Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: [REQUEST] America's Army 2.x source code as PD
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:12 am 

Dear Developers.
I would be grateful if you will release 2.x line of America's Army as PUBLIC DOMAIN.
I am afraid that if you do not do this what I am asking, the game will be forgotten. I hope that anyone wants it, and I can see only one solution. Precisely two solutions, but only one in my opinion have sense: If you make it public domain, it will survive forever, being forked, cloned, and ported over the years.
Previously mentioned bad second solution is allow some people to fork the game and develop it in their own way.
I hope you consider what I'm saying and make good decision.
HOOAH

Post subject: Re: [REQUEST] America's Army 2.x source code as PD
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:06 am 

Never gonna happen. Installation packs scatter over the internet it's max what we gonna get. For many reasons.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:45 am 

Its not possible due to legal stuff. AA25.org guys should get the source code if anyone ever would get it

"But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust." - Jesus

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:31 am 

@deadmau5: could you give me those "legal stuff"

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:33 am 
AACM
AACM

I doubt this will ever happen as I can't see a point where the Army will allow something with their name out of their control.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:41 am 

Quote:
17 USC § 105 - Subject matter of copyright: United States Government works
Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of the United States Government, but the United States Government is not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise.

@GBGangsta: That's why I'm writting about forking it.

BTW, Who is responsible for managing AA 2.x ?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 am 
AACM
AACM

17 USC § 105 applies to Government works but probably not to Military and Military subcontracts.

Anyway I don't intend on going down a legal rabbit hole on this issue as I cannot speak from any real experience or true understanding.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 am 

@GBGangsta: Do you know anyone on this forum or in government, army, etc... who can give answer to my request or be addressee of the official petition?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:19 am 

Ehh you can even send petition to President Obama and they still not gonna release it as Open Source.
First, they need to ask Epic. Epic allow developers to release mod tools but not source engine. When Unreal Engine gonna be open source, Epic gonna be the one who gonna release it. 15 years past since they release UE1 and it still not in open source. So don't count they gonna make exception for UE2.

Quote:
Can I release a UDK game as open source?
The rights to develop and release a game for free are contained in the end-user license agreement (EULA). The EULA is also the license that governs the release of your game as it’s built on UDK. You can’t release your UDK project under terms other than the UDK EULA (like GPL, LGPL, open source, etc.). You don’t have the right to encumber the UDK with terms that we have not already granted to you.

They never wanted this game to had mod community for a reason and that reason is the second thing.

If they made this game as open source and someone use it to build/mod something controversial. No one gonna care that this is only game and someone could made that on different engine. Everyone in US gonna focus on fact that someone use U.S Army Americas Army Open Source game to do something controversial.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:05 am 

@Terel: I'd studied UDK EULA, and it is about UDK licensing, and there is nothing about licensing product released under it. Other fact is that we don't talking about "licensing" right now, but about copyrights. UDK if free to use for non comperial use (2. License Grant. "This license is being provided to You free of charge."), so it will be possble to publish AA 2.x as Public Domain, and fork it by somebody under suitable license.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics