Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - New Players

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A (long) guide to Bridge
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:08 am 

I shall contribute to this guide...
I almost always play as machinegunner, mostly on Classic and sometimes on Activated Obj. Never on Carried Obj.

Bridge Classic - Assault:
  • M249, box, heavy loadout.
  • first thing I do, yell at grenadier to smoke enemy road
  • second thing I do, pray that our SDM isn't scared of open areas and will support from pillars instead of tower
  • after enemy road hopefully gets smoked I climb on top of Assault van and spam fire to Defense van, and generally on their road. this prevents any enemy rambos from advancing even though I rarely get any kills at this stage. plus if they were behind the van they'll retreat, guaranteed.
  • after first box was emptied the smoke also wears off so it's not as safe anymore. so I rejoin the team who should be at middle by now.
  • tactical gameplay from then on.

Bridge Classic - Defense:
  • M249, softbag, medium loadout.
  • I camp in the alley for almost the entire round.
  • if anybody gets hit I rush to medic them, except when they're at middle, or catwalks, or other stupid place to be in.
  • in the last minute especially if my team is still alive I rush'n gun, starting with a cooked grenade down the road.
  • chaotic gameplay from then on.

Bridge Activated Objective:
  • M249, box, light loadout.
  • rush'n gun.
  • get Obj if possible, stay put and defend it if I find a DMR.

public foe list (looking for more, help me fill it up): GreenEyes, EllisDee

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:18 am 

Haha nice additions Fingergrass. The guide doesn't speak of Activated Objective, which has a very different gameplay, but I'll definitely add everything else.

I'm at work now, but when I come back I'll split the Rifleman and Automatic Rifleman roles, and add your recommendations there along with my own thoughts after trying them out myself tonight.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:21 am 

HerrKaputt wrote:
I'm at work now, but when I come back I'll split the Rifleman and Automatic Rifleman roles, and add your recommendations there along with my own thoughts after trying them out myself tonight.

Don't expect instant success though, you need to develop a gut feeling especially for the van "tactic". Good luck. :mrgreen:

public foe list (looking for more, help me fill it up): GreenEyes, EllisDee

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 am 

Fingergrass wrote:
HerrKaputt wrote:

Don't expect instant success though, you need to develop a gut feeling especially for the van "tactic". Good luck. :mrgreen:

Yeah I'll take that into account. I have tried to use suppressive fire (a.k.a. spam :)) from a prone position in the North Bridge itself but never found it very effective. Maybe the van is a better position, but it's suicide unless someone smokes the center area or South Bridge.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Developer
Developer

Nice Bridge guide. Very well written.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:27 am 

So I gave Fingergrass's advice a try and...

It's not really applicable in the servers I was in, because when I asked the grenadiers on my team "smoke the enemy bridge" the replies were as follows:

- "I can't throw that far"
- "There are smoke grenades for launcher?"

On the one round where someone actually smoked it, I did spam their bridge and it seems effective to prevent Defense from rushing. But it was just one round, so it's hard to tell.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:39 pm 

HerrKaputt wrote:
So I gave Fingergrass's advice a try and...

It's not really applicable in the servers I was in, because when I asked the grenadiers on my team "smoke the enemy bridge" the replies were as follows:

- "I can't throw that far"
- "There are smoke grenades for launcher?"

On the one round where someone actually smoked it, I did spam their bridge and it seems effective to prevent Defense from rushing. But it was just one round, so it's hard to tell.

If they said "There are smoke grenades for launcher?" they must not have passed the Grenadier AIT

lol @ "I can't throw that far"

Defence (by rights) should not be rushing.

Using Smoke is imperative for the assault team to move forward, otherwise you may as well stick a big sign on your head saying "feel free to shoot me" also watch out for the enemy SDM when advancing down the right side of bridge on the catwalk, I've been shot/incapacitated almost everytime I try going that way, they have a habit of getting you from the stairs, grrrrrr!

If the enemy is within range, so are you!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 pm 

The right cat is visible from the stairs, but the left one is visible from the patio.

To summarize, crossing the South Bridge against a defending team is a [TOS Violation] :)

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm 

Bozy wrote:

Smoke is always a cover for BOTH directions/sides... so rushing on deff and throwing nades is always a good idea mainly if there is smoke :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:16 pm 

]z!o[N]cya[ wrote:
Bozy wrote:

Smoke is always a cover for BOTH directions/sides... so rushing on deff and throwing nades is always a good idea mainly if there is smoke :mrgreen:

True, but by doing that it can hinder your SDM (and fellow squad members) from identifying targets before they let off their smokes. Too much smoke from both sides can lead to a full frontal assault and they always tend to end in tears, especially when half of your defensive team has rushed leaving only a meagre few behind to try and stop the onslaught. Bridge is the most tactical of AA3 maps for sure, without teamwork you may as well accept defeat, but with it... you can have some great tactical battles.

Story time - I remember running out of Smoke grenades at centre tower once, being the only man left on the assault team and hearing bullets ricocheting off the concrete above me, I had no where to go... a sitting duck. Then I hear sounds coming up the ladder and neutralize the NME take his gun, which coincidently had the 4x scope and fought back well, I got to the opposite side wounded and bleeding out then got shot from behind by someone hiding behind a wall on the right hand side of the town... GUTTED, yes. But that in itself highlights the need for Smoke grenades, use them wisely :lol: or you may find yourself literally a target for practice.

If the enemy is within range, so are you!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - New Players