Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Best format for competition ?
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:45 pm 

rokis wrote:
habor is playable at 4v4, slums is not playable at all. It just doesn't flow.
Redline is playable with 4v4 but it needs to be the c4 version

Says the guy thats never played a slums scrim. No one in this game can really say anything about either of the new maps and their ability to be playable in comp.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:52 pm 

we don't need to play it.. we're "that good" .. that we can say what works and what doesn't :P

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:53 pm 

=IK=Doba= wrote:
we don't need to play it.. we're "that good" .. that we can say what works and what doesn't :P

'Competitive players

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:54 pm 

clearly thats what I meant by "We're"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:05 pm 

=IK=Doba= wrote:
clearly thats what I meant by "We're"

Yea I know, I was just making a parallel. I doubted people would get it. Instead of 'Murica, I put 'Competitive players.

I doubted that it would work...

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:58 pm 

After playing a few pugs this past week in the 4v4 format, I believe the 5v5 is still the better option from a competition standpoint given the way "most" of the generally thought of competition maps are designed. I agree that the 4v4 format might re-balance some of the more traditionally defensive sided maps, but by doing that I think it also discourages team play. At a higher level (of any competitive shooter) there is a emphasis on trading frags and helping your team in any situation. I think because of the way that most maps and choke points are designed in AAPG (distance between choke points, positioning of choke points, or both), the 4v4 format forces more of a 1v1 style waiting game (like aa2 was). Adding that extra lurker, or rotator in result allows teams on both assault and defense to be more creative and fluid.

And I don't put much value in the point of 5v5 making some maps "too" defensive sided. I think having defensive sided maps in the game adds variety and just rewards the assaulting team for being more coordinated (See Pipeline in AA2, or Nuke/Train in CS:GO). I just think 4v4 is a less exciting format overall from both a player and spectator perspective. But it might be the better option at the moment simply from a player numbers perspective.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:05 pm 

warpain wrote:
(See Pipeline in AA2, or Nuke/Train in CS:GO)

Train just got extensively reworked and more is expected to be coming. Nuke is coming out of active-duty rotation after the last major (and the major CT-sidedness) and will be replaced with the revamped Train.

The same happened with Cobblestone. It was too CT-favored and was reworked for improved balance.

The CS examples don't fly any longer :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:13 pm 

BCPull wrote:
warpain wrote:
(See Pipeline in AA2, or Nuke/Train in CS:GO)

Train just got extensively reworked and more is expected to be coming. Nuke is coming out of active-duty rotation after the last major (and the major CT-sidedness) and will be replaced with the revamped Train.

The same happened with Cobblestone. It was too CT-favored and was reworked for improved balance.

Or maybe we can still use it as an example to show that map reworks should/can be done.

@warpain: Coming from someone who likes the 4v4 format. I think what you said has a lot of good points and shows the flaws of 4v4's that I have also noticed. 5v5 could also potentially make these new maps more playable since they are so large.

Twitch.tv
Youtube channel

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm 

BCPull wrote:

I'm just pointing out that maps that favor one side in particular (in any game) isn't the end of the world and in fact, can be quite popular. Even with the recent re-working of those CS examples, those were still maps that were played in CS competition for years and years. Now I think there is a line we have to draw when some maps become too lop sided, but that will have to be done on a case by case basis and hours of competition game play.

Also with the possible implementation of the vetoing system, having a variety of maps that play differently could add a different dynamic in the process.

Jeee wrote:
Or maybe we can still use it as an example to show that map reworks should/can be done.

I think re-working some of these maps is a great idea. If it is done professionally, adding another choke point or "new route" could make a world of difference. It would just have to be done right.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion