Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Format Discussion: 4v4 BDX, 5v5 FLO Maps
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:24 pm 

My team and I were discussing the viability of a competitive league with this format.

4v4 for bdx maps
5v5 for flo maps

We've heard many EU players speak up about chaos that is 5v5 on maps such as Crossfire and Siege. Also the interesting aspects 5v5 brings to larger maps such as Inner Hospital and Harbor Assault.

A league with this format would not only help bridge the gap between the competitive EU and NA scenes, but also insert variety into the strategic meta of the game.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Format Discussion: 4v4 BDX, 5v5 FLO Maps
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:21 pm 

I like it. It just makes sense

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:53 am 

So, Inner hospital = 5, everything else = 4? Not really a fan, I'd like to see consistency one way or the other rather than editing your roster week to week.

Twitch.tv
Youtube channel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:33 am 

Think he's talking about two different leagues? 4v4 League & 5v5 League?

If not, then I'm with Jee.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:49 am 

4v4 >>>> 5v5

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:54 am 

1xti3xdi wrote:
4v4 >>>> 5v5

Care to elaborate? Interesting to see EU like 4v4.

Twitch.tv
Youtube channel

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:00 am 

jeee wrote:
1xti3xdi wrote:
4v4 >>>> 5v5

Care to elaborate? Interesting to see EU like 4v4.

Well, in my opinion 5v5 mode doesn't fit in this game well. It brings too much chaos on smaller maps. In opposition to 4v4 it's much less tactical.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 am 

I like 4v4 too, mainly because of map size.. but I think it plays better overall, communication has to be quicker and more area of the map is open for flanks.... 5v5 favors Defense a lot more than it already is.

its also easier to field a 4 man team over 5 on any given night

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:26 am 

=IK=Doba= wrote:
its also easier to field a 4 man team over 5 on any given night

I think this is really the only benefit to having a 4v4 format in this game. As I stated in the other competition format thread, the way most of the maps are designed in this game, the 4v4 format seems to discourage teamwork and force more 1v1's on different sides of the map. The only two map exceptions in favor of 4v4 style of play are crossfire and breach (both of which need to be re-worked for competition imo).

I believe the 4v4 format leads to a more stagnant and stale game play as teams struggle to spread out so that each choke point is covered. Being able to rotate effectively and help your team by trading frags and being in different positions on many of the maps is vital to being successful. It also helps create a much more exciting brand of game play from a players and spectators perspective. That 5th player allows teams to be much more creative and fluid, even if that might make some of the maps a little one sided.

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to having two different leagues/ladders for 4v4 and 5v5 formats if the game grows accordingly. This worked in AA2 with 4v4 and 6v6 (albeit 4v4 was more popular). I just think with the current AAPG player base/number of teams, having two different formats might be shooting ourselves in the foot by spreading out the teams that want to focus on one of the formats only. We need all the activity and teams we can get competing.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:26 pm 

warpain wrote:

I think this is really the only benefit to having a 4v4 format in this game. As I stated in the other competition format thread, the way most of the maps are designed in this game, the 4v4 format seems to discourage teamwork and force more 1v1's on different sides of the map. The only two map exceptions in favor of 4v4 style of play are crossfire and breach (both of which need to be re-worked for competition imo).

I believe the 4v4 format leads to a more stagnant and stale game play as teams struggle to spread out so that each choke point is covered...That 5th player allows teams to be much more creative and fluid, even if that might make some of the maps a little one sided.

Having two ladders would simply further divide the community, much like the gap between EU and NA. The idea I was proposing is having both 5v5 and 4v4 matches within the same league/ladder.

As stated before, maps such as Crossfire and Siege have no place for 5v5. However, arguments for whether 4v4 or 5v5 is better on maps like Springstreet, Shadowstep, Intercept, Breach, and Watchdog can be made.

With all things, smooth transitions are key to success. That's why I suggested FLO maps such as Inner Hospital and Harbor Assault to be played as 5v5 and the rest as 4v4. In the future, if there is a demand to turn a said map into 5v5, then that can be approached on a case-by-case basis. Again, I agree that the majority of the maps we have cater to 4v4 gameplay, but some larger maps would really benefit from the 5v5 format.

SUMMARY:

-Within the same league/ladder, play all but inner hospital and harbor assault as 4v4, those two maps as 5v5.
-In the future, if people want it, a certain map can be made into 5v5.
-I'm not saying crossfire and siege should be 5v5, just the two largest maps we play competitively (wrote it again bc people were not getting my point).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion