Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Discussion: Competition Maps.
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 pm 

Competition map talk......

Last edited by -=}WoLvErInE{=- on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CompTest (BDX Competition Map) White Box
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:08 pm 

im not a comp player.. but im more than willing to help, even if just to be an extra target for comp guys to shoot at while testing :mrgreen:

i suppose it wont hurt to give my input anyways, you can always ignore me :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:29 pm 

I think a top-down image of the map would be helpful to begin the process.

My first piece of feedback would be to either get rid of, or modify the West alley straight to extraction as it's too gimmicky. Should the defense guy covering that alley go down, it forces a rotation there or you lose. If the rest of the defense is too far in then you automatically lose. It currently encourages defense to mostly camp extraction.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:02 pm 

I like the shopping mall idea. It'll be a good refreshing look.

I do however feel that objective placement is off. I agree with dragon that that west alley needs to go. But I also think that the objective should be in the SE corner rather than the SW. I say this because it appears to make a big chuck of the map irrelevant imo.

By spawning the assault squad in the NW and having extract in SE we can begin to develop routes that take advantage of the whole map and they could still have varying risk / reward.

More on this later. Just my initial thoughts

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:07 am 

Waiting to try this out.. we should get a min of 8 guys on TS and have a scrim. best way to test the layout..

"Lots of Z-axis combat" .. usually I'm not a fan of maps with levels but we'll see how this works out

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 am 

Triangles = stairs
Blocked areas = balconies
Blue = lower
Green = mid
Orange = upper

Wolverine, what in your map's design makes it well-suited for competition play in particular? (Serious question, I promise I'm not being snarky! I'm trying to get at what kind of play you want to emphasize, that sort of thing)

For me, a hallmark of good map design is knowing (or being able to infer, at very least) where you were shot from. Part of that is limits on number of angles you can be exposed to at once. Right now, I feel like the central alley fails on that count, but it's somewhat hard to say without knowing which team controls what.

I'll withhold further judgment until some of the other people have played it.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:58 pm 

(Beer_Me)AA:PG UMM`S COMMUNITY SERVER
server will be running all maps that are currently in the designers discusion , server psswd to change maps will be given out to admins/moderators

108.61.100.147:8777

you can "play"(test) the map here

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
im not a comp player.. but im more than willing to help, even if just to be an extra target for comp guys to shoot at while testing :mrgreen:

i suppose it wont hurt to give my input anyways, you can always ignore me :lol:

Man I did comp play many moons ago. It's still in me somewhat, but this generation is too good. Being older now, my reaction time is too slow to some of these young lads nowadays. When I started in comp, pc's were a new thing to gaming and most kids/teenagers didn't have them or couldn't afford them. So most of the crowd was bit older. I think the youngest guy in our clan at the time was like 24 years old.

I don't mine being a test dummy for the comp players now. :mrgreen:

And Thank you for the offer. :wink:

DragonEyez wrote:
I think a top-down image of the map would be helpful to begin the process.

My first piece of feedback would be to either get rid of, or modify the West alley straight to extraction as it's too gimmicky. Should the defense guy covering that alley go down, it forces a rotation there or you lose. If the rest of the defense is too far in then you automatically lose. It currently encourages defense to mostly camp extraction.

Well Thanks to BCPull he posted one with some details in it. Look at it this way....This is your map, basically all i've done is start something simple, and with you guys help it will be something goo/great.

I've put many different routes, but i'm sure there will be many subtraction and additions to this map.

with that said......

So you feel I should completely remove that alley way? Should I cut it off somewhere, turn it back into one of the stores?

Please let me know in detail and i'll make the changes...maybe use BCPull's image to be bit more detail, or I can post another screenshot of top view if you like?

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep them coming.

EKCommander wrote:
I like the shopping mall idea. It'll be a good refreshing look.

I do however feel that objective placement is off. I agree with dragon that that west alley needs to go. But I also think that the objective should be in the SE corner rather than the SW. I say this because it appears to make a big chuck of the map irrelevant imo.

By spawning the assault squad in the NW and having extract in SE we can begin to develop routes that take advantage of the whole map and they could still have varying risk / reward.

More on this later. Just my initial thoughts

Thanks for the feedback bud. Originally I had the obj in that area and extract in NW. If you look at the area I have closed down, that was the area I had it at....that was going to be an outside patio area with nightclub. But I changed it for some reason.

I'm hoping to get few tests in with you guys and to make all these changes.

So we're in agreement the alley goes. As I asked Dragon.....should I cut it off, or completely remove it? Should I open that SE corner completely? Make the shipping dock the extraction point, and move the obj to the area I was talking about?...around the tree?

If you guys are ok with that, I'll move them around.

Thanks and please keep'em coming. :mrgreen:

=IK=Doba= wrote:
Waiting to try this out.. we should get a min of 8 guys on TS and have a scrim. best way to test the layout..

"Lots of Z-axis combat" .. usually I'm not a fan of maps with levels but we'll see how this works out

Dobe, I'll try and set up few test events, so we can see where to go with this bad boy.

Keep an eye out for that. If you get something going, hot me up on steam. I want jump in and record.

Thanks.

BCPull wrote:

Triangles = stairs
Blocked areas = balconies
Blue = lower
Green = mid
Orange = upper

Wolverine, what in your map's design makes it well-suited for competition play in particular? (Serious question, I promise I'm not being snarky! I'm trying to get at what kind of play you want to emphasize, that sort of thing)

For me, a hallmark of good map design is knowing (or being able to infer, at very least) where you were shot from. Part of that is limits on number of angles you can be exposed to at once. Right now, I feel like the central alley fails on that count, but it's somewhat hard to say without knowing which team controls what.

I'll withhold further judgment until some of the other people have played it.

First let me say thank you for taking the time to put this together, I really appreciate it.

Now....to answer your question! At this "NOT MUCH." But with your help and other comp players, hopefully great comp map. something clean, bright, as little clutter as possible....and MOST importantly intense layout.

Like I said in my OP and Dragon's post....this is basic layout at the moment, pretty much added routes and few landmarks, now it time to add and subtract from there. Remember This was put together in about a week. and the reason its white box, it's because you guys will make this map.

" I'm pretty much the puppet in this one guys, You all are the puppeteers! "

So it's up to you and the rest which way to pull my strings. I have a theme in mind, and you guys will have the game-play. I've just giving you a starting point, where you take it from here, it's up to you.

And this is very important for anyone giving me feedback........
The only limitation here is, what the engine allows me too. Otherwise, I can pretty much make it. So it's ok to think outside the box.

Any changes you got , please get them to me and I'll make them. I'm looking forward to working with you and everyone else.

Once again thanks for all your hard-work so far. :wink:

(Beer_me)lobo wrote:
(Beer_Me)AA:PG UMM`S COMMUNITY SERVER
server will be running all maps that are currently in the designers discusion , server psswd to change maps will be given out to admins/moderators

108.61.100.147:8777

you can "play"(test) the map here

Thank you sir....Please add that to the steam page. if you can't let me know and i'll do it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys I appreciate all the feedback so far, hopefully we'll make such a great community map, the Dev's can't resist and have to make it official community map. :mrgreen:

Please keep the info coming, we're far finish line at the moment. ok enough blabbing for one day...lol :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:42 pm 
Developer
Developer

-=}WoLvErInE{=- wrote:
hopefully we'll make such a great community map, the Dev's can't resist and have to make it official community map. :mrgreen:

We are watching and listening.....☺️

Personally I think this is the future for great maps

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 am 

[Dev]Lawgiver wrote:
-=}WoLvErInE{=- wrote:
hopefully we'll make such a great community map, the Dev's can't resist and have to make it official community map. :mrgreen:

I think this is the future for great maps

i agree, the more brains on them.. the better they will become and will have a hell of a lot more chance to succeed.

@wolverine im in the exact same boat mate, im one of those 'has beens' too, last time i played any game competitively (in any sort of serious nature at least) was back when the first Halo was released on PC in 2003 :lol:

nowadays i just enjoy trying hard in pubs haha!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - General Discussion