Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AA4, a possible key to success?
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm 

Jumping works in AA2. Vaulting only works in AA3. You want this. We want that. I don't see how any particular point is better than the other.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:58 pm 
Fireworks Fanatic

dgodfather wrote:
Jumping works in AA2. Vaulting only works in AA3. You want this. We want that. I don't see how any particular point is better than the other.

I think both the vault of 3x AND jump should be in the game, im not for the removal of it.

Its not about what i want against what many others want, im not the only one who asks of this and theres many more pro jump than the anti jumpers would like to admit
I would say the number of people are split fairly evenly, theres no harm in a trial of something that already exists.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:13 pm 

We should not forget what is the most important...

The most important is NOT how it looks...the most important IS how it performs and plays. Smooth game flow, fluidity, character movement, when press a certain key/command/buttons it responds just like that..snap...game play, no glitches, no bugs, no cheaters, no hackers...When you press "lean" it does, when you run and press C it crouches. We don't need to make it super realistic in terms of graphics/looks like in Matrix movie.

The environment and buildings and rooms can be boards, just like in basic trainings, I don't care. As long as I can walk, run, hide, manipulate objects, utilize walls, small/big covers, I am ok with how buildings, hills, trees, cars, look. AA2 environment world graphics was more than enough for me.

The point of the game is teamwork, eliminate enemy, defend/assault, stay safe, survive, hear/listen, assist your teammate, don't get shot, hurt, burned, blown up = survive gun fight, teamwork, and complete mission. These things should be performed and played well as a computer FPS game.

The environment graphics or looks, bells n whistles should be a second or third priority. That's the one that distracted developers from the important and made AA3 sluggish and clunky.

These people said it very clear:

Komalt wrote:
I think the general feel of the game felt real. Every command was instantly obliged and it felt very crisp and as if you were in control. If you pressed C you would crouch instantly. Just for comparison to prove my point, if you press C in AA3 while running you get that annoying slide, and you lose control of your character for a second. Its gimmicks like that that weren't in AA2 that made the gameplay controls feel like you were completely in control.

Another thing was the clarity in the engine. I don't know if its just me but I feel like it wasn't as hard to see an enemy at a longer distance in AA2. The graphics were not amazing in terms of looks, but they were amazing in providing a clear visual to enhance your ability to recognize an object at a distance. I think its much more important to have a graphics engine with clarity so the player can perform, rather than an engine that looks more like real life. Because, an engine that may look realistic, when put on a computer screen it doesn't provide the same feeling and the ability to distinguish objects clearly. This is something that you can do easily in real life, under good conditions, and should be a high priority in the development of a military shooter game.

-victory. wrote:
...I know the new motions are more 'realistic', but it feels like you are fighting your avatar with every motion. Removing jumping was not necessary, any halfway decent player can kill a bunny-hopper...just as long as the hopper can't shoot and jump simultaneously.

The 'clarity' also applies to weapon dynamics...the little bit of mouse lag in AA3 (at 50fps) adds to the detached feeling.

AA3 feels like it was shaped by people that want to play pretend soldier with a KB and mouse, not by competitive gamers who enjoy a bit of realism. It feels clunky and clumsy relative to AA1/2. IMHO, content ruined AA. AA4 should aspire to AA1.8-2.3 gameplay dynamics with better graphics and netcode...The best and most popular matches were played on the simple maps (MOUT, IC, Tunnel, etc) with the simple weapons (M16, M4, M249 w/ irons).

I also posted more details on these things here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5615&start=990

Last edited by AALover on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:23 pm 

AALover wrote:
The environment graphics or looks, bells n whistles should be a second or third priority. That's the one that distracted developers from the important and made AA3 sluggish and clunky.

That isn't at all why AA3 was sluggish and clunky. The Devs were forced to design a demanding game in timeline in which they couldn't completely provide a solid and polished game. On top of that, the people with the most knowledge about the core design of the game and how it was coded were canned. The guys working on it since then are still struggling to pick up the pieces.

If the next version of AA is also put into this same scenario you can expect similar results. Lets hope that if the game comes out as rubbish like AA3 did, at least keep the same Devs who developed the core around to make it right.

You bunch of fools!
Add me on Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197991738203/

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:31 pm 

Bratwurste wrote:
Agree. Should be something like this..

He-he Yeah...No..

Was that a sarcasm, joke or were you serious? Because if you were serious...then you completely missed the point. AA2.8 graphics was enough. Read between the lines, please. Of course, not like that.

My point was that we should stop being obsessed with how it looks. First, let's focus and spend all that energy on how the game performs. We'll put wedding dress and make up after. It doesn't mean we have to completely ignore the graphics. That's why I used the word "priority." But game performance, playability, etc. are first priority.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:27 pm 

It's very simple. Make AA4 like AA2 and make sure that the game has a heavy emphasis on competition play but is also fun in public play (like AA2 was). Competitive play is what keeps FPS games alive. It's what kept AA2 going for so long as well. I know the army likes to be secretive with the game for some reason, but it would be smart of them to bring in competitive players to give input on how the game plays.

I haven't found any FPS games since AA2 that have drawn me in anywhere near what AA2 did. I hope AA4 can recapture that magic. I'm sure many AA2 vets feel the same and would be dying to come back.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:19 pm 

AA2 was successful, for whatever reason you might think or believe. It is a fact. AA3 came and destroyed it. Truth hurts.

I understand that it was and is a recruiting tool, but the recruiting tool failed when AA3 came along. How many people joined army because of AA2? What is really in minds of the Army people?

Another thing to consider is Simulation. Simulations do not have super realistic environment, or only the parts that are important are realistic. Who cares about trees/rocks/grass far away you can't even go there unless you do mpcheat ghost. The goal of a simulation is to complete a given task or mission. There are such simulations at police academies, medical schools, aviation, space exploration, etc. There are simulations where they train people for all sorts of purposes and professions. But realistic super cool graphics would be great and won't hurt. I welcome it. But if we are having hard time making the game playable, then what gives to care about graphics at this point?

Since AA2 is abandoned, I stopped playing it. Then AA2 fans have been working on bringing it back. Thus AA2.5 Assist thing appeared. I don't play it much because of small number of players. And I don't trust it. I don't know what they are tweaking, changing, adding...

I've been looking for a game that would replace AA2, even though I hate to replace it. So I am still in the process of finding a great realistic/tactical FPS game and resembles AA2. Actually I've found some and playing them. And there are many of them being developed. I don't know if it's ok to post the names of those games here. Since I am only a client, I don't want to promote them here. You can search them on YT. In someways, AA2 helped me to improve my paintball skills, like making quicker decisions, etc. Sometimes I used AA2 skills, and it worked. So when I couldn't do paintball, I played AA2! AA2 was excellent and fun at the same time.

So in a sense, I kind of closed the door on AA for now, but I didn't lock it :) in case AA4 knocks and delivers me a great game play.

From forum posts we can see how difficult it is to describe how AA2 was great. How AA3 sucks. And hard to express all that in one simple sentence. We have to write thousands of sentences to describe or tell the ways to success, etc.

Personally, I would ask the community what to do before making AA3 or I would keep updating the AA2 and keep improving performance, graphics, sounds, eliminate/reduce cheaters/hackers/glitches/bugs. And export it to keep up with new technologies. But it's too late, so let's look forward to AA4.

All these and other posts have points of keys to success.

Please make AA4 right. Thanks.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:51 am 
Fireworks Fanatic

someone should stop for looking back into AA2. tired of this. yeah AA2 was great, but every timeframe get a famous game or not, so what. i think players have too many games btw, the market is flooded with shooter. AA isn't a CoD or BF, it's AA. So what we can expect for AA4? a closer look to the released media, and you'll see a lot of changes. form you your opinion, if there something to play or view ;).

remember the Community here, now we can talk with the Dev team, and the Dev Team talk with us. they listen very well. so stay tuned and take a bratwurst ;). lol

Post Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 am 

have to agree with you Cookie. I loved plenty of games, and yet it would be more precise to say i have fond memories of the me of that time playing with those games. I dont now if any of you have heard about the Baldurs Gate project: they revamped a total hit of the 90's, IMO the best RPG ever made, and botched it, because we are 20 years after that and that game was meant for that period of time and the machines and the people that were playing in the 90's. Now it's just... nonsense.

Let's twist our heads 180 and lets look onward. The past is past and wont come back.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion