Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:23 pm 

Idk how well the new engine source will remedy that, but Am I the only one who thinks environment sounds are simply too loud now?

If it was my choice I'd have them low to med. AA2 you could hear foots steps coming from very far, it worked great. It is also one of the reason why AA players are still AA players. CSGO has taken that route. Even with their poop sound engine. Although their map levels are far less complex than AAPG

Anyone else agree or am I completely alone on this?

Post subject: Re: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:40 pm 

I have this issue extremely rarely. I have no trouble distinguishing ambient and significant sounds. It might be, that it's because of my not-as-competitive mindset/skill. As far as I know, competitive is being played on BDX and small FLO maps, but none of them has a high ambient sound level IMO - but I'm not playing much BDX so I can be wrong. (Maybe it's high on some very particular spots, but definitely not on the entire map.) For the casual player (me) most maps are fine (expect Redline).

To be honest, sometimes I feel myself dirty for the kills I got based on the sound. Some people on the forum will want to burn me alive for this, but I feel, that the sound (especially across several walls) is too loud. I can obviously live with this - heck, all those wallbanging kills, who would not want them - but I'd definitely not consider footstep 'underpowered' in their current state. I'm using a 5.1 USB headset BTW.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 pm 

Levente963 wrote:
I have this issue extremely rarely. I have no trouble distinguishing ambient and significant sounds. It might be, that it's because of my not-as-competitive mindset/skill. As far as I know, competitive is being played on BDX and small FLO maps, but none of them has a high ambient sound level IMO - but I'm not playing much BDX so I can be wrong. (Maybe it's high on some very particular spots, but definitely not on the entire map.) For the casual player (me) most maps are fine (expect Redline).

To be honest, sometimes I feel myself dirty for the kills I got based on the sound. Some people on the forum will want to burn me alive for this, but I feel, that the sound (especially across several walls) is too loud. I can obviously live with this - heck, all those wallbanging kills, who would not want them - but I'd definitely not consider footstep 'underpowered' in their current state. I'm using a 5.1 USB headset BTW.

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:27 pm 

I think its too loud. But I also think the footsteps are too loud. So I guess it is a good way to cover up footsteps.

Twitch.tv
Youtube channel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 pm 

Frigid wrote:
Levente963 wrote:

Image Image

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:47 pm 

jeee wrote:
I think its too loud. But I also think the footsteps are too loud. So I guess it is a good way to cover up footsteps.

Really?

I think ambient is way too loud and it annoys the hell out of me.
As for the footsteps, I find them ok. I really have to concentrate though due to the crappy sound engine. Perhaps new engine will drastically change a lot of it? For me vertical sound is critical, but not as important as actually having clear footsteps sound. I also wanna be able to hear it reliably (cough spring street banks cough)

One thing that drives me nuts is being able to hear someone and then they are already on your side of the wall I find that infuriating.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:35 pm 

The footstep distance is not too bad for me right now. The biggest problem, as I see it, is metal sounding like wood and not being able to tell up from down.

If the distance was anything like AA2, then I think that we would have even more of a problem with wallbangs and pre-firing on these small maps.

I do see what Rokis is saying though. If you turn your sound up too loud to here footsteps better, then your own gunfire will give you pre-mature hearing loss.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm 

SgtBadazz wrote:
I do see what Rokis is saying though. If you turn your sound up too loud to here footsteps better, then your own gunfire will give you pre-mature hearing loss.

when that silly '3 minute long SAW fire' bug happens and you cranked your headphones, instant tinnitus :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:48 pm 

My biggest issues currently are the lack of a Z-axis, the fact that metal doesn't sound like metal and there being a distance where footsteps just disappear rather than fade out.

Is the ambient synced for everyone on the server, or is something run locally as part of the map? Does everyone hear the voice over the PA on Redline or helicopters flying over at the same time?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:48 pm 

hbk314 wrote:
My biggest issues currently are the lack of a Z-axis, the fact that metal doesn't sound like metal and there being a distance where footsteps just disappear rather than fade out.

Is the ambient synced for everyone on the server, or is something run locally as part of the map? Does everyone hear the voice over the PA on Redline or helicopters flying over at the same time?

This will be fixed in the release. -Doba

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion