Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions on a new build.
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:06 am 

uni-sol wrote:
im not sure you even need to overclock with that beast.. when i take the plunge i wont be taking any risks, no matter what or who says things like "but..but you can get 5GhZ on that bad boy!".. way i see it, it dont matter too much when the stock speed is already overkill :lol:

Theres no such thing as "to fast" when it comes to computers ;)
Why not unlock the free(?) extra performance?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:29 am 

frankof wrote:
uni-sol wrote:
im not sure you even need to overclock with that beast.. when i take the plunge i wont be taking any risks, no matter what or who says things like "but..but you can get 5GhZ on that bad boy!".. way i see it, it dont matter too much when the stock speed is already overkill :lol:

Agree,it's just the same with cars freshly rolled out of the dealership,they all got a 10-15% unleashed power potential for whatever reason call it safety or longer life span,but there is a reasonable limit you should not cross when overclocking,for example if the temperatures or power consumption reaches over a limit where the extra 100Mghz are not worth it just step back a notch and enjoy what you have reached without risks.

Image Image

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:10 am 

frankof wrote:
uni-sol wrote:

i would tend to agree, but why would they not ship them with that free extra performance in the first place?

after a couple years, when you have had a good use out of your initial spend, then i see no harm in overclocking it, especially as games get more demanding etc.. :mrgreen: otherwise your potentially taking undue risk with a brand new product.. unless your well aware of the risks and are competent enough to do it safely. i just see no point in doing something that dont need to be done.. just because you can, isnt really great reasoning.

its something to be left to the pro's and enthusiasts i guess :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:14 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
.. just because you can, isnt really great reasoning.

Oh, yes it is, in this case at least :D
Its a bit more complex actually, you read up on stuff, test it out, fail, read more, test more.
In the process you learn bits and pieces.
I never met anyone that knew to much about computers either ;)

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:32 pm 

Dem@n wrote:
Temperatures in 5 way optimization are not accurate,they show lower temps by 4-5 degrees than they actually are.Use this http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/ to monitor cpu temp when you need to or want to,around 80 celsius should be your max highest limit for cpu consider every temp above wrong or too high for every day usage decreasing the lifespan of your cpu and increasing the chance of a bluescreen or malfunction.

If you are new to this,here is a recommendation to watch and get some tips https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHs5_TdpXE ,he is also Canadian but trustworthy.

I appreciate this. I did some more reading on tomshardware and was looking for a reliable cpu monitor. I do not plan to OC the cpu to over 4.4GHz for now. BTW, the evo 212 cooler was 2mm too long for my case so I picked up a Corsair Hydro Cooler. Ran me $30 over budget--not bad. Strange feeling putting a car radiator in a computer. Guess we will be using liquid nitrogen for my next build in 8 years.

uni-sol wrote:

just slap it in, slap windows/steam/AAPG on it and play.. enjoy the out of box performance and normal lifetime of product :mrgreen:

dont go killing it so soon :shock:

I only want to do light OC-ing just to benchmark and test. I will rollback to factory settings, get back in-game with y'all, and just enjoy the new build for a while then do OC-ing as it is needed.

=IK=Doba= wrote:
yeah dont use any programs from windows to OC! use BIOS..

Agreed. Like Demon said, I noticed the difference in measurements from BIOS vs Win proggy.

I am looking forward to comparisons of my old build vs new build especially with FPS. I will use the Valley Benchmark proggy and post some results later. I hope to be gaming this weekend.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:40 pm 

frankof wrote:
uni-sol wrote:
.. just because you can, isnt really great reasoning.

Oh, yes it is, in this case at least :D
Its a bit more complex actually, you read up on stuff, test it out, fail, read more, test more.
In the process you learn bits and pieces.
I never met anyone that knew to much about computers either ;)

This has a been a nice learning curve for me. I've never read so much stuff before on a build.

And this is one of those instances where the AA community shines.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:17 pm 

you can ignore me if you'd like, im just jealous you got your build before mine :lol:

i have OC'd before with my unlocked AMD processor, but the gains were mediocre at best before BSOD, the air cooling i had at the time didnt suffice and the CPU didnt like it and gave up, so in return i just kinda gave up and kept it a couple clocks over 3.0ghz stock, in a safe zone of 3.2, i could have got a better cooler but meh.. i was already thinking about going down the Intel route.

although, i doubt i shall be OC'ing my i7 for a while at least when i finally do get it. not much point really, but then i dont have it in my possession and minds can change in a millisecond when you see others getting 2000FPS and your only getting 1000 :lol:

suppose it boils down to games and how they are performing in line with your expectations, for example.. for me it may be how GTAV might perform, something tells me that game is gonna be a real sucker on performance when you start to raise up the graphical ante and a few more Mhz might help out. (i have simply got to blow the socks off my exclusive Xbox playing buddies, who swear by their console ) :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:06 pm 

uni-sol wrote:
you can ignore me if you'd like, im just jealous you got your build before mine :lol:

i have OC'd before with my unlocked AMD processor, but the gains were mediocre at best before BSOD, the air cooling i had at the time didnt suffice and the CPU didnt like it and gave up, so in return i just kinda gave up and kept it a couple clocks over 3.0ghz stock, in a safe zone of 3.2, i could have got a better cooler but meh.. i was already thinking about going down the Intel route.

although, i doubt i shall be OC'ing my i7 for a while at least when i finally do get it. not much point really, but then i dont have it in my possession and minds can change in a millisecond when you see others getting 2000FPS and your only getting 1000 :lol:

suppose it boils down to games and how they are performing in line with your expectations, for example.. for me it may be how GTAV might perform, something tells me that game is gonna be a real sucker on performance when you start to raise up the graphical ante and a few more Mhz might help out. (i have simply got to blow the socks off my exclusive Xbox playing buddies, who swear by their console ) :mrgreen:

I am grateful for everyone's input. The big question will be, "can I play better at 100+FPS compared to 40FPS?" Maybe not, but I want to look good dying.... :P

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:35 pm 

for sure better than 100 FPS.. however there will be drop offs

In some cases OC can be safe, ex. my Turbo mode (4.4Ghz) stock Vcore was 1.8x which is very high for i7. Im OC'ed 4.7Ghz@1.285 I believe.. or something close to that... I also have a water cooler and my temp are awesome.

SO its actually more beneficial for me to run OC'ed than stock Turbo.

Its why I asked earlier to check your stock turbo Vcore!!

Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:46 am 

=IK=Doba= wrote:
In some cases OC can be safe, ex. my Turbo mode (4.4Ghz) stock Vcore was 1.8x which is very high for i7. Im OC'ed 4.7Ghz@1.285 I believe.. or something close to that... I also have a water cooler and my temp are awesome.

SO its actually more beneficial for me to run OC'ed than stock Turbo.

Mine is almoust the same,every 100 Mhz above 4,7 voltage was close or above 1,3 at 4.9 Ghz 1,35 V and stress test ended in blue screen could reach it only by increasing the first 2 cores.

guess this is the silicon lottery they talk about on forums.

Image Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R