Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: AA4 on Steam
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 am 

I use Steam and have had no problems that I can think of. I certainly never have gotten any trojans from Steam.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 am 

chakka_of_zulu wrote:
Have you read their conditions?
And what is so great about getting a Trojan installed becouse you want to play AA?

I want to play this game but i have considered a few days to install steam or not before i did.
Last time i played AA there was this great deploy client and i had never ever problems with it.

trojans? on Steam? who's talking about trojans?

Deploy client was made through the same people who made AA2. the fact that AA3 is on steam, is because they're different system, and that Steam not only acts as a digital distribution client, it also handles and tracks data through the game, which means people get achievement and scores saved through it, rather than having to code an entire authentication system independently like they did the first time.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 am 

Steam is a pain, its intrusive and annoying, and i really would like for all those kind of services to go extinct and disappear.
But, its not likely to happen, and it works mostly without issues, so its one of those "things" i just have to accept while grinding my teeth. (like taxes and speed limits)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 am 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 am 

Have to agree with with Bratwurste (not common for me). ;)

Deploy Client was fine for launching the game but was horrible for game distribution. They never could get the system to work reliably for bit downloads from multiple sources and many sources were unreliable. The entire system depended on mirrored hosts from clans and game server providers. There was only 1 server hosted by Pragmatic.

Also would like to correct the statement that claimed it was made by the same people who made AA2. That is not true. The Deploy Client for AA2 and AA3 was Developed and managed by Pramatic Solutions who was contracted to build it and the Authentication system for AA2 (3rd provider for AA2) and AA3 prior to moving over to steam.

I do not understand the fuss about Steam, it is a great system that provides highly reliable service and extremely fast downloads. It is the best system for keeping all client versions synced. They have a huge infrastructure that would far exceed any game distribution budget.

Yes Steam collects a few system stats, those stats are provided to game developers so they have a basis to use when building games to help make sure they are building something the average gamer can play and exceed requirements. Other than that, the Trojan statement is false. Also, you can always stop Steam and only run it when playing the game.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:34 pm 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:13 am 

yapple wrote:
Yes Steam collects a few system stats, those stats are provided to game developers so they have a basis to use when building games to help make sure they are building something the average gamer can play and exceed requirements. Other than that, the Trojan statement is false. Also, you can always stop Steam and only run it when playing the game.

This i meant with the Trojan comment, do you know for sure that they are only looking for your Sys-specs?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 am 

chakka_of_zulu wrote:
yapple wrote:

This i meant with the Trojan comment, do you know for sure that they are only looking for your Sys-specs?

you sign a certain agreement, which is pretty standard for software these days.

it is NOT a virus, and since it reaches a lot of people, I do not think that with the money Valve makes is going to have to risk doing something scandalous as leaking a virus, or having to do something so invasive to their customers' computers.

IIRC, that's still an opt-in thing.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:37 am 

I dont´t want to complain that much but:

A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is a non-self-replicating type of malware which appears to perform a desirable function but instead facilitates unauthorized access to the user's computer system. Trojans do not attempt to inject themselves into other files like a computer virus. Trojan horses may steal information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_hor ... mputing%29

Why don´t ask if they can get the information or not?
But i get your Points.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 am 

It's simple.You either AGREE or NOT AGREE:

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion