Board index » America's Army - General » R&R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Animated Sigs
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:06 am 
AACM
AACM

There has been some discussion as to whether we should allow animated signatures on the forums or not.

Some people like them, others find them distracting and annoying.

Keeping in mind it has to be one rule for all, I would appreciate the general forums opinion on this issue before I make a call on it.

The floor is yours.

Post subject: Re: Animated Sigs
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:12 am 

Don't mind animated signatures as long as they're not obnoxious.

There are two users I have in mind on these forums who do have obnoxious animated signatures though.

I have seen some nice signatures that are animated.. but something which sole purpose is to infuriate those who read it..is not appreciated

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:17 am 

I go the easy way and simply Ad Block signatures I don't like. It's as easy as right click - block image.

I don't mind animated signatures as long as they aren't annoying.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:38 am 

The trouble with a one-size-fits-all rule is that some animations are subtle (gentle flickering, slow color changes, etc) and others are meant to distract (anything that deserves a seizure warning, fast movements, and so on).

It seems like this is the space where common sense and moderator decisions should dictate what's permissible.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:11 pm 

xinon wrote:
I go the easy way and simply Ad Block signatures I don't like. It's as easy as right click - block image.

I don't mind animated signatures as long as they aren't annoying.

Exactly what I do for annoying sigs.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:12 pm 

i used to have an animated sig of the prone takedown, until someone joked about the soldier who was getting knocked out was colored. dont get me wrong, im sure it wasnt intended to imply im racist, as the image was taken out of the game.. nor had i even had any such thought after making the image that it would/could be looked at like that.. so i took the whole thing as a joke, which im sure it was.. but the very fact someone even mentioned it, it got me thinking how it could be seen as 'racial' so i removed the sig, out of respect and common sense.

i mean, if its something pertaining to the game, or harmless then i see no issue with them. i think anyone who uses something overly silly or out of the ordinary, is likely either seeking attention, or is trying to bypass the forum rules, knowing the image will cause unrest.

in any case its about common sense and for me its about knowing a limit.

Last edited by uni-sol on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:13 pm 

I agree with all the above. I have seen some really good animated sigs, but I have seen some really bad ones also. As long as they aren't intentionally distracting I think they should be allowed. It shouldn't be that difficult to determine the difference. Flashing, fast moving, fast changing should not be allowed. Fading, slow transitioning, random sigs should be allowed.

Putting all animated sigs into the same category is not the right decision I believe. But I can respect that from a moderation POV it's easier to go with a all or nothing approach. But really, this issue just recently popped up because of a few recent posters. Everyone else has had the respect and maturity to refrain from such behavior for the most part. Don't let a few bad eggs ruin it for the rest of us who might find or create a GOOD animated gif.

Steam --> ℑąƙ
Stats --> ℑąƙ

Quote:
Only because a mod asked nicely.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:57 pm 

Like others have mentioned I see no problems with animating text with a lens flare, a shadow movement, glowing or something. Even a section of it with movement. I have seen a lot of really cool signatures with animations..

But I agree with

BCPull wrote:
It seems like this is the space where common sense and moderator decisions should dictate what's permissible.

This should be a moderator decision. If complaints are received, or if the moderator feels it is unreasonable, it should be removed. I can already see that for #1, we are already at that point (I've seen at least 10 people ask one member to remove his signature.)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm 

well mines very distracting but in a nice way, (i think)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:28 pm 

You got Animation Signature

and

Animation Signature

i like animation signature, if its in a limit

(V) (',,') (V)

TO DO IS TO BE, TO BE IS TO DO, DO BE DO BE DO

Pipeline

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » America's Army - General » R&R