Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hit detection video
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:19 pm 

For sure. It's sad really, that there are groups of them that intentionally exploit the latency advantages on US servers.

Steam --> ℑąƙ
Stats --> ℑąƙ

Quote:
Only because a mod asked nicely.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:28 pm 

JaK- wrote:
They have explained on several occasions the pro's AND con's of each system. They are leaning to the side which levels the playing field for high pings. They have acknowledged within so many words that the CSHD model could also favor those high pings. But they choose this over high pings being isolated off the servers completely. You cannot blame them for that. This is also why they released the SS switch. For those players/servers without the foreign player requirements.

Quote:
But what happens when a calculated hit on 1 persons client is a miss on another? How does the system decide whos correct?

I frequent these forums and this is a very specific question. Dev's dodge specifics. Why? Because there is really no solid evidence behind the decision to switch and If there was, we would have heard it by now. It was a decision based on how the game felt in closed play tests with betas and dev's on sub-par servers. Quite frankly, theres maybe two or three people out of all dev's and betas that react quick enough to REALLY feel the difference. (No disrespect intended, BUT this is why comp players feel the difference and why SSHD is the comp standard)

If you can find the answer to my question someplace then please share it. Otherwise, shut it.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 pm 

JaK- wrote:
For sure. It's sad really, that there are groups of them that intentionally exploit the latency advantages on US servers.

Yep, the ek group do it frequently.. actually they do it 100% of the time & brag about it. quite pathetic.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:51 pm 

hust1e- wrote:
JaK- wrote:

Yep, the ek group do it frequently.. actually they do it 100% of the time & brag about it. quite pathetic.

Well, minus the callout. It's players like this who stack up a side with above average ping and "lag compensate" their way to a 4/1 kd. These people should feel ashamed for themselves.

Steam --> ℑąƙ
Stats --> ℑąƙ

Quote:
Only because a mod asked nicely.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 pm 

LegolasAA wrote:
Server - U.S. Army Official JFK12
Date - 10/21/2014
Time - 21:00:00 (about)

This looks like it should of easily been a kill opinions please?

That is crazy. It is really clear that you shot him in the head. I sgould turn on paintball maybe I will notice the bad hit reg more Ive only played like 2-3hrs in the past week though.

This is clientside on a US Army Offical too huh. I think default server settings need to be looked at. Netspeed, and bandwith should be increased. The default values are from a time when Internet was not even close to the speed it is now for everybody.

I am also wondering with the new thing where you have accuracy cone until your fully zoomed in. Is it possible that there may be a bug at times where the accuracy cone stays even when your zoomed in?

Last edited by iColts on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 pm 

JaK- wrote:

It is quite sad too the highest honor in the refuses to play in his own region. He chooses to play on US servers sometimes SFO which is even farther for him. Just because he knows he has the advantage. Something should be done about this but I doubt anything will, this is what happens when you try to make it fair for high pingers. It should never be like this the higher ping should always be be at disadvantage for having a higher ping. The way the netcode in this game is setup IMO it caters to higher pingers whether it be SSHD or CSHD the Higher pinger always seems to be at advantage how is the FAIR? and how is this suppose to be fun for the rest of us?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 pm 

[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
io_i_oi wrote:
Hey Bull, I understand the game mechanics.

Yes, the bullet is just a line traveling in a predetermined arc using a mathematical formula. The soldier's head is a rendering for graphics. It is roundish. The hit box (which is a square box) is placed around the head and attached to lower body hit boxes.

Since lag may cause the enemy to actually be 12 inches to the right or left of where it appears to the shooter then how can anyone tell if hit boxes are not registering correctly? You would have to host a 1v1 game on the same computer and test with no graphic rendering to see where the bullet path intersects.

We have a tendency to believe what we see in a game and not realize the mechanics behind the graphics. My post was pun because I get frustrated with shots too, but this was my point:

Quote:
If the game had absolute zero lag, a jury might award you a kill on the second shot. I am still uncertain and feel your frustration.

I am surprised that "bullet spin and climb" is not calculated in. It's a simple formula to program in.

A hit box is not a box nor is it a square, it is pill shaped if anything and matches up extremely close to the character mesh in all areas. It is within 1/16 of an inch in all areas.

Under a client side hit detection target is where your client draws it. Thus the "client" part of client side hit detection. It is under the server side model where the target may be ahead or behind where it appears to be, depending on latency.

So hit boxes are not squared but more faceted than even in Example B ?

Example A Basic:

Example B Complex:

I never miss a shot in Minecraft :P

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 pm 

Example C (AAPG): (this is what Jak posted from a while back and is likely out of date)

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:56 pm 

Both Colts and Ekcomms posts are very on point - I've had several "tasteful" posts with what i thought to be a great question to wake up the next morning to see that my post was either not answered or removed. or a blanket statement.
and I've had enough of this game being catered to these ping exploiting [TOS Violation]'s..

It's pretty sad when i Have to leave a JFK, ORD, SFO or DFW official server to join a REAL american server because the average ping in these american official servers can sometimes be well into the 250 range.
You can try argue its an american server all you want, but with average ping from 150-400 how is that american.

As far as the video in my mind atleast 1 of the first 2 shots hit the head, to argue that amount of deviation and inconsistency could happen legit in real life at that short a distance is just [mod edit - don't evade forum filters]
unless your shooting at Michael J Fox

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:00 am 

The way I understand cshd is that the client is authoritative. That means that whatever the client sees when shots are fired is counted assuming they pass the server checks which I think are mostly timestamp related to cover double kills and maybe some other things. It doesn't matter what your client sees as it is only concerned with your hits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion