Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ambient noise level
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:09 pm 

my eq is no low very high highs

Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:11 pm 

I used to play at 50% volume with my outside 5.1 surround. I had treble and bass db's maxed. After two or three rounds I couldn't hear a thing. I did notice that foot steps were louder and more directional in spectate mode over game mode. Why is that?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:06 am 

io_i_oi wrote:
I used to play at 50% volume with my outside 5.1 surround. I had treble and bass db's maxed. After two or three rounds I couldn't hear a thing. I did notice that foot steps were louder and more directional in spectate mode over game mode. Why is that?

5.1 my goodness. That's a huge fail right there.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:22 am 

rokis wrote:
io_i_oi wrote:

yea 7.1 ftw

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:12 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

just edit your ini and remove all ambient sounds

amiright?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:07 pm 

doogle2d wrote:
just edit your ini and remove all ambient sounds

amiright?

Well, you are, actually...

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:39 am 

To me bad sound design spoiled AA2 at some point. While it's very fair sound to be an important aspect of the game, pro soundcards just make it silly. I wish nVidia releases and on-board Walhack so then I can tell people "Hey, it's hardware man". To be able to listen people crawling considerably away or behind walls it's silly. It influenced the playstyle by giving more awareness of other players than it should, good equipped players turned into a funnel spider, being in a hole, listening, when someone was around come out, kill and go back into the hole or just wait for them leaning in a doorway. Disgusting.

Noise is something welcome for a natural gameplay even visual. Something that annoyed me in Steamroller is that while you are looking at an immense building landscape if you stay still, you see a pixel moving and you know that is a guy moving. Ridiculous. In CoD they have an interesting way to diminish this by having papers and leaves flying around. Which makes that any movement you see in the corner of your eye doesn't mean "enemy!"

Volumetric sound design is something very important with a lot of impact to the game. Really hope this gets well addressed.

Cheers

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:47 pm 

Frigid wrote:
rokis wrote:
io_i_oi wrote:

yea 7.1 ftw

I don't think so. Not for outside sound especially when I can make the floors and windows rattle. :P

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 am 

Well I have 7.1 headphones, not a speaker system. :D

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:11 am 

@rokis - i've got same issue with ambient sound even after EQ tweaking, by chance you aren't using Sennheiser HD 598's or something comparable? I notice i hear footsteps better and less ambient noise on a 39$ plantronics headset, only problem is the cans are too tiny and the sound dispersion is awful and sit on the ear as opposed to over, and pinch my ears..

ultimate cheesery dropping over 350$ after tax on high end headphones to find out my 39$ headset hardly picked up any ambient sound in comparison to these, with out tweaking my EQ excessively i could hardly even hear footsteps let alone gunfire, and i honestly really wish this time i was exaggerating it was so bad pre-eq adjustment that i thought the sound in my game was broken..

now it's manageable but still excessively ambient, i notice i do hear directionally a bit better than people with headphones that have simulated directional drivers and speakers, but still its often a coin toss on where i think i hear someone, especially if its in areas with louder ambient sounds, then im pretty much sol.

I hope the Wwise is as promising as it sounds, no pun intended, and that the devs test with a wider range of headphones including the high-end ones as well.

Some of us are audiophiles

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion