Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: "AA4" Map Editor
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:04 pm 

Whatever you guys do with the new project, do one thing and I guarantee you will be more successful. Release a map editor from day 1. That simple. There's something to be said for letting hardcore fans of a game help in creating the maps other people can play on.

Also a way to play the maps on a non-honor bearing server would be great as well. I think you will be surprised at the amount of map developers will come out of the woodwork.

Food for thought.

Post subject: Re: "AA4" Map Editor
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:17 pm 
Developer
Developer

What are some key things you would want to see, hypothetically, in a Map Editor?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:23 pm 

Not only the ability to create just maps, but if you decided to use stuff like ES2, then the placement of those, and the location and amount of spawns.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

I think the biggest deal for the map editor is not the map editor itself. A solid process with minimal red-tape must be designed in order to allow quality user-made maps to make it into the game and server browser. AA 2.x had a map editor and several quality user-made maps but they never had a chance to become popular because they were never officially approved. The lesson learned here is the DEVs have better things to do. The task of user-made map approval should be passed off to an officially assigned community led group. This group may best be assembled as a sub-team of beta-testers led by an AACM.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:23 pm 

A big thing I would like is the ability to make maps with no knowledge of the engine. Like making a map in age of empires. Give us buildings, terrain painters, cave cutters, height painting, pre-made buildings/building parts. Sort of like a cross between Halo Forge and as I said before Age of Empires map editor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm 

An easy to use map editor would be nice.
Unreal Engine map editor is just stupidly hard to use, simply because they can.
Crysis (CryDev SDK) map editor was simple to use, but had advance enough features to do everything Unreal Engine Map Editor can/does.

Also any remember AA-Depot? It was a GREAT IDEA, but sadly it was never administrated correctly.
The same system could be used again but if actually used correctly would make map making in AA4 very exciting as there is a lot of talented people out there.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 am 

I think the idea of integrating map editor is to just keep many players interested, like workshop they have on Steam or map editor of ARMA. To players, it's like creating your own game and such varieties will broaden the horizon of this game.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:24 am 

Once this gets rolling, I was talking with people and thought that it would be a good idea to have the community vote for a popular community made map for the Devs to recreate or approve for in-game use.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:27 am 

+1 for using the Steam Workshop platform, totally slipped my mind.
Just use that for Map validation via community responses, a kind of self governing if you will.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:21 pm 

dgodfather wrote:
Once this gets rolling, I was talking with people and thought that it would be a good idea to have the community vote for a popular community made map for the Devs to recreate or approve for in-game use.

AA2 had some custom maps playable in honor.. I dont recall the names.. but the one was pretty good.

this can only be a positive thing, because community made maps that just dont cut it can easily be rejected.. while some may surprise everyone

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » America's Army - Mission Editor » Mission Editor - General Discussion