Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: AA2 SF HOSPITAL IN CRYENGINE 3 PROJECT
 Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:25 am 

Hey Boom that's not bad at all..Keep the passion up matey,Design a heap of environs increase your skills and skill sets,learn various tools and you will land a job one day in the industry..good job matey...

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:08 am 

maybe it would also help to get some sort of formal education within that industry too, employers like qualifications more than they like a portfolio, i mean learning by yourself from research and trial and error is all good and well.. but here in england for example if i went for a job looking to be a game developer, the stuff i had learned myself would mean literally nothing, that alone would not land me a job.. i would need a proof of my skills namely degrees and qualifications from a university or college.

imagine you could become a professional game tester (get paid) just because you have experience of playing a multitude of video games since childhood? yeah it wouldnt happen..

worth a thought. but if your doing it as a pastime, simply for the love and satifaction of doing something you like to do, then enjoy and i cant wait to see the end result! :)

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:27 am 

uni-sol wrote:
maybe it would also help to get some sort of formal education within that industry too, employers like qualifications more than they like a portfolio, i mean learning by yourself from research and trial and error is all good and well.. but here in england for example if i went for a job looking to be a game developer, the stuff i had learned myself would mean literally nothing, that alone would not land me a job.. i would need a proof of my skills namely degrees and qualifications from a university or college.

imagine you could become a professional game tester (get paid) just because you have experience of playing a multitude of video games since childhood? yeah it wouldnt happen..

worth a thought. but if your doing it as a pastime, simply for the love and satifaction of doing something you like to do, then enjoy and i cant wait to see the end result! :)

I see the opposite where I am. I work in the software development industry, all I care about is the portfolio. I've hired people who didn't even go to college because they have an excellent portfolio and demonstrated practical use of the technology in the interview. Plus, I know so many people who went to college and came out knowing nothing. No way I'd hire them and their credentials over someone with a solid portfolio.

Let me clear that i'm not arguing that formal education is bad. Just emphasizing that formal education is only the bare foundation and if you come out of it without a strong portfolio then you've wasted your time.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:33 am 
Developer
Developer

Along the lines of what 12ampage said, I was going to say that it depends on which company/studio you're looking at. There are plenty of places that will hire solely on the basis of what your portfolio and/or design test say about you, and couldn't care less about formal qualifications. In this industry, experience on shipped titles is generally supreme - that doesn't mean jack at a place like Valve, however, and there are several other studios that veer more creative than corporate that work that way.

Also depends on the discipline, I suppose. A level design or Art position at a small-ish studio is usually all about impressing the guys who already work there, where programming relies more heavily on formal qualification to get a chance at a test - the test, however, is all core ability when administered correctly.

If I had any advice for anyone wanting to make videogames, it would be this: Figure out what types of games you like, and what you like about them - broadly, Art, Design, or Code. I suppose part of "what you like about them" should be "what you like doing", and you should experiment with each to see what you'd want to do all day. Then do that...a lot. If you like competitive FPS, do a ton of competitive FPS levels. That kind of thing.

Of course, formal education doesn't hurt. Especially in building a foundation of knowledge to start from - but it's what you do with that foundational knowledge, the extra work you put in outside of the formal education, that will get you a job.

Last edited by [Dev]Doc on Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:27 am 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:28 pm 

Bratwurste wrote:
Ps.thanks god that the qualifications are still needed or we may find a blacksmith when we go to see doctor.

Betcha the blacksmith is cheaper.....!

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:02 pm 

Bratwurste wrote:
3. Companies that hire employees only because they have some experience, not caring about their qualifications or educational level. Usually these companies hire these employees because want to have cheap manpower to perform qualified work. Often, these companies have low standards.

too true!

in england its a real struggle to find a good paid job, no matter what career path, especially without qualifications.. unless of course you would want to sweep floors and clean toilets that only pays enough to feed your dog. a portfolio of your hard work here would mean absolutely nothing without the backup of solid education, thats a fact.. especially in something as lucrative as the gaming industry.

perhaps in america or other countries its easier to find work even if you have no formal qualifications.. but how would i know? maybe you can just learn everything for yourself, pull out your photos and personal experiences and go get that job that pays the same as someone with a bunch of masters degrees. although i am sure your colleagues would appreciate the fact you walked into the job and they grafted for years in an institute for it!

but i guess the down side is that they hire a monkey and what you think they would they pay you? .. yeah, peanuts :lol:

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 pm 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:58 am 

If I was going to be a producer of an important game company but not only, I was going to apply the "can you do it?" method. I mean testing the abilities of the one who's applying for the job position.
I don't care if you have a portfolio, or if you graduated with excellence in the design university.
You want my money? Than show me, what you can do.

http://vimeo.com/71001957

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » America's Army: Legacy Versions » AA3 - General Discussion