Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Improving the quality of game casts and spectator mode
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:04 pm 

This, I think, is a must-watch for anyone that wants to be a good observer/caster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0tMbnuQtdY

However, AAPG doesn't support toggling X-Ray for the spectator in its current state. (AAPG X-Ray also doesn't show damage dealt or grenade path traces or player aim direction and doesn't represent player distances as well.) Steel explains how being able to toggle this feature gives anyone watching greater appreciation for player skill and makes the experience more engaging.

Here's one simple example of x-ray toggling being used to good effect to create tension:
http://gfycat.com/FlashyUnsungBats

AAPG also doesn't offer the spectator a full-map overview (the M map doesn't count as it obstructs vision); this alone essentially guarantees that the caster will miss action. Steel discusses how the observer is watching the minimap, not the player's view, to predict action and make sure the camera is always where it needs to be.

These are hopefully relatively simple changes that would go a long way to making match casts more engaging.

Post subject: Re: Improving the quality of game casts and spectator mode
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:27 pm 

good points. Being able to see how much damage was dealt on spams, drag shots, and nades would be incredible and make things that much more interesting to watch. It would also be good if the spectator could go directly to a player instead of having to cycle through to find the one that you want. I just wonder if this game will have a big enough following to warrant the Devs spending time and resources to implement these things.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:25 am 

BCPull wrote:
AAPG also doesn't offer the spectator a full-map overview (the M map doesn't count as it obstructs vision); this alone essentially guarantees that the caster will miss action. Steel discusses how the observer is watching the minimap, not the player's view, to predict action and make sure the camera is always where it needs to be.

This would be key for me if I were to cast.. setting up an overview map on my second monitor so I can see quickly that player A is getting close to player B.. make the switch and give the audience that angle.

As far as damage, although its not great we do have health bars in spectator view under player names.. I think you have to be in 3rd person view to see it

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:55 am 

If you press F4 in spectator, that brings up the advanced spectator screen. This displays the healt, nades, and weapons of each player. It has keybinds for each player as well.

However, there is no solution for the map thing as far as I know.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:35 am 

Levente963 wrote:
If you press F4 in spectator, that brings up the advanced spectator screen. This displays the healt, nades, and weapons of each player. It has keybinds for each player as well.

However, there is no solution for the map thing as far as I know.

With the current overlay, players have to simultaneously try to watch both sides of the screen as well as the action at the center to follow who's taking damage. It's hard to correlate in real-time.

This kind of display is much more engaging:

I think the displays at the sides of the screen are great, I'm just suggesting further improvements.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:33 am 

I'd say it's more the gameplay that needs improving than the casts. Big man JC aka James Carter the stream whisperer, the German Jim Ross tried most things back in 2014. I think any changes to the overlays will have the same effect the spectator overlay had when it was first introduced to streaming matches.... Not much difference when it's position holding and angle camping gameplay with uncompetitive like maps that bores any viewer that isn't a die hard player in 3 minutes flat.

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion