-proof. I can dig it up, if anyone is interested. (I made a forum topic and a video of the old one, here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i6t511h-w0)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:43 pm 

Levente963 wrote:
Well, you can always check what I did if you download Alley_flag. :) (I didn't cook the map, so you can do that.) My setup is kind of crazy, because every door can open to both sides, depending what direction it is getting opened from etc, etc. In theory it is capable of anything, what an AA3 door could do. It does have some issues with the triggers, however.

Basically I placed triggers on each side of the door. If a trigger gets activated, it disables the others for a very short time (0,05 seconds maybe). To make these triggers synchronized, you have to do some magic with 'gates' and 'switches'.

The current setup is just insane, I made it once, but right now even I'd need a good 60-90 minutes to understand what is going on... I have an older one laying somewhere, what is easier to understand but still multiplayer-proof. I can dig it up, if anyone is interested. (I made a forum topic and a video of the old one, here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i6t511h-w0)

looks like a perfect working AA3/AA2 style door to me, well done! :mrgreen:

ive not gone near deep enough into making doors act anything like that, mine basically just swing open when you hit a triggered event (in my case when a target series is cleared or trigger volume is passed in my shoothouse). i imagine the kismet work needed just to get that door doing what you have managed to get it doing, is a pretty big undertaking, not for the faint of heart for sure.

if you ask me, the devs should be looking into what you have done because thats basically what many people have wanted doors in AAPG to act like, if we are to ever get them in official maps.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:56 pm 

There are doors in AAPG. As far as I know Altan used them for his maps. They are pretty simple doors - maybe even too simple - but they are there. They are called AA_Door or something in the actor list. You can open and close them, they work with any static mesh as far as I know. However, I had some bugs with them, when I was testing them out.

In one of the old podcasts there was a (indirect) reference to doors (at least I heard it between the lines) so we might see something cool with the full release.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:11 pm 

ahhh, AA_door thats what that actor was for :lol:

i never tried them, its been a while since i had a good old blast on the editor, especially anything that needed to use doors. when i made my SH, that actor was likely not available at the time, so im glad they have given support for them.

i also noticed some wise cracks in the podcasts about doors, cracking them etc.. i agree with you that hopefully we will see them spoilers in action when the game releases (or soon thereafter, at least) perhaps they may give the shotgun an actual purpose too, other than an insane weapon pick choice, for example.. door breaching :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - Support