Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: We need this training aid
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:48 pm 

Interesting take on the reaction test. I wish the bots had AI, that way they would be programmed to attack you, and we could practice targeting them while they tried to reach you, strafing, jumping and etc.. the player would be standing on a platform and the AI's would never be able to actually get to the player, instead they would fall into a pit to their deaths. I wonder what we could suggest to make it better. Current version is predictable and won't take much to time it down.

Good job though. I played the V1 and it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:52 pm 

So...the reason we can't practice by just playing over and over in the game is because that lowers our KDR, XPM and street cred, right.....?

Kinda like working out instead of ....you know....working?

:D

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 pm 

Amazing work in such a short amount of time. Can't wait to see what this evolves into....

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 pm 

rokis wrote:
Interesting take on the reaction test. I wish the bots had AI, that way they would be programmed to attack you, and we could practice targeting them while they tried to reach you, strafing, jumping and etc.. the player would be standing on a platform and the AI's would never be able to actually get to the player, instead they would fall into a pit to their deaths. I wonder what we could suggest to make it better. Current version is predictable and won't take much to time it down.

Good job though. I played the V1 and it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be

The reaction part is done to perfrction what you're describing is another aid in cs I seen where its a room of bots changing position's, coming at you etc. I'd have to look for the video but Im away for the long weekend...too much work on this damn pad

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 pm 

Keebler_750 wrote:
So...the reason we can't practice by just playing over and over in the game is because that lowers our KDR, XPM and street cred, right.....?

Should evolve as part of the game not just a umm but whatever.. Just glad it's coming along this nicely. Can't wait to get home and try it

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:14 pm 

Keebler_750 wrote:

This is 100% joke right? I'm counting on the smiley face at the end as implying that everything else is said in complete jest.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:44 pm 

Keebler_750 wrote:

Think of it like sports. If sports players could get better by only playing in games then they wouldn't need to practice. Whereas at the same time a player can be a star in practice, but stink in game. You need both. Of course with sports on an organized level, you also have a coach who can see where your flaws are and help you work through them. In gaming, such a thing rarely exists... although there are people who are generous enough with their time to help others get better. A training system such as this helps player hone reaction skills and aiming. It's a version of practice with easy enough feedback to tell you how you can improve. It's not going to teach you strategy and the like, but it will teach the fundamentals.

Does everyone need to do this? Well it depends on what your goals are. A casual player who doesn't care much for how they score in game will have very little use for a tool like this. A casual player who wants to be at the top of the scoreboard every game may want to use this tool to help themselves get better. Of course they may have a decent amount of skill from just playing through the years and may typically be that player. Of course then when they run into real high end players they may not do so well and get frustrated. A competitive player may use this tool to a much higher degree. All depends.

From my personal experience, I've played FPS games since I was quite young. I remember playing Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, and Duke 3D. Half-Life especially was when I got into online gaming. So I've been playing FPS games for a long time. AA/AA2 was really my only foray into competitive gaming. I'm a good player, but I also know that when I get into a server with top notch players like Ek, Colts, shhfiftyfive, Hyperlite, BCPull, sauce, among others they'll whoop my [TOS Violation] unless they just happen to be having a bad day. Sure, I'll score some kills against them here and there, may even be able to have some even games against them, but if they're on their game it's not even much of a challenge most of the time.

On public servers, if guys of that caliber aren't there, I can easily sit at or near the top of the server on most games if I'm playing well. For me it's always been just from playing games my whole life. I've never been the type to practice regularly or use trainers. However, if I wanted to ever even get to that level of play, especially if I wanted to try to become a serious competitive player, then yes a tool like this would be very useful to have.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 pm 

Keebler_750 wrote:

I can 'work' by shooting one or two things a round and then waiting for my team to crawl the flag to the extraction... or I can play this map and cut out a lot of extra time.

Twitch.tv
Youtube channel

Post Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

Heh heh. I actually planned on typing a "I'm mostly joking" message. Apparently the boss came around and I forgot. LOL.

I understand training. Still the best thing that ever helped me was offline map knowledge and lots of PLAY.

(Not work..... :))

Geez, Whippy ....you played Wolfenstein?! :shock: :P

By the way....I will NEVER....be a very good player. I still love the game though.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 am 

The best thing about the aim maps is that you are by yourself, there is no pressure, you can just let go and become absorbed in the course. Don't think, don't try, don't worry if you miss, just let your mouse hand figure it out. 10 minutes of this before you join a match and you'll start seeing a difference fast. Consider it a warm-up, that way even if you don't have a lot of time for gaming you still get to play some matches but you see improvement as well which is rewarding.

If you find yourself getting the drop on players and still dying, this course is a great place to end that frustrating pattern.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion