Board index » America's Army - General » Intel

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: For the benefit of the new guys (Open Beta Edition)
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:00 am 

So I made this post in the closed beta forum and I feel that it would be good to put it here as well for the benefit of the new guys.

This is an Army game! Where's the uber realism!?
[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
The strictly realistic days are over and were never really here. This is not and has never been a simulator. We go as realistic as we can, but at the end of the day we are making a game, an Army game, but still a game.

Additional Weapons
[Dev]Rawrster wrote:
WarFox89 wrote:
any plan to add more weapons and pistols to the game in the future builds ?

Future builds, to me, implies sometime during this beta testing period. In that case, no. You have what you will have. Now, if we are talking about sometime down the road, then yes, we have plans. That being said, we have lots of plans for the future. We will see what shakes out when we get there :)

Are all of the current maps going to be available upon release?
[Dev]Doc wrote:
All of the maps you're playing are slated to be included in the release. That's not saying anything about the maps we're testing that you haven't yet seen. To answer your question more succinctly, there are other maps - some you may recognize, some you may not. None that I can think of are less than 12v12. They may or may not make first release, but if not they'll most likely come out soon after.

Where are the bigger maps?
[Dev]Tear wrote:
Bigger maps will come after we're confident that everything's working correctly in tight spaces.

If you think of a round of gameplay as just a big list of events that happen on a millisecond timeline, then it's a safe bet that if everything is working as planned in tight spaces, then spreading things out a bit will only affect how long you have to spectate if you get killed early. :)

Why are there so many training maps?
[Dev]Tear wrote:
As the backstory explains, Proving Grounds represents what soldiers might do to prepare for an actual combat deployment.

You and your team are solving tactical problems in an environment (JTC-Griffin) where you can plan and execute a strategies, learn from your mistakes, and live to fight again.

Other non-training maps
Will come eventually.
[Dev]Rawrster wrote:
severide wrote:
So is the focus only on "training maps" + Hospital for now? Meaning you'll then shift focus to non-training maps in the future? (maps similar to Weapons Cache, Insurgent Camp, HQ Raid, etc)?

I would say that sums up the current plan pretty well.

[Dev]Rawrster wrote:
As far as what fits the gameplay of AA:PG, it is not necessarily something I can sum up in a clean, concise sentence. It boils down to a lot of factors. Variations in Player size, movement speed, weapon behaviors, and gameplay mechanics can all factor in. We also have to look at what type of objective we put in to the map. You mention Urban Assualt as something that seems like a good fit, and I totally agree. It is on our list. You also mention Pipeline though, and while on the surface it seems like a good option there are some issues there. Pipeline is a very door dependent map. We currently don't have doors in maps, so the question we then have to ask is whether we want to rework parts of the map to better fit our current gameplay (with no doors) or hold off until we can better support that map. It is very unlikely that you will see Pipeline in the game before doors make it in.

I suppose a good way to express "what fits" is to give an example that doesn't really work out well. Collapsed Tunnel just doesn't work well with our current gameplay. Player size, player movement, weapon accuracy, and the lack of lean work together in a way that the map isn't very fun. Players ended up racing down stairs and engaging in some pretty awkward firefights. It wasn't very fun. Were there some ways we could have fixed this? Perhaps, but it would have required a pretty extensive modification to the entire sewer tunnel portion of the map. For starters, the tunnels would need to be much wider, with more cover added to both support anchoring and to just slow the gameplay down a bit. At this point we have to ask ourselves if it is worth making major modifications or if the end result will be a map that is barely identifiable to the original.

Doors
They should come eventually.

Don't know if this is a cryptic message, but
[Dev]Doc wrote:
If it's bothering everyone enough to warrant a look (I am LEANING toward solving other issues, several DOORS to search in the process)

VIP
Not in initial release, maybe in the future
[Dev]DeltaKilo wrote:
1. There will not be any VIP missions in the initial release, maybe future updates

AA2/AA3 maps
Some others will come eventually. Devs have confirmed that McKenna is on the list of remakes. Rumors of Urban Assault as well.
[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
McKenna is on the short list for future remakes.

Training
There is a tutorial level available now!
[Dev]Doc wrote:
The tutorial is a huge departure from what we've typically done before. It is, as you say, a "this is how you use the buttons" exercise, and in no way attempts to do anything army-training-exposure like previous versions did.

As you may be able to tell by my background, I really really really would've preferred to do AA1-2 style training, only bigger and better and more in-depth. I still hope to work on something like that in the future - but in the mean time, I apologize that the tutorial we have at this time was short and gameplay-focused, rather than challenging and army-exposure focused.

Why isn't my favorite feature in the game yet?
Because the devs are focusing on refining gameplay and squashing bugs before they add them. Once everything is solidified "The sky is the limit."
[Dev]Doc wrote:
anyone keeping score, we don't have VIP yet or Doors. These were not high enough in our priorities to get to them yet. That's not a promise that we will eventually get to them...but I hope it's becoming apparent that we are doing what we can, in the time that we have, to respond to your requests and alter the game such that everyone is happy.

On the subject of game development - I have been, as all devs have been, a gamer long before I was a developer. I've been on both sides of this fence. And I have to say that the biggest secret in game development is...it takes so much more than having the right idea. So - let's say hypothetically that the dev team universally thinks we should've had VIP with doors and RPG's and an intuitive fireteam organization and lean and EVERYTHING BLARGLEBLARGLE. That doesn't mean that we could have in the timeframe we've adopted. So - Hospital with VIP, doors, randomly locked routes, nurses, doctors, etc - sure. totally. But you wouldn't have gotten it -yet-. That's what goes on behind the curtain...lots of clearly-the-right-idea not being as feasible as just 'knowing' it is the right thing to do.

Why aren't there lots of bugs hot-patches?
[Dev]Doc wrote:
Right now is a particularly difficult time for quick turn-around fixes. We often have to freeze development for a while to make sure there isn't something crazy broken with a fix going out, and...since adding new things or changing core things often results in unintended game-breaking buggery...we have been freezing development while a build is made, then testing the crap out of it to try and reproduce the bugs we supposedly fixed, then evaluating whether or not the build should go out - there are often unfixed bugs or unfinished features/art/design - or we should wait another day for another build to test...

What I'm trying to say is that, since we're still doing principle development, it's been difficult to fix bugs quickly then test to make sure we've both fixed it and still have a mostly playable build. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks all for bearing with us as well as you all have. I'm hoping the next build goes a ways toward rewarding your faith and patience.

How does the damage model work?
[Dev]Doc wrote:
just to be clear about the body/head thing...the body is divided into head, torso, arms, pelvis, and legs. Bleeding/damage are apportioned differently to each - more organs (torso) means more instant damage, more large arteries (Legs) means more bleeding. So it's not AS detailed as before - we don't separate out the hand, for instance, from the arm - but it's more complex than Head and body.

It's not really explained anywhere in game and you don't have a 'paper doll' HUD element showing you that, so I wanted to point it out.

Where's the M203?
[Dev]DeltaKilo wrote:
there is no plan for the 203 at this point

I ran out of ammo, what do I do?
Run behind a teammate and press your action button (default E). This will give you a magazine of ammunition. Keep pressing E until you have your maximum amount of magazines.

How do I see my FPS?
Open console (~) and type 'stat fps' (w/o '')

I don't see many servers
Uncheck "Show Official Servers Only." This is ticked by default.

Do official servers only give honor?
No, all servers give honor. There is no difference between unofficial servers and official servers.

What's the difference between the standard and hardcore modes?

How do I disable start-up videos?
In your Steam Library, right click on America's Army Proving Grounds Beta and go to Properties. Next click Launch Options. Input the following: /SKIPINTROVIDEO
Press OK and then Close. Now you will no longer have start-up videos!

Last edited by Whiplash27 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: For the benefit of the new guys (Open Beta Edition)
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 am 

hopeless this missed1

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:28 am 

Behindmypc wrote:
hopeless this missed1

huh?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am 

Behindmypc wrote:
hopeless this missed1

lobster bisque

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am 

Well, Good Job again then :D

www.AmericasArmyLA.com

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:20 am 

Behindmypc wrote:
hopeless this missed1

Parle vous francais ?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:46 am 

[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
McKenna is on the short list for future remakes.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 am 

Whiplash27 wrote:

This is an Army game! Where's the uber realism!?
[Dev]CaterpillaR wrote:
The strictly realistic days are over and were never really here. This is not and has never been a simulator. We go as realistic as we can, but at the end of the day we are making a game, an Army game, but still a game.

Well the first release was solely advertised with the word "realism". Why go away from this model if AA1/2 was one of the most popular games on planet?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 am 

Leopardi wrote:
Well the first release was solely advertised with the word "realism". Why go away from this model if AA1/2 was one of the most popular games on planet?

Nice question, this game has become like Counter Strike or CoD with their arcade style, fast movements, fast reload, fast throwing.
The days of the original idea of AA are gone. Maybe people wants more this "modern" kind of games.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:33 am 

If you want more realism and old-school AA feel, play hardcore mode. I play it exclusively whenever there's a hardcore server available.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » Intel