Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hold Space to Vault?
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:46 am 

rokis wrote:
.sauce wrote:
If you move it to action, it will become, "I went to revive/pick up weapon/pick up flag/secure and vaulted instead." Just give a secondary option to set it to another key if you so choose.

agree

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 pm 

hbk314 wrote:
So you don't play the game? You just post on the forums?

Did something changed in 2 month, that I didn't play the game, that surfaced this issue again? Don't get me wrong I just, want to understand the reason behind this issue, that some of you are having, because I don't have this issue. You need "jump" to jump over something or to mount something. Also the jump button is used to hold your breath while in aiming mode.

Is the problem when you press jump right after you press aim down sights and that causes you to mount over? Explain?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 pm 

X-root wrote:
hbk314 wrote:

Did something changed in 2 month, that I didn't play the game, that surfaced this issue again? Don't get me wrong I just, want to understand the reason behind this issue, that some of you are having, because I don't have this issue. You need "jump" to jump over something or to mount something. Also the jump button is used to hold your breath while in aiming mode.

Is the problem when you press jump right after you press aim down sights and that causes you to mount over? Explain?

Wow...

It's never ceased to be a problem.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:21 pm 

hbk314 wrote:
X-root wrote:
hbk314 wrote:

Wow...

It's never ceased to be a problem.

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 pm 

X-root wrote:
hbk314 wrote:

When a player holds an angle, correct aim placement is generally head height. (Some players might argue slightly lower due to leaning or proning players, but kind of irrelevant to the point.) Some players will slide into an angle to present a harder target and force the defender into a harder shot.
Other players, like hbk, prefer to jump. Either way, his head is coming into the defender's FOV at an unexpected location.
In some locations, the game interprets the keypress not for jumping to a new spot, but as a desire to vault a nearby object. The game then commandeers player movement and aim in a situation where he perceived danger and was actively working to manage exposure. It goes completely counter to his intentions, making him more vulnerable instead of less, which is why it engenders so much frustration.

It's completely unrelated to holding breath. If you never use jump as an evasive maneuver, that's probably why you're unaware.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm 

BCPull wrote:
If you never use jump as an evasive maneuver, that's probably why you're unaware.

Based on his previous posts you might have to explain more about what the phrase evasive maneuver means...

Also I second separating vault and jump into two different keys but sadly, that's not how the game is coded.
RIP jumping.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:03 pm 

Whiplash27 wrote:
Press tactical mode -> no longer can vault. Simple enough to me.

This happens to me most of the the when I'm sprinting and jumping. For some odd reason the vault command extends much further when sprinting and makes you vault objects that are several feet away in an unexpected fashion. I don't really jump when in tactical mode, unless you meant use that button to cancel a vault.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:16 pm 

Whiplash27 wrote:
Press tactical mode -> no longer can vault. Simple enough to me.

If I'm trying to stealth around, I probably don't want to jump and make a loud landing noise. I probably may, however, want to quietly climb into an elevated spot.

Echoing JungleSheep, my impression is people hit the issue more while moving quickly.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 pm 

If all you needed jump for was to vault over or onto things, it would be called vault. That there is a separate name implies they have different uses. Jump is a sandbox action that doesn't require one described purpose in order for it to happen, just like you don't have to see an enemy or have game-pertinent information in order to mouselook. I'm all for simplifying controls when it is intuitive, but not when it is cumbersome or interupts the primary action. In this case, it has the potential to interupt the primary action. From a freedom of movement perspective, I would personally rather have a cs-like jump-crouch to get through windows or onto boxes, but I realize that isn't going to happen at this point.

Jump is an action that provides a lot of creative freedom in gameplay and sadly enough is bashed more than embraced by a lot of people. It's called, incorrectly, bunnyhopping by so many. If there is an exploit involved, it's exploiting the expectations and missed shot placement of the enemy. I see that as a boon to the game, not a pariah.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:57 pm 

I personally prefer the half-life style of jump and jump+crouch to get to stuff that's a bit higher. Unfortunately, vaulting is the standard in most games these days because it looks cooler and is more realistic. The half-life style makes for more simple game play.

Either way, it would never happen at this point. Even just making it standard jump with no vaulting (like AAO) would require tons of time redoing maps in order to make stuff so that the player can jump onto it whereas now they would vault/climb.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion