Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Questions on a new build.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:47 pm 

SLI is poorly supported, one good card is in most cases better, and yes, the GTX 960 is classed as a midrange card ;)

And getting a "8 year proof" gaming pc for under $1000 is about impossible.

1150 Z97 motherboard
i5/i7 fitting CPU (K suffix) as fast as you can afford.
+$300 video card, nvidia/amd as you feel like
8GB ram(2x4), 1600hz or so will do fine, low latency, low profile.
(the high clock RAM is good for the built in video solution, you not going to use that anyway)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 pm 

frankof wrote:
SLI is poorly supported, one good card is in most cases better, and yes, the GTX 960 is classed as a midrange card ;)

And getting a "8 year proof" gaming pc for under $1000 is about impossible.

I've done 8 year proof 2 times now so I hope to do it again. I agree on going single video card for now and wait until the Titan X is cheap. Plus less wattage, heat, and fan noise.

The CPU (i7-4790k) with some kind of Z97 MB is a done deal. Still considering the rest.

And thanks for all your opinions. Yall have been a big help!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 am 

io_i_oi wrote:
I've done 8 year proof 2 times now so I hope to do it again. I agree on going single video card for now and wait until the Titan X is cheap. Plus less wattage, heat, and fan noise.

The CPU (i7-4790k) with some kind of Z97 MB is a done deal. Still considering the rest.

And thanks for all your opinions. Yall have been a big help!

Titan X will never be cheap, so thats going to be a long wait :D

Check out AMD R9 280, Nvidia GTX 770 and higher. (high mid cards)

Rumors on the "street" is that Radeon R9 390X is going to be a beast, but we will have to wait till summer for the launch, but it looks promising.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:01 am 

1000 USD for a gpu,your wallet will scream HELP HELP,also i wouldn't bet a dime on AMD freesync,it's not working right now or far from promised,only beta drivers are available to make it work if it works at all and i'm not an nvidia fanboy just a realist.

around christmas like always new nvidia series will hit the stores where the flagship model will beat the titan x for half the price then another titan will appear and the never ending circle of money making/spending and marketing will continue.

Maybe in 3-4 years they will hit the power figures where gpu's can actually power on full frames with gsync/freesync a 4-5k monitor.Then i will start planning a new system again,untill then just sit on what i have.

btw i'm still surprised that 4 core Intel cpu's are not dead,we should be on 6-8 cores as a standart by now on accessible prices yet it's considered and sold for unreal premium money.

Image Image

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am 

Dem@n wrote:
btw i'm still surprised that 4 core Intel cpu's are not dead,we should be on 6-8 cores as a standart by now on accessible prices yet it's considered and sold for unreal premium money.

More cores dont work well for general computer tasks, its to hard to get it to work as intended, as you add more cores the efficiency drops, so, unless you run applications with special needs, faster single thread performance is what you need.
This is where intel has shown its strength lately, high IPC and strong single thread performance.
4 strong cores will beat 8 weak in 98% of consumer applications.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:34 pm 

I have a brand new Samsung 840 pro 256 gb I will sell for $100. You pay whatever it costs to ship and its yours if you want it.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:52 pm 

I had my heart set on the AMD FX 8 core Vishera since this old system has just the AMD Althlon X2 dual-core. But after seeing benchmarks comparing the i7 4790 quad-core, sad to say, AMD does not come close. Plus AMD has no supported MB's for PCI-e 3.0 GPU slots. You have to downgrade to their quad-core series to get support for that. And compare the AMD at 225W over Intel at 125W. I would have to spend another $100 on a water cool system instead of just $35 for a Evo 212 cooler for the Intel.

Even AMD admits that they are far behind on Intel's quad-core series that includes the i5, and I'm getting the i7.

I wanted a strong argument from you guys NOT to buy the AMD, and you won. Maybe in 8 years, I'll go back to AMD??

The GTX 960 2GB SuperSC should do me fine with the i7 since I already know what a GTX 750ti SC can do with my old AMD X2.

As for memory, I could drop down to 1600's and only 8GB to save $50 and move that toward a higher video card. This is where I am stuck at now, plus newegg sends special sales emails to me everyday. so I'm on the lookout for a cheap 980 to pop-up.

It's always easier to do a single upgrade vs a new system especially when you are trying to forecast where gaming will be a few years from now. I'm pretty sure AA will be the same though. :P

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 pm 

Hyperlite wrote:
I have a brand new Samsung 840 pro 256 gb I will sell for $100. You pay whatever it costs to ship and its yours if you want it.

sounds like a good deal to me considering it costs 300 USD + new.

Image Image

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 pm 

io_i_oi wrote:

As for memory, I could drop down to 1600's and only 8GB to save $50 and move that toward a higher video card. This is where I am stuck at now, plus newegg sends special sales emails to me everyday. so I'm on the lookout for a cheap 980 to pop-up.

now you're thinking.. saving the money on something with insignificant performance difference and putting it towards something that will increase performance big time!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm 

It is a good deal but you can't use any online retailer as an example. The newer version of this SSD cost around 150 for this size. For whatever reason online retailers seem to think that supply/demand justify such an outrageous price. Only a complete idiot would pay that much for an older drive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R