Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: What happened??
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:55 am 

I just downloaded AA3...and what happened? The original America's Army was better! I'm so disappointed. Where did all the maps go? I used to love SF Hospital...

I played AA a lot when I was in high school. My buddies and I would get on Roger Wilco and tear it up on Bridge and Pipeline and Mountain Pass

Now years later I'm out of the college dorms and have a beasty computer that will run this game (and any game on ultra). I was looking forward to it but after playing AA3 I am very disappointed. I see the talk of AA4 and I wonder....why bother?

Here's the thing - when AA was released back in the day it was a top of the line game. Graphics were good, gameplay was ahead of it's time - very tactical. It continued to improve with the SF maps and kits. It was an excellent game. So where did it go?

I realize this game is free, but it looks like 10 steps backwards now. I got battlefield 3 sitting here and it looks like if I want FPS I'll play that instead. Back when AA came out, that was the time of Battlefield 1942 which had terrible graphics so it could support it's 64 player maps.

I wish I could remember my old user name for AA but it looks like all those stats were erased long ago. There's only a few servers that have enough people in them to actually play a game...

I could go on and on. I'm sure you've all experienced the same thing. But I mean, come on...the game is nearly ruined. The snow melted at Pipeline...Bridge, my favorite map ever, is totally different when it was perfect from day one....Weapons Cache just doesn't exist...as with a lot of other maps. Now you secure enemies? How about just killing them....Why does the wheel no longer turn at the objectives in Pipeline? The graphics were better 6 years ago...It's so difficult to control my character now, I just want it to work smoothly and not have that combat slide whenever I want to crouch. Soooo many things are just plain messed up.

I was thinking about joining the Army, but after playing this I think I'll join the Marines :lol:

Post subject: Re: What happened??
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 am 

Quote:
Re: What happened??

change happened.

some people dont like change. you could say AA changed dramatically from what it once was. that change sadly alienated a lot of fans. typically when a winning formula is found any change to that product is discreet, for example call of duty's samey.. samey, re-branded, add a perk bullcrap formula works because they don't stray too far from the formula that makes them successful.

its all about change, you see. it must have been a mighty brave decision but maybe they felt AA needed to change to stay up to date with other first person shooters, it seems maybe they went too far and completely changed the game, to its detriment.

personally i dont think AA3 is a bad game, yeah its buggy and has the smell of an unfinished product, but its intention is clear enough to me.. its just not what a veteran player of AA2 would have been expecting.

should be worth noting that the developers who work on AA3 and the new version do not solely have this project on their hands, if i am to understand correctly they work on many US Army related software applications.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:56 am 

Graphics are still good (for a game starting to show its age)

I like the new healing system a lot better. It makes you have to actually think a little in the heat of the moment

Why do people compare this to Battlefield? Battlefield is a TOS Violation and is no better than Call of Duty

Nobody is forcing you to secure anyone. I know plenty of people who are 100 Honor E-9s and don't secure anyone. I'll take a ROE violation any day to donkey punch someone with a nade after I drop them.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 pm 

Well I guess I'll keep trying to re-learn this game. Yeah, change happened, but did it change for the better? I don't think so.

Yeah, I like the new medic style too even though I have no idea what I'm doing lol. Not like it needs to be quick or anything.

It just feels like half the game it used to be. There should still be the same old maps in it. If they want to change up Bridge and Pipeline, fine, but leave the old ones in the game!

At least it looks as if we will be getting SF Hospital back at some point. But I'd be willing to bet that the budget cut is going to affect when that will happen

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:40 pm 

If I wanted to play a medical sim....I would go back to school for nursing.

If I wanted to quickly heal a team mate and get outta dodge I'd use aa2 medics.

Visit our website - http://www.teamfod.com
Ingame tag - {FOD}V@POR
Steam id - nwo_vapor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:39 pm 

ajgebhardtaa3 wrote:
I just downloaded AA3...and what happened?..........I was thinking about joining the Army, but after playing this I think I'll join the Marines :lol:

trollolol

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Where did all the maps go? I used to love SF Hospital...

at the very start, it wasn't an upgrade. they were making a different game, new maps. I guess no one liked things being different, even if it was based on AA2. so, one should never actually expect it to be a new AA2, it's just AA3.

same thing with RO2. at the very start, just doing the offline campaigns, it was a lot like the feel of RO, and even some of the maps would be recognizable, if only just under a different skin and name. basically, they were doing something different. in some ways, better.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 pm 

Oh ok. See I didn't know it was meant to be a brand new game. You know, they always just updated and added things to AA and AA2. I've been out of the loop so long that I have no idea how to play this game anymore. It's starting to get fun again, but it's still not the same.

n11.eXceL wrote:
ajgebhardtaa3 wrote:
I just downloaded AA3...and what happened?..........I was thinking about joining the Army, but after playing this I think I'll join the Marines :lol:

trollolol

LOL I'm not a troll. I was a huge AA fan. First thing I did with my new computer was get AA3....

...It's a huge buzzkill when you got all those great memories of AA from back in the day

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion