Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Input/Advice Needed
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:04 am 

So i'm looking for a new monitor to buy,i was set on 27 - 28 inch 144HZ and Gsync as base features i want to have and suddenly an online store in my country offers this screen for around 400 US dollars all included with free shipping.Anyone owns one of these and can give me some input ,is it worth it or not?To be honest i don't trust sponsored reviews as they seem biased.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.HB0AA.A01

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

First i wanted to go with the monitor coming out next month that i made a topic about but saw the pricing which is more than 900 US dollars here and realized i don't really need that.

Image Image

Post subject: Re: Input/Advice Needed
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:47 pm 

1 ms response time is the way to go. Plus if you are heavy into gaming, (like you are), 144hz is a lot easier on the eyes. Going from just 60Hz to 75Hz is a big noticeable difference.

I've owned Acer and Asus monitors and have had excellent experience with them. Not one problem.

I have a 24", and depending on how close you are to the screen beware of neck injuries with a larger size at the same viewing distance.

As long as the contrast ratio is good for you then go for it. Note that different Manufactures calibrate different contrast ratios (so I've heard) so even a low contrast compared to a high one may be the same across manufacturers.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:36 pm 

i read every topic i could on the web about this model,90% of the people were satisfied the rest were ASUS swift fanboys or IPS screen tech snobs so i went with it,got it today and have to say its pretty F amazing.Gsync keeps the fps at the monitors refresh limit so 144 but damn this is so smooth,fluent a whole different world compared to my 4 year old 60 hz.This was the single gpu route if you don't have the cash for another 980gtx + 1440p and no regrets so far.

Image Image

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 pm 

<---- jealous

I'd love to get a 144Hz monitor but don't have the system to support it. I'm holding off on upgrading just a while longer, maybe wait for the next round of Intel CPUs and DDR4 to come into its own...

How's color reproduction? I've heard that's usually the tradeoff with the high refresh rate technologies.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:46 pm 

it's an 8 bit screen just as the ROG Swift,no professional site did a reviev on this model so all i could do is depend on user forums,found a guy who calibrated it with a professional measuring tool and the colors are 90-95% close to an IPS screen.Personally i find them perfect.The base color settings offered in the OSD are really bright so you have to make a user profile with custom settings to your liking.If you have the chance to get one of these under the list price like i did for 400 bucks and don't mind playing still on 1080p don't hesitate you won't regret it.Acer is breaking in to the gaming market with the best colors on their screens in the gaming segment among the TF panels and it's true.

Image Image

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:55 pm 

Good deal Demon, but don't you just hate all the research you need to do just to buy something for a computer?? :P

BTW: I saw this anamorphic 1:86 screen at Micro Center over the weekend. This think is friggin long! Talk about whiplash lawsuits gaming with that!

http://www.lg.com/us/images/computer-pr ... 34uc97.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:02 pm 

research? yes since every store in my country went the web shop root and nobody has anything in their stores to look at or test in person,all you can do is watch youtube and read forums about the products that come close to your preference or depend on rumor based advices from friends who own something.

New tech has it's high pricetag,but it's insane if you think about it for a moment what power components you need to fuel these big screens with high resolutions and run games smooth on them.Who in their right mind would buy 980 titan or titans to play on 4k -5k screens right now with 60 -85 fps?

Image Image

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm 

Dem@n wrote:
Who in their right mind would buy 980 titan or titans to play on 4k -5k screens right now with 60 -85 fps?

them enthusiast types :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 pm 

That acer screen has the same panel as the asus ROG, its one of the best TN panels around, its a screen that does well even outside of gaming.

Im still wating for something else than TN(im one of those IPS snobs :mrgreen: )
Acer XB270HU, not totally what im looking for, to big and with G-sync.
Not to expensive tho, but a bit on the "meaty" side, $800.
If im going to spend that kind of money, it better be exactly what i want.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:06 pm 

Not sure of the effect of "Gsync" but otherwise very comparable to my Asus 27" monitor which was quite popular last year for being gaming monitor of the year beating out competitor Benq.

I have no issues.. solid monitor !

http://www.amazon.com/VG278HE-27-Inch-S ... B00906HM6K

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R