Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Net-whatever
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:53 pm 

I believe 90% of complaints will go away if a "MaxServerPing" setting was given to admins. Set the global min value to 100-150 because anything lower is just bad for the game as a whole. You would see a lot of admins move theirs to 200-250-300 and stop complaining. If high pings are known to cause unwanted effects, (This is known by devs and players alike) I really think that this should be added if we aren't going to see some tests of other "net-whatever" implementations.

Steam --> ℑąƙ
Stats --> ℑąƙ

Quote:
Only because a mod asked nicely.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:57 pm 

dgodfather wrote:
9 times out of 10 (with an accurate shot) from one end of alley to the other you could drop an enemy from rather long distance. In AAPG that becomes 6 out of 10.

Once again... I'd really, really, really like to see video of this in action. It's completely at odds with my experience in this game.

Bullets not counting 40% of the time? I just don't buy it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:59 pm 

And I wish I could provide it. I don't have a HD video camera or it sitting behind me 24/7.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:29 pm 

BCPull wrote:
dgodfather wrote:
9 times out of 10 (with an accurate shot) from one end of alley to the other you could drop an enemy from rather long distance. In AAPG that becomes 6 out of 10.

Once again... I'd really, really, really like to see video of this in action. It's completely at odds with my experience in this game.

Bullets not counting 40% of the time? I just don't buy it.

Wont buy it because of what? Because you never experienced it? That would be a biased view about the problem.
dgodfather is 100% correct, the hit registration and the reliabilty of our actions were much more accurate with AA3.
And you know why? Because there was no lag compensation to spoof the natural flaws of a internet based first person shooter.
A UE based fps pretending to be a tactical shooter with lag compensation? I will never understand.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:39 pm 

Don Quixote wrote:
Wont buy it because of what? Because you never experienced it? That would be a biased view about the problem.
dgodfather is 100% correct, the hit registration and the reliabilty of our actions were much more accurate with AA3.
And you know why? Because there was no lag compensation to spoof the natural flaws of a internet based first person shooter.
A UE based fps pretending to be a tactical shooter with lag compensation? I will never understand.

I don't buy it because the videos that *have* been posted in the past revealed instances of bad aim and poor recoil control. Hit detection is client-side, so registry issues should be very rare. Where I've experienced problems is with players warping/skipping during rapid side-stepping in CQB fights. I don't see how the presence (or absence) of lag compensation would do anything about that issue.

More than a third of shots not counting? That sounds to me like a connectivity/packet loss problem, not a netcode problem.

Choosing how far to lead a target based on their ping is something I have zero interest in wrestling with.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:47 pm 

Is it your impression that there are very little problems with the netcode?

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 pm 

It's my impression that it's generally on par with most other games out there. My biggest issue is with high ping play and how it can be used to a player's advantage.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 pm 

BCPull wrote:
It's my impression that it's generally on par with most other games out there. My biggest issue is with high ping play and how it can be used to a player's advantage.

High ping? Having a ping of 50ms you know what is your real ping when you are playing under lag compensation? You know how many times your real ping is artificially increased in a random way because of the called compensation? I believe not or else your high ping concept would change drastically.
Other games out there? What you mean by others? BF4, CoD, CS, ARMA, Insurgency?
Or are you specifically referring some other online tactical shooter based on UE? If is the case I would like to know which one.
Even if some engines are able to deal a bit better with lag compensation than UE, the truth is every first person shooter with lag compensation has basically the same issues.
Only Valve is able deal in a propper way with lag compensation because the clients are allowed to adjust their network parameters, however this is not a surprise because the lag compensation architecture was created by Valve.
Knowing (I'm assuming you know the architecture concept) how lag compensation works I fail to see the reason why is desired for a online fps, where the actions and reactions are dealt in a few milliseconds.
It is a really nasty thing to see a piece of art as Unreal Networking is, being spoofed by the lag compensation.
Unless there is some reason for having it, there is? The game was tested without it? How the game behave without it? Better or worse than AA3?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:30 pm 
Developer
Developer

Don Quixote wrote:
Having a ping of 50ms you know what is your real ping when you are playing under lag compensation?

50ms.

Don Quixote wrote:
You know how many times your real ping is artificially increased in a random way because of the called compensation?

0 times, we don't modify your ping at all or anything that represents your ping.

Lag compensation IS NOT the throttling of a connection.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:18 pm 

[Dev]Grubber wrote:
Don Quixote wrote:
Having a ping of 50ms you know what is your real ping when you are playing under lag compensation?

50ms.

Don Quixote wrote:
You know how many times your real ping is artificially increased in a random way because of the called compensation?

0 times, we don't modify your ping at all or anything that represents your ping.

Lag compensation IS NOT the throttling of a connection.

I am sorry but I believe that we are not talking about the same thing.
Your perception about the timing of other players actions or movements is dramatically changed with the compensation attempt, when you look at your ping obviously is still 50, but your gameplay experience stops to be dependant from your ping. Your gameplay experience is dependant of the compensation mechanism and it can increase up to 4x the delay in game perception. This is dependable of the network conditions of the intervenients.
A player with 50 ms ping can easily have a game experience as if it was having a ping of 200 ms, the worst part is that all this is spoofed behind a mask called lag compensation making everything nice and smooth.
Obviously lag compensation does not throttle the network of the client, however it removes the reliability in game perception that your connection conditions may provide.

Now, honestly what is the motivation that I need to have to play a game where most of the things that I am able to see are actually happening in a different timing and I dont even know what timing is that because I cant see it? Faith?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » AA:PG General Discussion