Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 1230
loc dog21 wrote:
No the existing community does not be like that...

It's been said and repeated many, many times now by different people that the goal is to have them make the game similar to AA2 (massive unique success btw) but not a clone. Stop marginalizing people who have a different opinion. Most people who agree with me don't even post on these forums anymore and when someone new does they get ridiculed, mainly by the endboss troll of these forums which is TheBadaBing. Stop it already will ya -.-


He's no more a troll than you are, nor is he marginalizing any more than you.

loc dog21 wrote:
There are plenty of mainstream shooters with all of tha bling, every gun known to man, scooters, jetpacks, drones, you name it. So why try to change the only game that isn't "that" game into that which already exists in abundance.


They have not suggested "every gun known to man, scooters, jetpacks, drones," or "you name it." The sheer over-reaching of your argument says it all. One suggestion isn't turning the game into anything, let alone some imagined genre of fps games that is really only categorized by your distaste and not any particular feature/theme.

I don't always agree with him, but the backlash for suggesting anything that wasn't in AA2 is way worse than the silly jokes bada makes about old men.

_________________
HEY MAN NICE SHOT


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:00 pm
Posts: 467
No offense, but I don't think you understand the words troll and marginalise then or you just didn't understand my post as a whole.

My "over-reaching the argument" "every gun known to man, scooters, jetpacks, drones," or "you name it." is just to emphasize the difference between what is AA and what is not AA. I'm not relating those things to what people generally suggest for AAPG.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:54 pm
Posts: 1230
If you say so then it must be.

_________________
HEY MAN NICE SHOT


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:11 pm
Posts: 3518
Location: Czervenia
Quote:
America's Army is the name given to a game technology platform used to develop first person shooter (FPS) games published in 2002 by the U.S. Army. The game is branded as a strategic communication device, designed to allow young Americans virtually explore the Army at their own pace and according to their interests to determine if Soldiering matches their needs, interests and abilities. America's Army represents the first large-scale use of game technology by the U.S. government as a platform for strategic communication and the first use of game technology in support of U.S. Army recruiting.


That's what AA is, pretty sure most people here know what it's not, by now at least :mrgreen:

Does that really mean we cant have drones?.. Jetpacks might be a few years away, we are already getting some new guns, even if you have to work for them.. think of all the variety of weapons they had in the beloved AA2! all manner of exploding, projectile goodness too! :lol: that wasn't over the top though, right?

Hmmm, come to think about it, there was a drone(s) in AA3, or at least something that acted like one, maybe someone can pull the info on it specifically? anyway.. the Impact map had something drone-like flying overhead, if I'm remembering correctly :mrgreen:

One things for sure, we can all make suggestions.. but we have to also be concious of a line we cant see, the line that defines what AA actually can and can't do for legality reasons. We know we aint getting knives, full on blood gore or pilot-able Apache helicopters, but there's absolutely no harm in asking for new fandangly things though, no matter how silly it may seem, I mean.. what's the worse that can happen?.. be ignored, trolled, or told an official.. 'NO'. Were on a forum where suggestions, feedback and contribution are asked for and wanted. Damn, I just let in on my 'get outta jail free card' when the mods come knocking on the troll-ery door :lol:

Now, can we get some destructible buildings up in here or what? ala BF (dare i say it) perhaps?.. or maybe that's not AA either?


Note to devs.. Don't forget about that MP5! Plus..
Fireteams in the real US Army have Grenadiers! <- AA2-3 & Google told me so.

_________________
Image

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 1236
loc dog21 wrote:
It's been said and repeated many, many times now by different people that the goal is to have them make the game similar to AA2 (massive unique success btw) but not a clone.

Who are these people saying this? If this is the case then why is AAPG not like AA2? If the goal is to make the game like AA2 why was it originally set to a training ground theme with maps and weapon behaviours nothing like AA2? How i see it the game is trying to make a modern approach to the AA series but at the same time is trying to keep all the "AA2 is the best game ever and nothing will ever replace it" guys happy.

Players like you always bring up the success of AA2 as a reason to clone it (yes you do want to clone it every thing is compared to AA2) not considering the reasons which helped it and the reasons it wouldn't be the same today.

The free to play model didn't exist back then.
The rise of consoles since then.
Lots of competition on steam.
Rival games have become huge franchises with mega budgets.
The game was free on magazine covers which put it in players hands with no download.
The advertising of other games is now next level with tv spots like movies.
Other games will offer so much more than it.
It was new.
Arma has the realism game on lock and stolen lots of older gentleman away.

A game as basic as AA2 would not be as popular today which is why you need to get over the whole "Well it wasn't in AA2 then i don't agree with it" stance.

Now the game has to be good not just free.

loc dog21 wrote:
Stop marginalizing people who have a different opinion.


Since day one of being here if i discuss Capture The Flag with respawns or an SMG the old guard pipe up with "This is not Call of Duty" then typing something about air strikes and kill streaks. Then you hate it when you get it back.... This forum was filled full of old AA2 players crying for the old days controlled by the moderators with the same opinions but luckily nowadays there is more comp players on here to even out the poop.

loc dog21 wrote:
Most people who agree with me don't even post on these forums anymore and when someone new does they get ridiculed, mainly by the endboss troll of these forums which is TheBadaBing. Stop it already will ya -.-


And most of the people who agree with me don't even play the game because it has been held back by players being so against anything new, skill and modern games that they don't find this game fun at all.

loc dog21 wrote:
If you keep brushing "AA2 style advocates" aside and say they are stuck in the past then i could just as easily brush everyone else off as being COD kids and keep repeating it untill people actually believe it. Because what you advocate is undeniably closer to COD than the AA series. Now tell me, is that a fair assumption to make?


You don't need to people all already do. Let me guess i want kill streaks right?

loc dog21 wrote:
There are plenty of mainstream shooters with all of tha bling, every gun known to man, scooters, jetpacks, drones, you name it. So why try to change the only game that isn't "that" game into that which already exists in abundance.


Who is asking to fill the game with everything? All ive ever wanted from this game is:

A respawn gametype like Capture The Flag or TDM.
An SMG.
A Sniper (Make a wish granted me this).
The C4 gametype (Granted but badly executed).
And Mod Tools because the Dev and public version of this game will never 100% be both public & comp friendly.
Better competitive maps.

_________________
Your warning level: [ 1 ]

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:18 am
Posts: 12
Hope they fix the acog..Seems to be overdone! So big looks like a sniper scope on m16.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:39 am
Posts: 102
.

_________________
[Dev]TheTots wrote:
If this thread could be about the OP that would just be spectacular.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 8:00 pm
Posts: 714
Location: Riga, Latvia
TheBadaBing!
You are probably too young to remember this, but America's Army did start as a training only with laser tag games and only at 1.8 version even official servers give in to live fire combat on traditional training maps.
AA:O was and still is one of the best games, but technically it's too outdated. It's popularity was not the lack of good titles or the fact that it was free to play, since there was enough titles with both exiting game-play and free, same as a lot of great pay to play titles. Not mentioning the insane of pirate servers where people could play for free.

The reason why AA:O was popular, is because of it's philosophy, rules and approach, that in a whole created this unique game-play, that kept players from around the world for 10 years. Even now there are some people who play the game.

Because of the modern trends, where players are wishing for new features, but in reality are forced by the industry to believe, that they like things they don't really need. This mass consumption generation was started to pick up at that time as well. Let's face it AA:PG will never be able to compete with giants even if the game is free it will still lose to the title that costs $60+
Look at the market, there is absolutely no games like AA:O, but there are a lot of players who would like to try it if it would go out now.

Now about cloning AA:O, yes I was thinking, back when I was still actively playing it, that all this game needs is a new engine. Of course now it's silly to assume that there we need a copy of the AA:O, since there where some features in the game, that now could be done absolutely different doe to almost limitless possibilities, but this doesn't mean that we need to overlook all the best features, that made AA:O one of the best games for a great number of players and is still making this game unique.

Was AA:O perfect? No. Was it simply a free to play game? Not in the least. AA:O had so many features, that not even modern games like CoD have today.

_________________
Не река и не машина я, а Volga Gornaja
You can see me play on my stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/volgagornaja
I'll send You all back to the ROOTS...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 am
Posts: 1236
X-root wrote:
You are probably too young to remember this, but America's Army did start as a training only with laser tag games and only at 1.8 version even official servers give in to live fire combat on traditional training maps.
AA:O was and still is one of the best games, but technically it's too outdated. It's popularity was not the lack of good titles or the fact that it was free to play, since there was enough titles with both exiting game-play and free, same as a lot of great pay to play titles. Not mentioning the insane of pirate servers where people could play for free.


I was busy playing Game of the year 2003 Call of Duty.

X-root wrote:
The reason why AA:O was popular, is because of it's philosophy, rules and approach, that in a whole created this unique game-play, that kept players from around the world for 10 years. Even now there are some people who play the game.


Other games have the same and better.

X-root wrote:
Because of the modern trends, where players are wishing for new features, but in reality are forced by the industry to believe, that they like things they don't really need. This mass consumption generation was started to pick up at that time as well. Let's face it AA:PG will never be able to compete with giants even if the game is free it will still lose to the title that costs $60+
Look at the market, there is absolutely no games like AA:O, but there are a lot of players who would like to try it if it would go out now.


Yes its the industry. at least you didn't say the illuminati....

Yes its the Industry that is making me believe that i need an SMG type weapon to have exciting attacking gameplay. Brain washing me to believe that sitting in a corner staring at my PC screen watching an entrance for the majority of the round like a dull lemon is boring.

The industry must of convinced me that having an alternative game mode with respawns where you're always in the action so players don't have to sit and watch some of the worst FPS players ive ever seen tumble around for 1 or 2 minutes because the attacking team out bored you to death.

X-root wrote:
Now about cloning AA:O, yes I was thinking, back when I was still actively playing it, that all this game needs is a new engine. Of course now it's silly to assume that there we need a copy of the AA:O, since there where some features in the game, that now could be done absolutely different doe to almost limitless possibilities, but this doesn't mean that we need to overlook all the best features, that made AA:O one of the best games for a great number of players and is still making this game unique.


We do have to overlook them if they have the effect you want them to have. Slowing the game down like you admitted to before on the forum.

X-root wrote:
Was AA:O perfect? No. Was it simply a free to play game? Not in the least. AA:O had so many features, that not even modern games like CoD have today.


Yeah features so good they didn't make the cut in future games.

_________________
Your warning level: [ 1 ]

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New Classes Suggestion.
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm
Posts: 2512
Location: Acey said 10%
TheBadaBing! wrote:
I was busy playing Game of the year 2003 Call of Duty.

Your point? AA had a huge fan base. Back in 2003 the game was probably one of the most popular FPS games on the market. I can't recall any stats, but the game was huge and so was the competitive community.

At this time (2003 & 2004) there was CoD, Battlefield 1942 & Vietnam, Counter-Strike, TFC, Natural Selection, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Rainbow 6: Raven Shield, Unreal Tournament 2003/2004, Operation Flashpoint (which I remember a lot of AA players talking about, predecessor to ARMA) Day of Defeat, plus Source came out in 2004, all popular games. Of course the main thing back thing was that the only modern military shooter was AA. It was the only game in town. CS and Rainbow 6 were modern shooters, but not military based. However, one could say that there was actually a similar (or maybe slightly larger) amount of popular FPS games back then. Today what do we have? CS, TF2, BF, CoD, ARMA, Insurgency (which, while more popular than AAPG, isn't all that popular), what else? Again, the main thing is that today most games are modern shooters, the market is saturated.

Quote:
Yes its the industry. at least you didn't say the illuminati....

Yes its the Industry that is making me believe that i need an SMG type weapon to have exciting attacking gameplay. Brain washing me to believe that sitting in a corner staring at my PC screen watching an entrance for the majority of the round like a dull lemon is boring.

The industry must of convinced me that having an alternative game mode with respawns where you're always in the action so players don't have to sit and watch some of the worst FPS players ive ever seen tumble around for 1 or 2 minutes because the attacking team out bored you to death.

Well, the industry does push the "more is better" idea on players. Unlock a billion weapons which play only slightly differently than the rest. Anything that's very different is probably OP or sucks.

The big thing, IMO, is that today we're in a ADHD lack of patience culture. Playing a video game where you have to wait 5+ minutes if you die in the first minute of the round is not something that people would be happy about. Believe it or not, 5 minute rounds were once the norm in CS as well.

As I said, I'm not against respawn mode in AAPG. I just don't know how it would fit when your major game modes are round based. Shorter round times would be the best test (something the Devs don't seem to want to test). Round times should be map specific rather than one size fits all. However, they should also favor quick decisions. You can have a tactical and even slower paced game that takes place in 4 minutes. You just need to spend more time moving and less time sitting around.

Quote:
We do have to overlook them if they have the effect you want them to have. Slowing the game down like you admitted to before on the forum.

It depends on what we mean by slowing the game down. You can slow the pace of the game while still having everything take place over a short period of time. At the end of the day, the round time is the major factor.
As an example, if the game punishes you for getting injured and makes you move slower, but yet you have the same amount of time as before, you're forced to make decisions even faster than before because you have the same amount of time, but won't be able to do things as quickly.

Quote:
Yeah features so good they didn't make the cut in future games.

AAO was the first or one of the first to do a lot of stuff that are now standard in most MMS, but let's not let that get in the way of our views on the game.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron