Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Best format for competition ?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 pm 

Hello,
from what I can see there is some discrepancies when it comes to format in competition and map list. I would like to here the different opinions about what is best. It would be nice to have some sort of consensus about the what is best for competition and that future comp. sites could just pick from.

Map list?
-Watchdog_DE
-SpringStreet_EX
-InnerHospital_EX
-Intercept_EX
-Siege_EX
-ShadowStep_EX
-Breach_EX
-Crossfire_DE

Personally I think that Crossfire should not be part of anything higher than 3v3 format. Same could go for Siege and Breach. But it is not like the map pool is huge, so I guess they will have to do?

Best of?
BO21 ?
BO16 ?
2x BO12 (two maps?)

Amount of players?
I understand that NA has 4v4 format, for a reason of having more teams. Is it really unrealistic that teams in NA can not line 5 guys up?
In EU we are playing 5v5, for a reason that I do not understand, because of the nature of the maps, I feel that more maps are suited for fewer players (siege, breach, crossfire, lockdown). And that in AA2 is was always 4v4, so why go up to 5 players.
I put questions marks here, because both formats are valid, but I can not really see which would be best.

/Philippovich

Post subject: Re: Best format for competition ?
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:44 pm 

I think Siege easily supports 4v4; I never minded it as a 5v5 either myself. Same for Breach, 4v4 plays fine (the excessive wallbang complaints apply regardless of player counts, IMO).

I'd like to see Watchdog_C4 over Watchdog_DE with bomb secure disabled; many disagree with me on that.

I'd certainly add HarborAssault_TH to your list for 5v5, I think it's fine for 4v4 as well. Engagement distances are longer here than in the others but not at all unreasonable. Lines are still reasonably well defined. The TH objective format plays well and the play-for-a-draw strategy is great added meta.

I agree that Crossfire should probably be a 3v3 map only.

I agree on all the other map choices too.

NA's done well with the 4v4 format, I think, for the reasons you mention. I miss the extra level of coordination required for 5v5, but don't really see either format as inherently better.

ColdFront_C4 won't play well IMO largely due to Y site design. ColdFront_EX would also likely be ridiculous with low player counts. Red Line's also never really been seen favorably by comp for reasons that have been discussed at length elsewhere. Slums also makes establishing any sense of area control tough due to poorly-defined lanes and chokes.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm 

Bomb secures have to be disabled on any DE map imo.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:50 pm 

*C4 ;)

(To be clear, I meant there's disagreement that Watchdog_C4 should get played instead of _DE. I think practically everyone in the comp scene agrees that C4 secure's bad.)

Nobody really does any C4 maps, though. We've got Watchdog_C4 in the 4v4 ladder rotation and that's it. I'm really sad that the mode hasn't received more love given its long history in so many other competition scenes.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 pm 

BCPull wrote:
*C4 ;)

(To be clear, I meant there's disagreement that Watchdog_C4 should get played instead of _DE. I think practically everyone in the comp scene agrees that C4 secure's bad.)

Nobody really does any C4 maps, though. We've got Watchdog_C4 in the 4v4 ladder rotation and that's it. I'm really sad that the mode hasn't received more love given its long history in so many other competition scenes.

Lol counter strike was running through my mind.

I think it hasn't had any love due to the opposing team bei beingg able to secure the bomb...which isn't doNE in any other game. If that feature could be disabled, I think the mode would get a ton of love.

P.s. my fingers do not agree with my new phone. Sorry for mistypes

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm 

bForbidBombSecure = true

I brought up switching to Watchdog_C4 back on TWL this summer and reactions were kinda lukewarm.

(Yeah, I've been playing more CSGO than AAPG since Operation Vanguard came out :P )

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:13 pm 

I like the C4 idea. It's refreshing compared to the boring flag return and arming the syfy looking bomb. Just disable enemy C4 secures and it's a great mode.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:55 pm 

cool thread.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 pm 

4v4 format > 5v5

I feel 5v5 changes the balance a lot. it can be pretty equal on a 4v4 but you put a 5th player and all of the sudden tables can shift either side too drastically.

Last edited by rokis on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 pm 

mikey.. wrote:
I like the C4 idea. It's refreshing compared to the boring flag return and arming the syfy looking bomb. Just disable enemy C4 secures and it's a great mode.

Some people seem to think its more tactical to be able to secure the bomb. Its something that should have never been added in the first place.

FLO Inner Hospital C4 Updated
Industry Updated
M24 Target Range Updated

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » Competition Discussion