Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AA4 "Proving Grounds"??
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:37 am 

DeadZombie wrote:
RollingInTheHurt wrote:
Vintage players will remember AAv1.0 came out with only MILES support.
Could this be a reflection in AA4 going back to its oldschool roots?
Spin the wheel where it stops no body knows! :mrgreen:

I remember that..was actually pretty neat..at first I was like "[TOS Violation] is this beeping crap?"

lol.. I remember that crap they had at the end of the guns.. hopefully we dont see that in this next version

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:24 pm 
Developer
Developer

There will be no "MILES" in AA: Proving Grounds

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm 

[Dev]DeltaKilo wrote:

aww, the beeping nades was cool

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:49 pm 

[Dev]DeltaKilo wrote:

laser tag must be put in place, then.

or paintballs.

so, you could actually SEE where you made your hits.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 am 
Fireworks Fanatic

a cod and bf clan member already testing PG, mhhh. / -=312th=-

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 pm 

White.Meat wrote:
I believe the name was decided upon to be a bold name for a struggling game (AA3) and it shows that AA4 will be the savior of America's Army. Hence the name, Proving Grounds. To prove that America's Army is NOT dead and will prevail.

You obviously haven't see the beta, you might think otherwise :P

Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:34 pm 

Will AA4 "Proving Grounds" be like AA2 "Special Forces?" IE, will it be an extensive game feature addition to AA3? I like AA3 just fine (minus the bugs and issues) and I would be disappointed if it was all abandoned. I like the maps, weapons and gameplay. I believe it's better than AA2, it just needs fine tuning. If "proving grounds" is that, I'll be happy. :)

I've tinkered with indie game development myself, so I know that the way games are made now is a little different than it was when AA2 had its heyday. Comparatively it takes a lot more man hours of work to make something that is "up to date," and make it polished. Look at the difference in maps and features added to AA3 in the past couple years, compared to the same time-frame in AA1/2. Making modern content is a far more painstaking process than what it took for equivalent content in say, AA2. If you don't got a big studio it takes awhile, trust me.
People expect more than they used to because of the multi-million dollar industry gaming has become, and the extreme level of polish put out by massive complexes full of programmers and artists. They can crank out a call of duty game every year with more features and polish than AA has ever had.

Once upon a time people made games because they said "this is a great idea." Now major companies crank out games because "this makes money" and the inspiration is lost. Whatever it's flaws, AA is still based on a great idea, not a big market. That puts it head and shoulders above the money machine that is CoD in my book. Plus It's free, so whatever AA's problems I'll enjoy it as long as the devs are kind enough to make it for me and other players are waiting in line to gun me down. Hooah! :)

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:32 am 

mk-Durandalski wrote:
Will AA4 "Proving Grounds" be like AA2 "Special Forces?" IE, will it be an extensive game feature addition to AA3? I like AA3 just fine (minus the bugs and issues) and I would be disappointed if it was all abandoned. I like the maps, weapons and gameplay. I believe it's better than AA2, it just needs fine tuning. If "proving grounds" is that, I'll be happy. :)

I've tinkered with indie game development myself, so I know that the way games are made now is a little different than it was when AA2 had its heyday. Comparatively it takes a lot more man hours of work to make something that is "up to date," and make it polished. Look at the difference in maps and features added to AA3 in the past couple years, compared to the same time-frame in AA1/2. Making modern content is a far more painstaking process than what it took for equivalent content in say, AA2. If you don't got a big studio it takes awhile, trust me.
People expect more than they used to because of the multi-million dollar industry gaming has become, and the extreme level of polish put out by massive complexes full of programmers and artists. They can crank out a call of duty game every year with more features and polish than AA has ever had.

Once upon a time people made games because they said "this is a great idea." Now major companies crank out games because "this makes money" and the inspiration is lost. Whatever it's flaws, AA is still based on a great idea, not a big market. That puts it head and shoulders above the money machine that is CoD in my book. Plus It's free, so whatever AA's problems I'll enjoy it as long as the devs are kind enough to make it for me and other players are waiting in line to gun me down. Hooah! :)

That is a great attitude towards the whole AA series. Yes it's free and all, however, I still wish we had ALL of the maps from AA2.

I look at it this way. AA2 was more like a polished AA1. It was expanded upon from the beginning. Then came AA2: SF and it was like an expansion pack to the already huge assortment of maps and guns and training. It was really a lot of fun.

The gameplay of AA3 was still like the gameplay of AA2 back in the day, but with added stuff like the incaps and the new medic menus, which I did not care for. But what I really disliked about AA3 was the fact that it was not an expansion of AA2. It was a whole new game with new maps - and not many I might add. The only map that resembled a classic map was Pipeline. I don't feel like they got Bridge right at all. That said, after playing AA3 and now AA25 Assist, I have to say I do like the Pipeline in AA3 more, but the gameplay was awful.

In it's heyday, AA2 was never the best looking game out there. Heck, I remember buying Doom 3 when that came out and still played AA2 after playing that game. AA has never been about the graphics. The best looking thing in the game was always the gun. The rest was kind of ...meh.... AA has always been about the gameplay. When I got on a good server where there was teamwork, that was the most fun I've had gaming.

While I can't go into any details about the AA:PG beta, I will say that I still prefer playing AA25 Assist.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:20 am 

ajgebhardtaa3 wrote:
While I can't go into any details about the AA:PG beta, I will say that I still prefer playing AA25 Assist.

Although it doesn't violate NDA, they will find you and kill you. :lol: Now seriously, why do you consider AA25 Assist your type of game?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 am 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion