Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: [REQUEST] America's Army 2.x source code as PD
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 am 
Volunteer Community Manager

It's worth keeping in mind the UDK is -not- the engine, Unreal Engine contains the UDK, but you can however get the UDK separately, but just having the UDK does not grant the Unreal Engine 3 source (which is licensed as bought).

I believe there were also other licensed things in the 2.x series as far as I recall which would also limit this ability.

The most they could prob ever do is extend some form of developer kit for modding, but as was said earlier, there would be a bit of a comfort issue in letting people more or less just mod without control.

AmericasArmy IRC | #aa-support (Support) | #americasarmy (General Chat)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:41 am 

If they don't want to sing game with their names, they do not have to. "America's" could stay cause it is a continent name, other items releated to U.S.A coud be removed, especialy "Official U.S. Army Game"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:40 am 

And that was the point. Because Epic (for now) will NEVER open source their Engines.
And that's why AA2.x.x Engine will NEVER exists as open source. But if we talking about modding the game. It's not gonna work either.
Removing everything related to U.S. Army is not gonna change anything.
Because they gonna be the one who release tools to mod that game. Everything that gonna happen with that game even after they remove things related to U.S. Army, its still all gonna go to U.S. Army account.
No one, NO ONE gonna care the Army removed things or not. Everyone gonna ask one question, why Army property was use to make game where you kill US soldiers or anything other controversial.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:55 am 

@Terel: we are talking about releasing AAO which is made by peoples hired by US Army mannaged by US Government, not about releasing tools that are property of Epic INC. UEnegein is part of the game binaries, but it isn't part of game sources. The other point is that Army have other probems that are much more serious than unconsistent questions.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:26 am 

Jesus Christ... I give up. Maybe someone gonna find the language to explain you that.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 am 

dfxrvfpu wrote:
@Terel: we are talking about releasing AAO which is made by peoples hired by US Army mannaged by US Government, not about releasing tools that are property of Epic INC. UEnegein is part of the game binaries, but it isn't part of game sources. The other point is that Army have other probems that are much more serious than unconsistent questions.

So far as I can possibly understand what you're asking for (and I admit there's a possibility I'm misunderstanding), what you want specifically isn't entirely possible for a variety of reasons, one of which, perhaps the more important one past license legality, one of the AACM's already told ya.

AmericasArmy IRC | #aa-support (Support) | #americasarmy (General Chat)

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:51 am 
Developer
Developer

I'm uncomfortable with all this talk about forking...

But seriously, we appreciate your interests but the AA source won't be released as open source because of our agreements with Epic Games. They own the intellectual property to their game engine and we just license it.

AA2 is created using the base Unreal Engine 2 but the source code is intermingled and there is no viable way to separate the two.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for but Hopefully some good news is the new release of AA Proving Grounds provides modes of play where we bring back some of the old game characteristics and favorite maps. Come give it a try and check out a Hard Core map. You can download it free on Steam at

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203290/

Look for me out there

Law

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am 

You might want to re look at that. Once the contract was made and paid using Tax payer money the propertty is the US peoples. Once Abandoned can be requested by the people at no cost to the people. Now I know it can be a legal mess, but why would you want to turn it into that. It wouldn't be good for anyone that has no real stake in it. Good excuse but not good enough.

All the community is doing is asking for source code to a game that is not being supoorted officially or even updated. Also the engine being used is an old version that now has an opne source version. This was the only linux version available. You all pulled it on the 3 and 4. Yet Epic still makes games that run on linux. I would like the official channels of contact to start the process.

I am open to them contacting me also. With the source we could move this over to the open engine if need be. Also the reason why AAO 2 survives is 3 and 4 are non realistic and people only play them because they couldn't go back. If you want input you need to be looking to the community. You have killed the Army's franchise and tunred it into something like Gears of War. Nice game but just not realistic to the player.

Just FYI:

Works of the United States Government and various other governments are excluded from copyright law and may therefore be considered to be in the public domain in their respective countries.[26] In the United States, when copyrighted material is enacted into the law, it enters the public domain. Thus, e.g., the building codes, when enacted, are in the public domain

Arguing the engine is licensed then you definatley don't understand the situation. If it's the license which the army paid for using the Tax payers money, then it's licensed to the people and in respect to that should be released as PD. I would like to get both in the same room and talk about this. The community would like the AAO source code to carry on the game. We can drop the name, it will still be free to the public, and we can even change the engine to teh open source version if need be.

Last edited by SSGT.Truesdale on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 pm 

@SSGT.Truesdale: If you get it, it would be plesure for me to help you.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:02 am 

How about bringing back AAO to live by comunity, but udner one or two responsible developpers on army contract?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics