Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Keeping them honest - Fighting the war against dishonesty
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:48 am 

Background
I have played America's Army games since just after the release of AA2, and remained with the AA2 community until a few months ago, when I decided it was time to make the move forward to AAPG. I have administrated a handful of servers in the past, and have spent a great deal of time learning to recognize the mannerisms of hackers. In my last few months playing AAPG, I have been mortified by the amount of hackers (some obvious, some not) that I have come across. But what bothers me further, is how there is virtually nothing keeping them at bay.

There are two kinds of hackers
Now I said that some of the hackers are obvious, while others are a little more subtle. By that I simply mean the obvious ones use the observable hacks; e.g. no recoil or aim aids. The less obvious ones use wall hacks, or reduced recoil, or auto-controlled recoil. And honestly, the amount of things hacks these days allow you to tweak is unprecedented. It is easy, but nonetheless frustrating, to catch the obvious hackers and vote kick them, or record them and send in the video for official evaluation. The less obvious hackers, however, are left unchecked.

What could be different
I only played privately hosted AA2 servers, which ran public Anticheat scripts, such as those supported by Anti Cheat Inc. I do not understand why such countermeasures are not implemented in official servers now. But make no mistake, the one thing that most effectively kept hackers out of the servers was access to public PunkBuster screenshot servers.

Why public screenshot servers work the best
For those who do not know, a public screenshot server is one that has a predetermined time interval; a heartbeat; in which a screenshot is taken of every player's interface. Nine out of ten times, a hacker will have some kind of interface, be it hit boxes, name tags or an an extra minimap. A very select few actually run hacks incognito, with no observable interface. Public screenshots bring hacker interfaces to light, for the whole community to see. This of course does not eliminate all hackers, but does get rid of most of them.

Archiving hackers and tying accounts together
Official servers should either collaborate with already existing communities (see AntiCheat Inc. above), or implement a new form of archive, to archive account histories. Player account should be tied by GUIDs, past and present player names, past and previous IP addresses, and MAC addresses. This is to stop hackers from simply creating new accounts and getting a clean slate.

In summary
AAPG is a hell of a game, and is almost ready to go alpha. But it would lack a lot of integrity if new countermeasures were to not be implemented before official release. Anticheat scripts work well for common malicious programs, but community and a public screenshot heartbeat has proved to work better. Documentation and public access to violation histories would further allow the community to wage the war on unfair game play.

GrandpaBear

Last edited by GrandpaBear on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Keeping them honest - Fighting the war against dishonest
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:02 am 

Do SuperPowers count as hacks?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:35 am 
AACM
AACM

Thanks for the post I'll definitely look in to this Punkbuster screen shot you speak of :)

In the interests though of saving us from another protracted discussion on this, no we will not be opening up screenshots on the Officials to the public.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:45 am 

I guess my question is this: what is the difference between a REALLY good player and a less obvious hacker to you? Is that bar set by your successes and failures? By your observation? By the comments of those around you?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:07 am 

sauce has an interesting one,can i add two more question:

How many people did you accuse wrongfully during all those years in your AA adventures in various positions without solid proof just using your endless amount of experience who were dancing on the thin line between subtle hacker/really good player in your opinion and how many did you personally apologize to for doing so wrongfully.

What qualifications do you have to judge people playing online games if they are legit or not except playing this game and other fps titles for over 10 years and renting a server?How do you know about features and setting of current cheats if i may ask?

Image Image

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:20 am 

I rarely see hackers.....

I think there could be a link somewhere between not so good players noticing 5,000 times more cheaters than better players. I just can't work it out......

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:32 am 

TheBadaBing! wrote:

I think there could be a link somewhere between not so good players noticing 5,000 times more cheaters than better players. I just can't work it out......

There does seem to be some kind of relationship in this matter, I've noticed that as well.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:35 am 
Volunteer Community Manager
Volunteer Community Manager

I have also administered several severs in the past, running private scripts, etc. I can count on one hand (and have several fingers left over) the number of times one of these visual observations of cheating ended up being accurate.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 am 

bart3097 wrote:
TheBadaBing! wrote:

There does seem to be some kind of relationship in this matter, I've noticed that as well.

This is the third topic today juggling around the same conversation started by long time AA pros,home made cvar check writing gods server renting pros and clan leaders who had more cheaters in their clans busted than i have fingers on a hand.

Image Image

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:50 am 

Dem@n wrote:
bart3097 wrote:
TheBadaBing! wrote:

This is the third topic today juggling around the same conversation started by long time AA pros,home made cvar check writing gods server renting pros and clan leaders who had more cheaters in their clans busted than i have fingers on a hand.

What demon is saying is, why should we take the input about maps, weapons and movement seriously from these players that believe 50% of he community is cheating.

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion