Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: AA2 still playable?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 am 

Is aa2 still playable? Where do i download it if it is?

I dare ya!

Post subject: Re: AA2 still playable?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:37 am 

http://aao25.com

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:33 am 

2.5 is still playable with the third party browser via aao25. always room for improvement (they have mods too!)

2.8.5 is still playable, but you have to dial in IPs - but no browser functionality. you can find open servers from http://chevys-place.nl/ but they are far and few between compared to 2.5, but a little more current.

so, yes, AA2 is still alive. players are still picking up the pieces.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:13 am 

Wow. Awesome. I thought it was dead. I'm still playing aa3(which is fun) but nothing compares to aa2. I can see the nostalgia rolling on in lol. Thanks for the info.

I dare ya!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:02 pm 

One more question if you can humor me. You said they have mods for it too. What kind of mods and where do i find those? Is it all on that same link or?? Also (i guess two more questions) you have to unzip the files and stuff which i'm not really familar with doing....is there any program i need to unzip the files? The tutorial video was not very clear on that.

Thanks in advance.

I dare ya!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:27 pm 

they are server-side mods. nothing really to download.

if there's zips, use winzip or 7-zip (recommended) to unzip. basically (on 7-zip), you right-click and find 7-zip > Extract to... and a dialog will let you create a folder. it just uncompresses the files and isn't complicated beyond that. you just use the installer.

aao25 basically is just a client that will auto-update everything, so there shouldn't be missing files.

any questions to aao25 should really be directed to their forums, not here.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:32 pm 

I appreciate the information. How is AAo25 legal? I read countless threads saying the army was not willing to release rights to the game or something along those lines. I'm not one to pirate things or anything..just not in my belief system. If you could shed some light on that would be appreciated if not though i understand. Just want to make sure whatever i download is legit.

I dare ya!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:25 am 

it's legit.

AFAIK.

EDIT: the aao25 guys wouldn't be advertising on here if it weren't. I'm guessing they get special permission.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:13 am 

I just signed on, there's like 1 server with people in it. If you don't feel like playing the map that has people going in it then you're out of luck. I'm not sure if it's any better at different times of the day.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:30 am 

AAO25/Assist isn't pirating anything. We never stole anything, it's not illegal.

Honestly though, it is a grey area. We don't have explicit permissions from anyone, no contracts were signed. There's more of a good faith thing going. We're keeping something alive that they made, it's a win-win situation. I feel like as long as the game remains largely unchanged, with the core system intact, there shouldn't be any problem with it. While we have changed/added/removed some things, the weapons, the training, the tactics, the core reasons why the game was built, are still in place. I think what the project has done in the several years it's been running is acceptable and agreeable. We don't have any rights, we're just doing something out of the love of the game. If they really want to, they can have lawyers send a cease and desist, then AA2 will die for good. We're not out to make enemies, just have fun and let others have fun.

With all that said, there's not a lot of US players that play. It's more of a Euro scene. It fluctuates as the different times of the year come and go. I'd encourage you to stick around and watch at different times. There's a fair amount that play. I'd love to see more players join but personally, I'm at a loss for ideas on how to do that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA2 - All Topics