Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: AA4, a possible key to success?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:41 am 

After I heard about development of new AA title I thought I'd drop my 2 cents on the topic and hopefully start some discussion.
First of all I'd like to admit I played AA2 for few years (like most of you) but I haven't been into AA3 because of many changes concerning gameplay, mechanics and general feel to the game.

Now, let's look how successfull both games were:

AA2 with many years of development, strong competitive scene during those years (and even international championships that had been organised).

And on the other hand we have AA3 which lost it's playerbase very quickly.
(Don't get me wrong, it's also a good game but imho it should have gone into different direction).

Now, let's try to look why AA2 was so successfull.

Was because of:

-F2P?
Great content for no price, so that's a big yes. Also I suppose it won't be changing for AA4 so no need to discuss that one.

-Turn based gameplay (respawn after completing objective)?

Now this is a tough one. The most popular FPS game is turned based (CS) but most of the FPS games recently have immidiate respawns. Anyways, it's a big part of spirit of AA so I, personally, wouldn't change that.

Most important one imho:

-unique composition of arcade and realistic mechanics in gameplay.

Simple as that it made AA2 A game like no other™ (8-)). It emphasized tactics, teamwork and 1v1 skills at the same time, what gave a very deep, both casual and competitive, experience which was also very interesting to watch as spectator or from recorded games.

That's why I think AA4 shouldn't go into full realism when it comes to gameplay mechanics but should try to imitate the style of AA2 to gain playerbase. There are too many popular games that are fully arcade or fully realistic to try to compete with them.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: AA4, a possible key to success?
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 am 

disagree, AA4 needs to be completely new, a total re-invention of AA for today standard of games. bring along a couple of familiar maps for sure, but focus more on new ones. have it feel like a knock off of COD if you must or battlefield to ensure its success! above all cram it with features, more weapons, maps and variety!

actually what am i saying?! please, please.. i hope they remake AA2 with the graphics of AA3, please devs make it the exact same gameplay wise to keep the exact same feel as AA2 had.

then after its release lets see if it would be as successful as AA2 once was, i think i know what would happen but i really, really want to see it happen. like i said once before somewhere, AA2 was only good for its time, to re-release the same game now with only a rehash of its graphics would be a big mistake, i [TOS Violation] you not. yeah, maybe it would bring back a couple hundred hardcore, AA2 fans, but them guys will find fault with everything that is not actually 'THE' AA2, then its back to square one, a dead game.

ps i dont hate AA2 even if it looks like i might. AA2 was good at the time.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:20 am 

uni-sol wrote:

actually what am i saying?! please, please.. i hope they remake AA2 with the graphics of AA3, please devs make it the exact same gameplay wise to keep the exact same feel as AA2 had.

Hmm, I didn't mean that it should be exactly the same as AA2 just it should mix realism and arcade like AA2 did. Wrong expressions used ;)

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:40 pm 

I have not played AA or AA2, so I can't compare, but I am a big FPS gamer and have played Crossfire, Battlefield P4F, Ghost Recon Online, Arctic Combat, Blacklight Retribution, and many other F2P shooters.

I consider AA3 the best of all the games I have played, and would even place it over Battlefield and Call of Duty mostly because of the teamwork based gameplay. I hope AA4 continues to take this style of gameplay and improves upon it, I really do not want to see another CoD or BF because, in terms of gameplay, they are so unrealistic. I love having to depend on my team to win the game, and not on my own skills.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:17 pm 

I can agree with the previous posts, however like the previous AA games there needs to be a fair amount of realism. That's the whole idea of AA is it not? To recreate what it is like for soldiers currently serving in the US Army.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 am 
Developer
Developer

Naw man, we ain't copyin' NOBODY!

More seriously though, I'm (just one small piece of the dev team so don't take this as gospel but I'm) trying my best to figure out the purest expression of the player-AA interaction. That primarily means - as it should imo - mixing realism with playability (truth be told, I'm not a fan of 'realism' games where 'realism' just means 'hard to figure out how to do what I need to' or 'excessively limited'), and emphasizing teamwork, tactics, tools, and 1v1 skill in that order and in ways that other competitive FPS's don't.

From where we are right now until where I project we'll be when you get your hands on it, I'm confident - if I'm reading the community's concerns right.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm 

i disliked the fact that squads and squad leaders were substantially demolished. Roles must mean something.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:02 pm 

Maffa wrote:
i disliked the fact that squads and squad leaders were substantially demolished. Roles must mean something.

They can be useful as long as the other members in the squad are willing to listen to the leader, i.e. teamplay (following squad leader/listening to orders). It would be nice to have a special scope or other attachments for leaders, but unnecessary for teamwork.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 pm 

In my own personal point of view, teamwork is the key difference between AA and CoDx's. We dont count frags, there's no free for all deathmatch mode.

This feature must be hardcoded in the game. Really deep.
This is certainly a bad idea, but it should be something like if you get too far from your squad leader or your objective, you get penalized or jailed. Again this is a bad idea on so many levels, but AA2 had a better team structure (or so i recall) and i liked it. Id like it back.

This is a F2P game, no revenue is expected: only army values must be preserved. Moreover, the more defined and peculiar your features are, the better you will distinguish yourself in the vast FPS noise. You create your own audience with a peculiar game, one that heavily relies on teamwork, or else.

People are stubborn, they may lose because crappy playstyle and blame the game the teammates the people in their house distracting them their hardware other people latence and ultimately hackers crakers and cheaters. You cannot simply say "if they dont work for the team they will lose" or "if you stick to your mates you win a <No I in team> badge". No one has any use for those badges! they will lose and keep losing and keep being bad players and will not understand what teamwork is until they ultimately lose interest. You must hardcode teamwork inside the game. If you cannot play with your team you cannot play at all (not win: you cannot play)

If teamplay has to be a key feature in the game, it must be an unavoidable issue for all the players. That's not just a rush for your favourite weapon, is the understanding of your role inside a greater group.

Or at least as id like it to be ;)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm 
Developer
Developer

I agree with what you're saying about teamwork. Speaking from experience, there are times in the real world where we operate slow, careful, and tactical (like many believe all realism mil-sim games should be), and times where we operate with violence of action, fast and decisive (many call this 'arcadey run and gun'). However, the teamwork is always there, always at the core of how we go about the business of accomplishing the mission. Whether you're fast or slow depends on METT-T; basically, it depends on what the enemy, obstacles, and resources allow you.

So whichever side of the gameplay fence you're on - bet on teamwork being the focus of the next version. Referencing what I have above, if we do our jobs right, gameplay will be slow and careful or fast and decisive depending on the mission and how your team chooses to address enemy maneuvers - both will often be viable. That is, IF we do our jobs right.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion