Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Questions on a new build.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:54 pm 

After about 9 years on my AMD X2, 8GB, 8600GT (upgraded to GTX 750ti last year) I am finally doing a new build and need some input from some super geeks in here.

The build is (I only use AMD CPUs):
-AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W
-ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
-EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Graphics Card
-Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Five (5) Preinstalled Fans, Side Window Panel, Top HDD Dock

I already have some Sata HDDs that I will transfer over. My questions are:

Will I ever use an SLI VC because I had SLI support before but just had to upgrade a single VC?

What's the difference over Proc Streams vs CUDA Cores? Is CUDA more for Photoshop use?

What is a good Power Supply and wattage? 500w or more? I plan on using more USB DVD drives and such and SSHDDs in the future plus the new case has a Sata dock.

Is liquid cooling really necessary?

I don't see any PCI 3.0 support MB's. I do have about a $900 budget.

With my old CPU and GTX 750 VC, I am seeing 45-60 FPS at 1920x1080 for AAPG, what FPS can I expect with the new build?

Any other input is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Questions on a new build.
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:41 pm 

Quote:
The build is (I only use AMD CPUs)

Ok, any good reason for that?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:57 pm 

yeah with a budget of $900 I would go intel i7 4790K .. 900 without having to but a GFX Card is more than enough.

Youre basically looking at my old PC .. FX-8350.. M5A97.. I had 8 gig ram.. the extra wont help you much... I hve a gtx780sc you have a 750

with my old build I was getting highs of 150+ FPS but lows on certain maps were down in the 90's.. Oh I was OC'ed at 4.1Ghz on Air

with your 750 and stock CPU I would expect something like 120highs.. 80's lows.. with a slight ini tweak you could probably maintain 120fps though

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:12 pm 

Yea, intel is proven better than AMD.

Contact Me:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089209982/

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

Doba, just getting a new CPU is not an option since I will be giving my son this old system and letting him keep the GTX750ti so he can do some gaming.

I found out that CUDA vs Proc Streams is basically the same.

The 16GB of ram is for Windoze 10 (when it's released down the road).

I still haven't found any info on the necessity of SLI and using dual cards. At least for my use. It seems that Graphic Cards are changing so fast that it's better for me to just buy a single card now then upgrade again in a few years like I did with the old system.

The AMD FX is only 125watts so liquid cooling would only be necessary if I start OCing stuff.

I am still trying to find another MB with PCI 3.0e support. The CPU I want above is AM3+ socket but I only find PCI 3.0e Mobos for the FM2+ sockets. Weird??

As for why I prefer AMD over Intel is that I have owned both. Intel runs way cooler but is way more expensive. If I didn't support AMD then none of you could afford Intel... Competition!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:16 pm 

io_i_oi wrote:
As for why I prefer AMD over Intel is that I have owned both. Intel runs way cooler but is way more expensive. If I didn't support AMD then none of you could afford Intel... Competition!

Thats noble of you, thank you.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:19 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-SABERTOOTH-9 ... B008YDJHWM

your only MoBo available to meet your standards

16 Gig is excessive, I'd save the money 8 is enough.. I just uninstalled Win10 .. back to 7 baby!! Stability>all

Yes SLI isnt the best option, sure if works but its got its downsides.. 1 higher end card will do the job!

Again Had the chip up to 4.1Ghz on Air cooled, old Thermalright 120 with push pull config

Yes AMD is cheaper and I too supported it for over 10 yrs..

Quite honestly even now after spending hundreds of $$ on upgrading from that AMD to intel I still have to tweak ini for solid FPS.. could have done the same with the AMD.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:39 pm 

You're welcome, frankof.

Doba, I looked into the Sabertooth mobo at Amazon too but found out it doesn't have PCI-e 3.0 according to user reviews:

does this amd motherboard have a x16 PCI 3.0 express slot and does this have ultra durable 3 or 4? Jan 12, 2014
No, this mb does not have PCIE 3.0. Only the Gen 3 board does, but they are not produced any more. You don't even use that throughput on a video card anyways. UD3 and UD4 is a Gigabyte clarification. This mb uses TUF components that are military standard. It is a more reliable board than what Gigabyte makes, however, Gigabyte is a good brand.

Then I went to Asus website directly to search for one and found this:
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SAB ... XGEN3_R20/
it specifies "GEN3" and PCI 3.0

BUT newegg has that one out-of-stock and redirects you to a "newer" version which is the PCI-e 2.0 board.

So how can a "newer" version be a downgraded board or am I missing something here?? Isn't PCI 3.0 newer technology over 2.0??

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:53 pm 

So... answering my own post...

After much "googling" it seems that AMD has dropped support of PCI-e 3.0 for some secret reason. Opinions on other PC websites are that there is no measurable difference from PCI 2.0 to 3.0. Rumors are that AMD is getting ready to launch some other technology more advance over PCI-e 3.0.

I ahve about another 2 weeks or so before I start my new build order. If I can't find an AM3+ PCI 3.0 supported MB by that time then I guess I'll have to go to Intel?? I really had my hopes on an 8-core CPU but I'm not spending the $1000. for an i7.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:31 am 

Since this topic is about AMD i have nothing to say other than get an SSD as a system drive if you never owned one before it will change your world.Even an i5 will outperform that 8 core playing any game.

Image Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R