Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: UMM Competition - Snom & RedBaron Interview
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm 
AACM
AACM

With just a few days until the results of the next cut is announced, we thought it would be good idea to get to know each of our Top Five finalists. We were able to spend a few minutes with Snom and RedBaron and ask them a few questions their AAPG map building experiences. We hope to do the same with the remaining three finalists shortly and will publish those interviews as we receive them.

AAPG: Tell us a bit about yourself!

Snom: Not really much to tell. Just a regular shift working 39yo with two kids. Between keeping my Mrs, kids and rag tag bunch of (=R*C=) clan mates happy, just love kicking back with a beer and a good game.

AAPG: How long have you been playing America’s Army for?

Snom: Around 2006 was introduced by a friend to try this game 'AA'. Been hooked ever since.

AAPG: RedBaron64-ITA ?

RedBaron64-ITA : I'm a mature Italian player and I began playing AAO2 in 2006. It immediately became my favorite fps game (my first fps was call of duty, followed by call of duty 2).

It was a very immersive game with a strong but balanced level of difficulty. It was really a masterpiece online fps and the community of gamers was excellent. With the launch of AA3 I stopped playing the loved AA2 but, as we know, AA3 didn't work very well so i stopped playing it. AAPG is a promising game and the hope is to come back to the good old times.

AAPG: How much experience do you have making levels?

Snom: Not much. My first attempt at any sort of map making was with Highwall, learning how to use the basic editor. Deadend is my 3rd attempt ever, but I'm getting there. We all have to start somewhere...LOL.

RedBaron64-ITA : Before AAME i tried making levels with 'cod' radiant but it was a hard and frustrating experience. The approach the Devs used for the AA Mission Editor is really good. The simplified version is ideal for avoiding the really difficult initial learning curve
of the UDK. Beginning with the 'little Ed' makes it easier to jump on the 'big Ed', discover the numerous features and realize more sophisticated levels

AAPG: What was your approach and thought process going in to the creation of your map?

RedBaron64-ITA : First of all I chose the main environment idea (a working modern cargo station on night time) and then searched for the visual references (images and drawings) - i.e. http://wallpaperswide.com/train_station ... apers.html and http://www.panoramio.com/photo/40947610

Once I decided on the visual theme I drew a provisional plan of the station with various terrain levels and focal points. With that first drawing I decided the type of mission to execute. Having chosen the objectives and their locations I realized a second and definitive plan with routes and buildings. Considering the idea (night time) and the visual references, it was clear that two aspects were crucial: lighting (environment colors) and architectural coherence.

Snom: I try to create 'work for' maps. The objective should be tough. A reward.

I love maps that have shoot outs, that you get pinned in and it creates a bit of panic. This is what good maps should do, I believe. Get you excited and that's what I tried to create.
When I decided to make Deadend, I had a rough idea and concept of the lay out in my head. I wanted to make something that had a combination of both close quarters combat but also had openness, so you would not know exactly where you where getting hit from.

From that Deadend was born.

AAPG: Why did you choose the mission type that you did?

Snom: I built the concept of the map I had in my head first. Then chose the mission type to suit the map. I chose extract because it gives the players opportunity to use the whole map and adds options to complete the objective.

AAPG: Approximately how many hours have you put in to the map?

Snom: Too many. Approx 150+ (10 weeks). Not being very experienced with the editor took a lot longer to achieve what I wanted.

RedBaron64-ITA : I didn't think about it before but not less than 80-100 hours.

AAPG: What were the biggest obstacles or challenges you faced when making the map?

RedBaron64-ITA : Lighting was surely the 'big' problem for quantity, dislocations and mixing of colors. The visual references gave me a great help: always use 'real' references and your ideas will become surely easier to realize.

Snom: Learning how to use the advanced editor. At first it is quite intimidating but slowly getting better at it. Still got a lot to learn though. Also, trying to test maps can be hard if you don't have many bodies on.

AAPG: If you had more time, what changes or additions would you make to the map?

RedBaron64-ITA : Probably a better tuning of initial spawn approaches for both teams, to avoid defenders immediately gaining a positional advantage on attackers. Another improvement could be made on the surrounding and outside areas of the map.

AAPG: Which of the Top 6 maps, other than your own, are you most excited about and why?

Snom: To be honest I couldn't pick. Unfortunately I haven't played them with a lot of people on the server. Going through them all though, I'm glad I'm not a judge. I can see why they are all in the top 6 and I feel lucky to be in with them.

RedBaron64-ITA : I like Congress Centre for the originality of the concept; the visual appeal is really interesting.

AAPG: Will you be making more maps in the future? If so, what type of map do you want to make?

Snom: I think I've caught the bug...LOL. So, I think yes. I have a few concepts rattling around but haven't decided exactly yet.

AAPG: Is there anything else you would like to say to us and the community?

RedBaron64-ITA : As mapper (yet really inexperienced player at this stage) I'd like to suggest to the AA team to promote and optimize the use of UMMs and to give us VIP mode (do not forget to continue making new map contests). My suggestions for the community are to be more courageous and promote intensively the best User Made Maps.

Snom: I just hope everyone enjoys the map and tries out some of the other great maps in the workshop. We all do it for fun. Either way the community is better for it.
For those who have been thinking of giving the editor a try, go for it. The support and help has been nothing short of exceptional.

AAPG:Thanks for your time guys! If you haven't done so already, you check out both of these exciting maps by downloading them from the Steam workshop, and keep watching for more Top Six interview!

Night Infiltration
Author: RedBaron64-ITA
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =318470093

DeadendFLO
Author: =R*C=-snom-
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =322083929

Post subject: Re: UMM Competition - Snom & RedBaron Interview
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:28 pm 

Great read..
Congrats both of you for sticking with the editor and creating those environs.
Really impressive maps..

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:24 pm 

Nice Snom, Shiftworking with two kids. Beer and gaming. Lots ofthe same.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:59 pm 

Great read guys. congrats and good luck the rest of the way. Job well done.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:11 am 

Great Interview guys, best of luck and all the best with your map making!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:36 pm 

what the heck? why wasnt this highlighted in my unread posts/threads? i had only seen the Video of Drecks interview! i stumbled on this by chance while browsing the 'News & Announcements' subforum..

.. anyways, these interviews are awesome! i only wish more people actually played the UMM comp servers so everyone can see how great you guys have done with these maps!

Good Luck in the comp guys :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:02 am 

Glad to there's a mapping community here. Good luck on the comp!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:35 am 

Twrecks wrote:
Glad to there's a mapping community here. Good luck on the comp!

Yep! The maps are all first class and we have some of our own people here too!!

Welcome Twrecks!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » America's Army: Proving Grounds » News & Announcements