Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

After reading this post, Will you use the IRC server?
Yes, If I need any help 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Yes, It could be nice to find some match mates for pick up games 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Yes, It might be the easiest to find me a new clan 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
No, im good with the forums 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 19

Post subject: Re: Americas Army IRC Server
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 pm 

Never liked IRC (in general)

I have used : ts3, ventrilo, mumble etc....and it's all worked great. Plus no typing. VOIP is so much easier than relay chat, but that's just my personal opinion.

Visit our website - http://www.teamfod.com
Ingame tag - {FOD}V@POR
Steam id - nwo_vapor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:40 pm 

USA_TomeR wrote:
Lilith wrote:
true, and VoIP would even be the same as IRC. topics are pipelined per channel, so you'd get missed messages (unless someone knows how to PM in IRC), or someone gets in on the wrong topic so some people wouldn't have a clue as to who or what is in the discussion. how long does the log have to be for someone who has to look back on several days of activity? if there's a lot of activity, it takes time. if not, then someone's just been sitting on it without a response. that's not good.

Let me say a word about it...
As you might know ,IRC Scripting is pretty much simple scripting.
A script that loggs users questions, and pops-up a query window, or system tray alert of the questions (using key words as "help" or sentences as "I need help with....") helps the moderator control the channel, even when there is a lot of activity.
I started to work on something like that in aspiration that every IRC moderators will have it, and they'll get pop up message when someone claims for help.
To be honest, i currently don't have the time to do so.
Moreover, as said before in the thread - the IRC is not full of activity, which is aother cause not to put too many effort in the IRC Scripting.
Truly, I think its like the "chicken or the egg" problem ::
The IRC is not very active, so peoplיe won't come in frequently...
People doesn't come in,the channel isn't active.... And you can see where im going with it ...
Bottom line -
The IRC is just ANOTHER tool (as the forums) for us to communicate with the AA community, and if you ask me - a better tool...
As you said - a post on the forums can stay there for days maybe weeks. I don't see myself ( and i havn't seen poeple who were) posting "who wants to play 4 v 4 honor server ??..." in the forums, you know? I won't wait for people to say "Ohh yes lets do it ...But we need 6 more,, hmm,,, lets try to make it happen 'till friday noon.....blablabla"
and the IRC is the perfect place for such things !

Well, i guess that was liitle more than 1 word, but ... You get the point.. :)

perhaps I frequent the forums more often, but I believe I have seen such posts.

that also includes scrims with the Devs.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm 

IRC would be more used if the devs / mods start some events there, like question-days, dev scrim organization, tips how to do something and of course there should be more irc volunteers for client/server questions, talking about the game/army. I mean a start is always difficult, but there have to be a reason for people why to join the IRC.

The presence of important people who are involved with the game would really help. The IRC Server needs to be supported more. I already started to support and keep helping people who are joining the server because of questions about the game. Would like to see more people who stay there for just chatting.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:01 pm 

each form of communication has its place...
i prefer voip. to say: hey the links right there.
and irc is where the links go. instant messages public and private.

someone once told me irc offers comms between 1 to 1 or 1 to 100 (or something like that wouldnt want to misquote him, he put it a lot more eloquent)and i laughed very hard and said you are exactly right.

forums are where the links point to. why?
because its easier than cut and paste ...

believe it or not there are people who have played america's army for years and never posted here.

you see it every day from first time posters.why?
there busy playing...

this thread is meant to be an informative sticky and open invitation to join live support not a debate on whats the best.or not "gravedig a topic" as lilith put it...
i recently unlocked the topic after a network outage in late 2012.
@ raymd thats one of the reasons why i unlocked it.
to get more input from the countless numbers who have passed through...
keep up the good work in support its not going unnoticed.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 am 

lol....no offense but irc seems like dead technology to me. Informative or not....

Visit our website - http://www.teamfod.com
Ingame tag - {FOD}V@POR
Steam id - nwo_vapor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:53 am 

FODVAPOR wrote:
lol....no offense but irc seems like dead technology to me. Informative or not....

agreed, but i have a feeling it holds a place in people hearts, those who have administered and used it, which is why it continues. once it was a thriving service no doubt, now its just a few idlers. i have heard of people sitting waiting on there to get help but there was no answer.. probably because its been that dead for so long nobody who is supposed to be helping even expects a person to go there.

its really something not needed anymore with the forums. i mean, having more options to get simple help only helps to create more confusion, which dont help at all, but each to their own.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 am 

Last edited by 2K20GB4 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:13 am 

Without a client included with the game and/or a little marketing for it on the forum index and/or page headers it will remain dead.

If a client was added to the game and was very visible and easy to use and forum page headers added to market it for not only support but also for other uses then you might see it come back to life.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:56 am 

yapple wrote:
Without a client included with the game and/or a little marketing for it on the forum index and/or page headers it will remain dead.

If a client was added to the game and was very visible and easy to use and forum page headers added to market it for not only support but also for other uses then you might see it come back to life.

Well, this is what they did in AA2 , i have no idea why they wouldn't put it in AA3 ...
Interesting . . .

IDF Site

Post Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:41 pm 

"America's Army IRC network - The AAIRC network is the place to go for live chat with other community members. Here you can also "talk" with our support staff (get live support), schedule matches or scrims, and is a great place for new players to learn the ins and outs of playing America's Army . "

Man, I played AA before 2.0 all the way up to 3.0. IRC was really big back in the 2.x era, however with the transition of most games to steam, origin or what not, IRC is rather a thing of the past in my opinion. As a competitive gamer, I feel the easiest way to find scrims depends on how the game is run. For instance, Call of Duty Black Ops 2 uses Steam which has the ability to create groups and invite members (even if they are not your friends), and from there, people are able to post for scrims, pugs, drafts, and what not. In the Battlefield community, for the most part, I have been able to find scrims off of a website called gamersportal.com as well as cevo.com, where they have their own little chat room per game.

I think IRC is a great program for support, even today, however in terms of finding scrims, it depends if the game is going to be launched on steam, origin, or what i assume most people are hoping is a standalone (where no extra program like steam or origin are required to open the game and run the game), like in the initial version of Americas Army.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R