Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why do new CPU's come with integrated graphics?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:38 pm 

I am looking at CPU's, Intel and AMD, and don't understand the reason for having a 6-core processor but 4 of the cores of are for integrated graphics. If you are not going to use integrated graphics for optimum gaming and purchase a separate Graphics card, nVidia or Raedon, then are those cores wasted weight and heat?

Low end PC's have motherboards with integrated graphic chipsets but you have to disable that feature when installing a high end graphics card for gaming. Do you disable the cores dedicated on the CPU for graphics too or do they get used to pump up your Graphics card?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

(It's much easier to understand integrated sound on motherboards since they all support 5.1 or 7.1 surround when you used to have to add a SoundBlaster card in the past).

Post subject: Re: Why do new CPU's come with integrated graphics?
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:48 pm 

I don't know for sure.. but they most likely do it to save costs, if you integrate everything into 1 chip.. you don't have to make 2 separate.

It's more for the number and word crunchers of the world I assume.. those who don't need SLi Nvidia Titans, working in an office typing spreadsheets :lol:

It's sad how PC stores 'sell' you that integrated graphics crap like its top of the range, they make it sound really cool.. then you get it home and have to tweak ini to get 60 fps, that's if the games even run :( that's the biggest problem with PC gaming and uneducated people.. I actually fell for it myself when I first started out!.. many moons ago :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:39 pm 

Its a long time sins the integrated video solutions was moved from the motherboard to the cpu, and no, theres no cores dedicated to the video part, you can use all cpu power to push frames to your discrete video card.

Outside of gaming, the onboard video solution is plenty enough.
The fastes ones can actualy run lighter games at acceptable performance, with low(ish) settings.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:47 pm 

End user cost reduction for office and internet browsing type of pc's,they are actually moving towards power consumption reduction ,going green is "hip" and "in"now.Same happens with the car industry,everyone makes small engines with turbo chargers on them.

Look at it this way,if your GFX card malfunctions you have a backup till the new arrives.

Image Image

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:05 pm 

So, if I get a dedicated Graphics card does that mean I have to disable the integrated graphics in the CPU from the BIOS... something like in the past when you had to disable integrated graphics on your motherboard if it had it to install a graphics card??

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:09 pm 

It should be a automatic process, but as always when it comes to computers, YMMV.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R